Per aspera ad astra

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Aspera

Per aspera ad astra

Postby Aspera » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 am

What brings you to Liberation Unleashed?:

My love for finding the truth and a strong desire to really experientially understand who I really am. I attended Sri Chinmoy meditation sessions 5 years ago and that's when I experienced the first glimpses of how beautiful the universe is. I would sit and cry on the bus on my commute to work being overwhelmed form the joy and love. These moments of expansion come to be from time to time and I just experience immense sense of freedom and love. I would like this to be my daily experience to wake up in the morning and to feel already at peace. I don't want to constantly read/listen to tapes and talks to remind myself of who I am. I just want to permanently know it full stop.

What are you looking for? What do you expect from this?:

I am looking to dissolve the attachment to my body-mind and to melt into who I am really are. I would like to have a sensation of more space around me on a daily basis to be able to detach from situations and react form a true place withing myself rather than from a conditional self. The place where I experience the most resistance and contraction on a daily basis is my work and I just want to be at peace with it. Ideally i would like to change my job but understand that it is only secondary, I want to go to work and be at peace with whatever happens at work.

Also I would like to be able to really accept people for who they really are without judging them in my head and wishing/feeling for them to be different than they really are. I would like to connect to my friends and family on a deeper lever and having a loving connections rather than being identified with a story of who they are in my head. I want to be present when i interact with them and meet them there and then, right at that moment.

I no longer wish to criticize, judge myself and I really would like to be at peace with my experience. I am teaching yoga for 2 years and every time I go to teach I worry if my class is going to be good enough or not, as I am only a recently qualified teacher. I just want to teach from that place of pure awareness, love and kindness and enjoy the teaching.

I would like to be more intuitive and in touch with myself, as it takes me a long time to make a decision from simple things like what to eat to more complicated ones like how to further proceed with my carrier.

Ultimately I would like to build a beautiful family and have a deep love for my partner and love for my children and give them loving and nurturing space to develop and grow and share what I discovered with others.

What is your background in terms of seeking and inquiry?:

Attending non-duality talks with Rupert Spira and also one to one inquiry with non-dual teacher Ellen Emmet. Other influencers include Mooji, Adja Shanti, Francis Lucille, Eckhart Tolle. I have attended Sri Chinmoy meditation sessions, Brahma Kumaris meditation center/talks/events/retreat, currently practicing yoga/pranayama, practicing Buddhist inspired loving kindness meditations.

How ready are you to question your beliefs about who you are and see the truth no matter what? On a scale from one to ten (ten being most ready). : 11

JonathanR

Re: Per aspera ad astra

Postby JonathanR » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi Aspera,

Welcome to Liberation Unleashed, my name is Jon.

One of the things that you mention is

' a strong desire to really experientially understand who I really am'.

That's interesting. Do you suppose there really is a 'who'?

When I look at the experience of life I can't find a 'who' or even a 'what', only the experience that unfolds in each moment.

I'm offering to guide you but not towards the realisation of any dreams. What we do here is guide towards a realisation that there is no self. How this may be experienced cannot be predicted.

To do this, we will have a conversation, a chat as between friends if you like? I must ask quite a few questions and it will be for you to look at your experience.

Are you ready to start?

Best wishes,

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi Jon

Thank you for your message, it is lovely to meet you!

I agree that there is no 'who' experiencing life, there is only an experience of being aware of things through our senses, such as an experience of hearing when I type this message; experience of touch when my fingers touch the keyboard..and that awareness is all there really is to my experience. However, most of the time, the awareness mistakes itself to be a separate self- a thought or a feeling and I guess it takes practice (meditation/retreats etc) or grace for the awareness to expand and recognize itself for what it is.

Dream is only a thought projection of a situation in a future, which separate self believes will make itself happy, and hence is an illusion. I would love to be guided towards the truth instead, even though my separate self has a lot of dreams.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Warmly

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Aspera

Ok let's begin.

Please tell me what it is that you think 'you' are?

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Jon

'I' am this aware being that is quite difficult to describe with words. 'It' has no physical element to it, no boundaries. When my mind is present the experience in the body is tingling sensations, sense of immense peace and calm on emotional level. 'It' remains unaffected by any outer experience. My emotional body can feel sense of resentment, enthusiasm, boredom and other emotions in relation to various events. But beneath it all, there is ‘something’ that is able to observe the emotional roller-coaster with corresponding thinking pattern. ‘It’ was there when I was new born baby, teenager and it is here now as I write this to you. ‘It’ has remained unchanged despite the changes in my physical appearance, thinking & behavioral patterns.

This is what I think ‘I’ am, but when I asked myself this question, my mind became tense and there was a sense of fear (of not being able to describe it to you, that my English is not good enough to put it in words, as I am not a native speaker etc, that I am going to be kicked out of the portal :) etc) But my true ‘I’ was somewhat able to watch it all arise in my body mind.

Not sure how long my answers are supposed to be, I am trying to put as much detail as I can so that you can pick some pointers to direct me further.

With gratitude

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi Aspera,

Your reply is just great, thank you. Not too long an intellectual and not so short that I need to keep asking what you mean. Thank you.

By the way, try to use the 'quote' function that is available at the top of the editing window. When you click on this, little brackets appear and you can 'paste' any quote between these brackets. When you later submit the post the quoted text is highlighted...
This is what I think ‘I’ am, but when I asked myself this question, my mind became tense and there was a sense of fear (of not being able to describe it to you, that my English is not good enough to put it in words, as I am not a native speaker etc, that I am going to be kicked out of the portal :) etc) But my true ‘I’ was somewhat able to watch it all arise in my body mind.
(Don't worry. I won't kick you out :-)

Interesting that there was tension at this question. What is it that feels tension? Look at that. Is there a 'me' 'feeling tension' or is it simply tension appearing?

Tension or fear is often a good starting point. There is a perception that something is threatened, possibly a felt need to defend, hence a tension? Otherwise why feel tense at this question?

This tension was noticed, yes? What is it that notices the noticing of tension? Is that 'you'?

Look at whatever it is that notices such a feeling.

Please thank the tension very much for making an appearance and for being so loyal and attempting to protect. The fear or tension is a kind of love but there never was a self to protect. Nothing can be hurt. See if it is possible to have a little talk with the feeling of fear and ask it if it would like to relax now?

Let me know how this goes?

Love,

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:23 am

Good Morning Jon
(Don't worry. I won't kick you out :-)
Thank you so much for such a reassuring message; I am relieved to know that I am not going to be kicked out :) One of the strongest emotions and thought patterns I have is -I am not good enough, my mind is not clever enough, hence my doubt and insecurity of being thrown out of the forum.
Interesting that there was tension at this question. What is it that feels tension? Look at that. Is there a 'me' 'feeling tension' or is it simply tension appearing?
First, I can notice the thoughts appearing in my head such as- 'question 'who am I' is beyond my mind's comprehension. Then tension arises in my body in the form of sensation- there is sensation of tightness in the temple area & chest, cramp in my stomach. And, yes, there is a 'me' feeling to the tension, that it is somehow 'my' tension, because it is caused by 'my' thought process and subsequently manifests itself in 'my' body.
Tension or fear is often a good starting point. There is a perception that something is threatened, possibly a felt need to defend, hence a tension? Otherwise why feel tense at this question?
It feels like my mind wants to be protected from this type of questioning,and that what is asked and also composing the answers is 'too much' for my mind to handle. I am scared, that, if I challenge my current thinking process and understanding of the world, I can 'loose my marbles' , or 'be away with the fairies'.
This tension was noticed, yes? What is it that notices the noticing of tension? Is that 'you'?
Yes, the tension was noticed. It was noticed by some sort of observing presence.
Please thank the tension very much for making an appearance and for being so loyal and attempting to protect. The fear or tension is a kind of love but there never was a self to protect. Nothing can be hurt. See if it is possible to have a little talk with the feeling of fear and ask it if it would like to relax now?
It is relaxing to know that fear is a kind of love and that I don't need to judge and resent the fear. Usually fear comes with a label of an 'unwanted emotion', an emotion that needs to be vanquished as soon as possible. When I asked the fear 'would you like to relax now?' there was nothing/no fear there to reply back to my question. There was however a feeling of more calm, and tightness in the chest soften and let go a notch.

Many thanks for providing such a loving and nurturing space for the exploration.

With much warmth

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi Aspera,
First, I can notice the thoughts appearing in my head such as- 'question 'who am I' is beyond my mind's comprehension. Then tension arises in my body in the form of sensation- there is sensation of tightness in the temple area & chest, cramp in my stomach. And, yes, there is a 'me' feeling to the tension, that it is somehow 'my' tension, because it is caused by 'my' thought process and subsequently manifests itself in 'my' body.
Strange as it might seem this is a good place to start. We will look at 'in my body' in a moment.

Yes, thought processes are quite a thing. We will look at those in a while.
It feels like my mind wants to be protected from this type of questioning,and that what is asked and also composing the answers is 'too much' for my mind to handle. I am scared, that, if I challenge my current thinking process and understanding of the world, I can 'loose my marbles' , or 'be away with the fairies'.
These feelings are very common. Nothing can or will get hurt because there is nothing actually 'there' that needs protection or will be harmed. You will be just as capable of reason by the end of this conversation as you are now but there can certainly be a narrative that 'says' otherwise. When really challenged there appears to be a 'me' that 'doesn't want to investigate.
It is relaxing to know that fear is a kind of love and that I don't need to judge and resent the fear. Usually fear comes with a label of an 'unwanted emotion', an emotion that needs to be vanquished as soon as possible. When I asked the fear 'would you like to relax now?' there was nothing/no fear there to reply back to my question. There was however a feeling of more calm, and tightness in the chest soften and let go a notch.
This is good. Relax and remember to let the fear know it is valued and it has been doing a good job all this time. But it is free to relax. Let me know if there are any upsurges in anxiety as we go on.

Here is an investigation to try:

Let's start with the body and the senses because 'self' is often identified with body. Take seeing, for example.
Conventionally we tend to say 'I see' and it may (or may not) be assumed that it is 'me' that is the body that is doing the seeing.

So - Right now examine your experience.
The words on the screen are being seen. What are they being seen by?
From thought, we have the idea that 'I see the screen'.
So what is 'I'? What can be found right here and now in your experience that is 'seeing the screen'.

Can anything be found? There is the thought 'I see', but is there actually an 'I' to be found that does the seeing?
If so, what is that?
Do you experience a body seeing? Or would you say that there is just 'seeing'? Just the experience alone?

See how it goes.

love

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Jon
The words on the screen are being seen. What are they being seen by?
From thought, we have the idea that 'I see the screen'.
So what is 'I'? What can be found right here and now in your experience that is 'seeing the screen'?
Can anything be found? There is the thought 'I see', but is there actually an 'I' to be found that does the seeing?
If so, what is that?
There is a definitely a thought that 'I see'. There is also a feeling of soreness in my eyes as I have stared at the screen for quite some time. But there doesn't seem to be anything else apart from the thought and the feeling in my experience of seeing. I can not find 'I' that the thought belongs to; the thought 'I see' just happens.
Do you experience a body seeing? Or would you say that there is just 'seeing'? Just the experience alone?
I would say that there is just seeing as I can not identify a bodily ownership to the seeing. My eyes are technically seeing the image and passing it to my brain, which forms thoughts. But I do not experience this process of sensory input coming from my eyes to the brain; what I can experience is the act of seeing.

I also wanted to share that it feels challenging to answer your questions, as my inner critic & perfectionist is constantly judging my responses and trying to find faults in my answers and perfect the answers as much as possible before i submit them!

Thank you for your continuous support.

Warmly

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Aspers,
There is a definitely a thought that 'I see'. There is also a feeling of soreness in my eyes as I have stared at the screen for quite some time
Excellent work. just a note though. Staring may suggest trying a bit too intently. It can be more gentle than this, a kind of inquisitiveness. It can even be playful. This is your inquiry, your plaything. Enjoy it. A little focus maybe but not much effort.
I can not find 'I' that the thought belongs to; the thought 'I see' just happens.
How interesting that is. Can a thought be created or prevented from appearing?

Try creating or 'thinking' a thought. Is it possible? Is there a 'you' that actually 'does' this? Or do thoughts all simply appear (along with some sort of thought-label 'I think'?)

Important Is it possible to prevent a thought from appearing? including the thought 'I'?
I would say that there is just seeing as I can not identify a bodily ownership to the seeing. My eyes are technically seeing the image and passing it to my brain, which forms thoughts. But I do not experience this process of sensory input coming from my eyes to the brain; what I can experience is the act of seeing.
Good. So you have looked past logical explanations for how things are supposed to happen, to what IS actually experienced here, in the moment.

It is worth investigating other senses too. Look at hearing now. Sit somewhere where you won't be disturbed and simply notice whatever is heard. There may be very quiet sounds such as breathing? Maybe a bird call or the noise of a fridge humming? Perhaps louder or distant noises, a car passing, someone shouts? Whatever is experienced just notice the experience. In this experience are 'ears' found 'hearing' or is there simply the heard? Is 'a body' or 'me' doing hearing?

There may be thoughts appearing too. Are these part of the direct experience of the heard, or are they something extra added on? A sort of commentary or story?

Perhaps focus a little on a somewhat distant sound, a plane noise or something. Can you find a gap or line in the experience beyond which hearing ends and the sound begins?
I also wanted to share that it feels challenging to answer your questions, as my inner critic & perfectionist is constantly judging my responses and trying to find faults in my answers and perfect the answers as much as possible before i submit them!
Thank you for sharing this. I am not in the least perturbed. you are doing really well and you know the inner critic may suddenly disappear off on holiday soon ;-)

Best wishes,

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:45 pm

It can be more gentle than this, a kind of inquisitiveness. It can even be playful. This is your inquiry, your plaything. Enjoy it. A little focus maybe but not much effort.
Ahh thank you for this helpful tip. I think I am trying too hard indeed, will try and approach it more lightly!
How interesting that is. Can a thought be created or prevented from appearing?
I can not witness a creation of the thought anywhere. Likewise, I can not prevent a thought from happening. The thought seems to arise randomly by itself without an invitation.
Try creating or 'thinking' a thought. Is it possible? Is there a 'you' that I actually 'does' this? Or do thoughts all simply appear (along with some sort of thought-label 'I think'?)
I can not create a thought, it creates itself. When I attempt to create a thought, the thought already thinks itself before I can intervene in the content of the thought. Say , for instance, I would like to create a thought 'this chair is blue', but the moment this thought is created it is simultaneously observed. I can not think of a thought before it is thought, if that makes sense. It seems rather strange discovery!
Important Is it possible to prevent a thought from appearing? including the thought 'I'?
No, it is't possible to prevent it, including the thought 'I'.
It is worth investigating other senses too. Look at hearing now. Sit somewhere where you won't be disturbed and simply notice whatever is heard. There may be very quiet sounds such as breathing? Maybe a bird call or the noise of a fridge humming? Perhaps louder or distant noises, a car passing, someone shouts? Whatever is experienced just notice the experience. In this experience are 'ears' found 'hearing' or is there simply the heard? Is 'a body' or 'me' doing hearing?
I can notice the sound of the breath, the clock ticking, the dishwasher ,the wind and birds chirping. There are simply these different noises experienced and there is no apparent hearer found, neither in the form of 'me', nor the body. Like eyes, ears are passing the sensory input to the brain, but this process is not found in my direct experience.
There may be thoughts appearing too. Are these part of the direct experience of the heard, or are they something extra added on? A sort of commentary or story?
The thoughts are partially related to what is being heard, i.e. 'I hear the bird call'. There are also some others thoughts like 'I can not recognize this bird', 'What sound am I going to hear next', 'What is the point of this hearing exercise, it is the same as the seeing exercise' etc. So there is an added element of analysis to what is directly experienced going on.
Perhaps focus a little on a somewhat distant sound, a plane noise or something. Can you find a gap or line in the experience beyond which hearing ends and the sound begins?
I went out of the house and heard a loud noise coming from somewhere. As it is overcast, I did not straight away identify what is the nature of the noise; it could have been a train or an airplane. Then I listened more carefully and realized that it was a noise coming from the plane. So the gap was when the identification of the source of what's heard took place and the subsequent recognition 'it is the sound of the airplane' happened.
I am not in the least perturbed. you are doing really well and you know the inner critic may suddenly disappear off on holiday soon ;-)
Haha, I would love that, 'she' is overdue a long holiday with a one way ticket only ;)

Sincerely

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi Aspera,
I can not create a thought, it creates itself. When I attempt to create a thought, the thought already thinks itself before I can intervene in the content of the thought. Say , for instance, I would like to create a thought 'this chair is blue', but the moment this thought is created it is simultaneously observed. I can not think of a thought before it is thought, if that makes sense. It seems rather strange discovery!
Very good. It does make sense and it is a mysterious discovery isn't it? An important one too.
No, it is't possible to prevent it, including the thought 'I'.
If each thought is always ABOUT something, has content, an image or idea that is only as real as the thought its self, could that mean that 'I' is simply thought? You may have heard this one... when we are young we all tend to naturally believe that Santa Claus is a real guy that comes down a chimney with presents. Then, at some point there is a dawning, after which is it really possible to not see that this was a fiction, that there never was the entity imagined?

You have been investigating seeing and hearing and have been quite successful at not finding a self so far making those senses happen. You may like to test each of the other senses in turn just to be sure? Touch, taste and smell are all really experienced. But is there a 'someone' having or experiencing experience? Is there even 'a body' experiencing? Thought may say so but look right at what is actually experienced.

Sitting on a chair with feet resting on the floor, there may be a sensation right now of warmth, of slight pressure or tingling experienced where 'feet' and 'floor' meet? Look at that sensation and see if there is anyone 'separate', behind the scenes somewhere, that is experiencing it, or if the whole sensation is just happening?

love,

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Good evening Jon
If each thought is always ABOUT something, has content, an image or idea that is only as real as the thought its self, could that mean that 'I' is simply thought? You may have heard this one... when we are young we all tend to naturally believe that Santa Claus is a real guy that comes down a chimney with presents. Then, at some point there is a dawning, after which is it really possible to not see that this was a fiction, that there never was the entity imagined?
Yes, it seems like ‘I’ is a thought or rather a compilation of thoughts gathered around our experience of behavior, body, relationships, etc. but NOT the experience itself… I have some questions coming up at this point if it’s okay for me to rise them and I’m not jumping the gun. If thoughts come to us randomly, why is it that 90% our thought content is the same as the day before reinforcing ‘I’? And why is that all children learn about the non-existence of Santa Claus while not everyone finds out about the imaginary self? And what determines that my experience of tasting something differs from other person’s experience of tasting exactly the same thing ?

You have been investigating seeing and hearing and have been quite successful at not finding a self so far making those senses happen. You may like to test each of the other senses in turn just to be sure? Touch, taste and smell are all really experienced. But is there a 'someone' having or experiencing experience? Is there even 'a body' experiencing? Thought may say so but look right at what is actually experienced.
Touch- I was in the car holding my steering wheel and when I focused on my experience, it was almost as if there was no distinction between my hands and the wheel. The feeling of warmth, the ridges, dense texture of the wheel was all that there was to my experience. I have experience this in meditations too- no separation between the air and the body, just this tingling vibration.

Taste- As I was sipping plum juice and was totally present and immersed in the experience, there was just an experience of the sweetness and consistency of the juice. I was more present than usual when drinking and there even seemed to be a bigger delay of thought coming in and recognising it as a plum juice. There was ‘no one’ apparent there having an experience, the taste just was.

Ditto with the smell- the fragrant smell grapefruit and bergamot scent of the perfume stick was all that could be experienced when immersed in smelling.
Sitting on a chair with feet resting on the floor, there may be a sensation right now of warmth, of slight pressure or tingling experienced where 'feet' and 'floor' meet? Look at that sensation and see if there is anyone 'separate', behind the scenes somewhere, that is experiencing it, or if the whole sensation is just happening?
Similar to what was experienced, when I was holding the steering wheel, slight pressure, tingling, warmth was experienced when focusing on the foot; foot and the ground somewhat merged.

Kindly

Aspera

JonathanR

Postby JonathanR » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Aspera
Yes, it seems like ‘I’ is a thought or rather a compilation of thoughts gathered around our experience of behavior, body, relationships, etc. but NOT the experience itself… I have some questions coming up at this point if it’s okay for me to rise them and I’m not jumping the gun. If thoughts come to us randomly, why is it that 90% our thought content is the same as the day before reinforcing ‘I’? And why is that all children learn about the non-existence of Santa Claus while not everyone finds out about the imaginary self? And what determines that my experience of tasting something differs from other person’s experience of tasting exactly the same thing ?
In this inquiry I'm keen to present you with questions that can be investigated in experience. This way I'm not presenting you with new beliefs, just questioning existing ones and pointing you towards exploring the nature of your ownexperience rather than asking you to take on second-hand ideas about 'the way things are'.

In the case of thoughts, for example, I would not say that they come to us 'randomly' because randomly immediately presupposes some kind of condition (of randomness). I don't know that thoughts are appearing randomly. It might seem that they appear randomly but in the same statement you say it seems 90% of them are the same as yesterdays, so that doesn't look so random.

At the same time I wouldn't say that today's thoughts are 90% 'the same' as yesterdays. Apparently similar yes but the thoughts happening NOW are the only thoughts that are happening. Do you see? Yesterdays are not happening any more. Although today's thoughts may be ABOUT similar ideas, including 'I'.

Maybe the 'I' habit has been going for a long time and is a universal assumption that we all keep rubbing in to each other...'you'''me'' 'yours'''mine''..and so on?
And why is that all children learn about the non-existence of Santa Claus while not everyone finds out about the imaginary self?

Good question. I haven't any answer.
And what determines that my experience of tasting something differs from other person’s experience of tasting exactly the same thing ?
That's an assumption. But also, how could one person know how a taste is experienced by another?
Touch- I was in the car holding my steering wheel and when I focused on my experience, it was almost as if there was no distinction between my hands and the wheel. The feeling of warmth, the ridges, dense texture of the wheel was all that there was to my experience. I have experience this in meditations too- no separation between the air and the body, just this tingling vibration.

Taste- As I was sipping plum juice and was totally present and immersed in the experience, there was just an experience of the sweetness and consistency of the juice. I was more present than usual when drinking and there even seemed to be a bigger delay of thought coming in and recognising it as a plum juice. There was ‘no one’ apparent there having an experience, the taste just was.

Ditto with the smell- the fragrant smell grapefruit and bergamot scent of the perfume stick was all that could be experienced when immersed in smelling.
Good. You seem to be a natural at noticing the actual experience of different sensations. It is important to be able to recognise the reality of sensations that are happening and the relative unreality of the content of thoughts (what thoughts are ABOUT) which is not,

A good thing to try is to take a fruit such as a pear or apple. Place it somewhere and go into a different room so that there is no contact with it. Now for a few minutes, imagine that fruit. Imagine its colour, its texture, fragrance and so on. After a few minutes stop this but note what the experience was like. Go and pick up the real fruit. How do the two experience compare?

love

Jon

Aspera

Postby Aspera » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi Jon

Sorry my answers are a bit short today, Tuesday is a bit of a full on day for me.
At the same time I wouldn't say that today's thoughts are 90% 'the same' as yesterdays. Apparently similar yes but the thoughts happening NOW are the only thoughts that are happening. Do you see? Yesterdays are not happening any more. Although today's thoughts may be ABOUT similar ideas, including 'I'.

Maybe the 'I' habit has been going for a long time and is a universal assumption that we all keep rubbing in to each other...'you'''me'' 'yours'''mine''..and so on?
I can see that the thoughts happening now are the only thoughts and yesterday’s thoughts are a memory or a current thought about the thought we had. I am still unable to understand why most of today’s thoughts are about similar ideas. ..
Maybe I is a habit, but this is what society has defined ‘I’ to be- our body, our thought, our emotions, beliefs etc, like other items we have defined so that we can understand each other.

That's an assumption. But also, how could one person know how a taste is experienced by another?
There are a few people that find parsley tastes like soup and don’t eat it while other people like parsley and use it as herb a lot in their cooking. So they must experience the flavor of parsley different to one another.. [/quote]
A good thing to try is to take a fruit such as a pear or apple. Place it somewhere and go into a different room so that there is no contact with it. Now for a few minutes, imagine that fruit. Imagine its colour, its texture, fragrance and so on. After a few minutes stop this but note what the experience was like. Go and pick up the real fruit. How do the two experience compare?
When I picked up the conference pear again, it was a lot browner than I thought it will be. It also had far more dents and it was wilted at the top. Its texture was similar but the fragrance was less sweet than when I thought about it. When I had the actual fruit in my hand it was a lot different to the one I imagine; also I was able to notice much more detail I hadn’t registered before.

Good night & gratitude

Aspera

Return to “ARCHIVES”