WhatNext

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
RJB

WhatNext

Postby RJB » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:56 am

What brings you to Liberation Unleashed? :
Can't now remember where I first came across mention of Liberation Unleashed - it may have been mentioned in a Facebook post that I read. (Many of my Facebook contacts claim liberation: Cheryl Abrams, Vicki Woodyard, Francis Bennet, etc.).
Came across your book 'Liberation Unleashed' as well - bought an e-book version.
Sorry, don't know what else to say here! :)

What are you looking for? What do you expect from this?:
Mention was made in 'Gateless Gatecrashers' of a support group - would like to be in touch with 'like-minded' 'others', discover what is yet to come in the unfolding of WhatIs.
Not sure that 'I' need guidance anymore - you may, perhaps, want to follow this up?!

What is your background in terms of seeking and inquiry?:
Have been "on a spiritual path", as 'they' say, since about 3 years of age (now 69), when 'I' had a, so called, 'spiritual experience': Born Catholic/Christian, then Christian mystics such as John of the Cross, Meister Eckhart and his students, then reading Sufi and some Buddhist writings, then Edgar Cayce, then Kashmir Shaivism through Baba Muktananda, finally came across, so called, radical non-dualists, and others less radical, through Non-duality Press in March of 2013. Then came across 'Sailor' Bob Adamson, and his students Peter & Kalyani Lawry, and meet up with them occasionally. But wasn't quite at the Gate! :)

Followed the recommendation mentioned in 'Start Here' on Liberation Unleashed website and just finished reading "Gateless Gatecrashers" - saw clearly that there is no 'self', and that there has never been a 'self', by the end of the chapter entitled 'Richard'. Saw that it was just an assumption based on what is going on around us when we are young - an assumption that our parents, and others, pass onto us unwittingly, because it is an assumption that they also had.
Also, it's obvious to 'me' now that Jesus was actually teaching non-duality, and that his teachings were rather 'screwed up', over the three hundred years before the church became the official religion of Constantine and his Holy Roman Empire, by church leaders who actually had no idea what he had actually been teaching!

How ready are you to question your beliefs about who you are and see the truth no matter what?:

s-p-a-c-e

Re: WhatNext

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey RJB,

Welcome to Liberation Unleashed.

Apologies for the delay responding. Happens sometimes. :)
...saw clearly that there is no 'self', and that there has never been a 'self'
Could you please share the everyday experience of this, with some examples - that would be great.

With kind thanks,
John, a guide here
"The more he looked inside, the more Piglet wasn't there." - A.A.Milne
https://johnchristophercoaching.wordpress.com/

RJB

Postby RJB » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi John,

No probs re delay - only occasionally looking at the site anyway - see below! :)

Was thinking about "everyday experience" of no 'self' - a couple of thoughts arose: don't seem to be interested in much any more, and, procrastination seems to have fallen away (if something needs to be done it's done as soon as the thought arises now, rather than putting it off). There's also a realisation that there's no sense of worrying about things any more - what is is, and will be attended to if/when attention is required.

That's all for the moment.

Kind Regards,
RJB. :)

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:41 am

Hi RJB,

Do you want to continue?

Thanks,
John

RJB

Postby RJB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:00 am

Hi John,

Not quite sure what you mean?!

Thanks,
Richard.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 am

Hi John,

Not quite sure what you mean?!

Thanks,
Richard.
You don't seem that bothered. :)

RJB

Postby RJB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi John,

Yes. Sort of gone into a 'wait and see' space - just seem to have to allow whatever unfolds to unfold, as it where!

Is this how it was for you, or not?

Cheers,
R.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi Richard,
Was thinking about "everyday experience" of no 'self' - a couple of thoughts arose: don't seem to be interested in much any more, and, procrastination seems to have fallen away (if something needs to be done it's done as soon as the thought arises now, rather than putting it off). There's also a realisation that there's no sense of worrying about things any more - what is is, and will be attended to if/when attention is required.
Thanks for the response.

How would you describe what was seen as best you can?

Many thanks,
John

RJB

Postby RJB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 am

Hi John,

The 'seeing' was a clarity that the personal self doesn't exist, and never has - 'I' was making notes on what 'I' had been reading in "Gateless Gatecrashers", and was pondering that there was still some doubt about the existence of the personal self, even though there was a strong sense that the 'me' doesn't exist, when suddenly there was no doubt anymore, and just the clarity that there was no personal self, and never had been! It was suddenly just amazingly obvious that this was the case, and always had been the case!

In terms of the quote in your post, any needed action just arises of it's own accord, and thus 'things' get done as needed.

Sorry, a bit of repetition happening. :)

Many Thanks,
R.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:15 am

Hi Richard,
The 'seeing' was a clarity that the personal self doesn't exist, and never has - 'I' was making notes on what 'I' had been reading in "Gateless Gatecrashers", and was pondering that there was still some doubt about the existence of the personal self, even though there was a strong sense that the 'me' doesn't exist, when suddenly there was no doubt anymore, and just the clarity that there was no personal self, and never had been! It was suddenly just amazingly obvious that this was the case, and always had been the case!
And what happened next? :)

/john

RJB

Postby RJB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:55 am

Hi John,
There was surprise at the obviousness of it, some laughter, and a sense of release & relaxation.
Nothing else that can be recalled at the moment.
Cheers,
R.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:58 pm

H Richard,

Thank you for that.

And what do you make now of the some of the teachings you mentioned, in the light of this?

With best wishes,
John

RJB

Postby RJB » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 am

Hi John,

Having effectively come across the non-dual teachings in my late-20's/early-30's (Kashmir Shaivism, via Baba Muktananda), and only really seeing what they are getting at in the last month or so, I think that some of the teachings may not be as helpful as their proponents like to think they are!

The direct approach of actually looking to see what is real and what is not seems to be much more productive in terms of allowing the seeing. However, having said that, seeing comes when it comes, and that's OK. So it seems to me that the, so called, radical non-dualists have an overall better approach, but it also seems that the training to be a better person that the more traditional approaches tend to take prepare their followers to live in more compassionate and caring ways after their seeing.

I guess that LIFE will continue to go the way that it goes for each of it's manifestations!

Cheers,
R.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Richard,
Hi John,

Having effectively come across the non-dual teachings in my late-20's/early-30's (Kashmir Shaivism, via Baba Muktananda), and only really seeing what they are getting at in the last month or so, I think that some of the teachings may not be as helpful as their proponents like to think they are!

The direct approach of actually looking to see what is real and what is not seems to be much more productive in terms of allowing the seeing. However, having said that, seeing comes when it comes, and that's OK. So it seems to me that the, so called, radical non-dualists have an overall better approach, but it also seems that the training to be a better person that the more traditional approaches tend to take prepare their followers to live in more compassionate and caring ways after their seeing.

I guess that LIFE will continue to go the way that it goes for each of it's manifestations!
Ok, thank you.

So what shows up in response to: is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form? Was there ever?

And then, could you have a shot at explaining in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience. Describe it fully as you see it now.

Many thanks!
John

RJB

Postby RJB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:13 am

Hi John,

When it was seen clearly that there is no 'personal self', 'I', 'me', or whatever other names 'it' has been given, it was also obvious that 'it' had never existed. So there is not now, and never has been, a separate 'self' in any way shape or form.

As to what the illusory separate 'self' is - 'I' would say that it is the thoughts/feelings/sensations etc. that arise within the body/mind to which is assigned a sense of being. This is essentially an assumption that our parents, and others who surround us in early life, have about themselves, and which they inadvertently pass on to us, so that we then take up the position that the thoughts/feelings/sensations etc., and the body/mind in which they arise, are us.
There is a sense that it was originally some sort of survival mechanism for the body/mind, something like the instincts that we assign to other animals, which somehow got stretched beyond its original purpose, and consequently made itself out to be more than it actually is, and eventually gave rise to the illusory 'self' in each body/mind - a 'self' that thinks that it needs to decide on what it can and can't do in this world, and then take appropriate action. All of which actually just happen of their own accord - thoughts arise, sensations arise, doing arises, etc. There is no need for any 'self' to be 'in control'.

Can't think of anything else at this point.

Many thanks,
Richard.

Return to “ARCHIVES”