It seems I'm still seeking something

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Kalohan

It seems I'm still seeking something

Postby Kalohan » Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 pm

What brings you to Liberation Unleashed?:
This feeling that there's something still to be gained, attained, realized. I feel like I understand the falsity of the separate self through and through, yet I still feel it. I can see how how stupid it is, how abstract, how illusory, how it's balancing upon a false basis, yet there it is, casting a shadow over experience. It still distracts me from reality. It still retains the ability to suck me in and cause me to forget what I really am and what is true.

What are you looking for? What do you expect from this?:
I want something to push me over the edge into complete honesty. Someone to inspire the final relinquishment of my false associations. A finger pointing clearly in a way that books can't. A guide unmotivated by status and success. I want to feel the present vibe of someone who's actually awake, someone who's completed the process that I feel I'm going through.

What is your background in terms of seeking and inquiry?:
I watched my father get killed in a farm accident when I was 15 (now 27). That event snapped me out of auto-pilot mode and I started asking big questions about life and existence. I went on to get a philosophy degree in college and became a passionate atheist. Throughout my college career I became increasingly interested in yoga, and at some point in my senior year I came to realize that the academic world was full of shit and decided that the path towards truth and liberation lies in spiritual study and practice. As these realizations took form my girlfriend and I broke up and immediately thereafter she and my best friend started dating and moved in together. It was like another death. Disillusioned with life and yearning for more, I scrapped together some money and went to live in a hut in the the Honduran jungle for one year.

In Honduras I dedicated myself primarily to meditating, practicing yoga, and reading spiritual texts. As my time there ended I still had no desire to start a career, and began realizing that I had no desire to belong to any community whatsoever or participate in any societal games. I wanted freedom and adventure. So, I moved back home to my family's dairy farm and milked cows for a year in order to save up money to start living on my bicycle and traveling across the Americas. During this time I discovered A Course in Miracles and it totally rocked my world. I spent most of my free time that year studying The Course, and each day's milking shift became the perfect life lesson. I wasn't meditating regularly and I wasn't practicing yoga, but I realized that I was learning more than I had ever before, despite the fact that I was spending 13 hours a day performing manual labor covered in milk and cow manure. I was starting to realize that no discipline, no practice, and no organization offered the way to truth, but that all the world was my teacher and my own desires showed me the way down my unique path.

I left on my bicycle adventure, made it from Wisconsin to California, and moved in with some new friends who called themselves shaman, and I spent a few months doing lots of magic mushrooms and ayahuasca. Having had many beautiful experiences, yet feeling disillusioned and desiring more, I left and made my way down into Mexico. I've spent the last year and a half traveling by myself on my bike, living simply out of my tent. I still meditate because I enjoy it, but otherwise have abandoned all things I would regard as spiritual practices. I've gotten more into artistic interests, traveling with my guitar and flute and dancing and writing, but now it's these pursuits that the ego tries to hijack and I'm fooled once again into the game of feeling I must "get better" at them...use them as "practices" for "attaining results". I feel this trying mechanism less and less as I grow, but it's still there, that's for sure.

I like to read. I got really into Krishnamurti, Osho, and Alan Watts in the last couple of years. I've spent 100s of hours, I'm sure, listening to Alan Watts lectures. But now it's all starting to wear off, and most of the time when I pick up a book on spirituality or nonduality or put on a lecture, I can't help but ask myself, Why? Why am I doing this? What am I trying to get? What is the state of development that I feel I lack? Where is this emanating from? They're just words. Am I using these "teachings" to distract myself from what is, just like everyone else is doing with their cell phones? I'm realizing that all teachings are false, and that the only real purpose of any teaching is to show you that it was unnecessary in the first place. Just live life - there's no way you can prepare for it. Just be - there's nothing to learn about what you are. (It's easy to write these words, yet here I am on this website, presumably in order to become something)

Anyways, I've recently returned home to Wisconsin to work for awhile as I save money for the next leg of my bike journey. I recently discovered Jed Mckenna and devoured his books, feeling like I had really found someone who's legit, some who's gone through a process that I feel I'm going through and am destined to complete. In one of his books he references an author named Burnadette Roberts. In an effort to decide whether to buy one of her books I typed her name into Youtube, and a few clicks later here I am at liberationunleashed, witnessing in amazement the multiple beings interviewed in your videos whom appear to be legitimately awake.

How ready are you to question your beliefs about who you are and see the truth no matter what? On a scale from one to ten (ten being most ready). : 9

Alexw

Re: It seems I'm still seeking something

Postby Alexw » Wed May 18, 2016 5:29 am

Hi Kalohan,

Thank you for your inspiring and honest introduction. I very much enjoyed reading your words.
My name is Alex and I am happy to discuss this with you.

I think this statement of yours beautifully sums up where you seem to be stuck:
This feeling that there's something still to be gained, attained, realized. I feel like I understand the falsity of the separate self through and through, yet I still feel it. I can see how how stupid it is, how abstract, how illusory, how it's balancing upon a false basis, yet there it is, casting a shadow over experience. It still distracts me from reality. It still retains the ability to suck me in and cause me to forget what I really am and what is true.
You talk about a feeling - I guess a certain feeling of lack... Can you please describe this feeling in some detail?
Is it really a feeling - aka physical sensation - or is it maybe a combination of thought and some physical sensations that combine into this "feeling"? Please try to describe the two parts of this feeling, the thought-part and the physical-sensation. Would the feeling still be a feeling of lack if thought wouldn't label it as such?

Can you please also let me know how you would describe this separate self, this false self. What is it? Where do you find it? Where does it come from? Was it always there? Did it evolve over time?

In which way is it "casting a shadow over experience"? Can it really do that or is this only a thought based conclusion?
Maybe its also a good idea to define what exactly we refer to when we talk about (direct) experience.
Lets try this:
Please go and get a small piece of food. Maybe a nut or a raisin or whatever is at hand. Put it on the table in front of you. Look at it. Now imagine how it will taste. Imagine the flavours and the texture that will be felt in your mouth when eating it. Do this for a minute or two.
Now, please take the fruit and eat it. Chew it slowly and taste the flavours - feel the texture of the food particles. Taste the sweetness or whatever flavours might be present. Eat it slowly and in full awareness of this direct experience.
What was the difference between the direct experience of eating the food vs only thinking about it? Do these different experiences even relate to each other at all? Or is one just the direct experience of thought whereas the other is the direct experience of taste. Can thought really describe taste in an accurate way or will thought about taste never be able to really grasp the experience of taste?
Maybe thought describing taste is just as futile as taste trying to describe thought... we only believe that one is possible and the other one is obviously impossible...

You say that this feeling of lack is causing you to forget "what I really am and what is true"... Can you please let me know what you believe yourself to be? What is it that is true? Why would a feeling be able to make you forget something? Maybe this feeling arises, just as any other sensation or thought, in/as awareness. And there is only the idea that this feeling would be special, that it has the power to make you forget...

When you look at how thought works... who would it be that forgets? Can you find this thinker/controller of thought? Or is all that you can find thought and more thought... no one deciding what thought to think next...

Alex

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 am

This feeling of lack, of dread. It's a feeling that something needs to be done. It feels like the sand in the hourglass is wasting away, the boat is taking on water, and I need to fix this thing/figure it out before it's too late. It feels like things that matter are being left unattended to. It feels like there's a better future lying in potential and it's up to me in the present moment to manifest it. Sacrifice the present moment to work in order to achieve future gains. I saw through the illusion of that ethos long ago in the department of wealth, power, and prestige, but then it camouflaged and barricaded itself behind my spiritual endeavors and I still haven't managed to eradicate it.

I would identify this feeling primarily as an emotion, but at the same time I can see that it rests upon a mental basis. Then again, that seems to be a decent definition of emotion in general...subtle physical sensation structured/programed by thought. In terms of what I'll call gross physical description of this feeling the first thing that comes to mind is tension, contraction. It feels like there's energy trying to move through my body but it's blocked. Some sort of tension is holding it in but I don't know how to release it.

You ask if it would remain a feeling of lack if thought wouldn't label it such. No it would not. Lack is a concept that depends upon beliefs about being an isolated self within an alien world of scarcity. Without the mental noise It would be a perfect feeling. Like when I'm biking up a big hill on my heavy ass touring bike and I'm seriously exhausted and in pain, I've learned to distance myself from the voice that says "this sucks". I know that this is what I've chosen, and that without the difficult exertion of the climb I wouldn't be able to enjoy the elated, relaxed pleasure of the descent. I accept it gladly as a whole package, and I know the voice that chimes in to complain about the situation isn't me. I guess this is no different than the feeling of lack which motivates my seeking...it's a displeasurable sensation which I try to run away from rather than seeing and accepting it fully.

Regarding your question as to how I would describe the separate/false self, it's an incessant commentary on what's wrong with what is. It's a web of beliefs about what should be the case, and these beliefs are carried out through my organism through tension and contraction. The tension and contraction cause me to avoid looking at certain experiences deemed fearful and instead my organism is steered towards other sensations deemed more acceptable. To sum it up, it seems to be a web of preferences carried out through contraction of the organism. All this is concealed by the word "I". I find it in thoughts, and particularly, in the synchronization of certain thoughts with certain behavior. It seems to come from cultural conditioning, a conventionally programmed complex of preferences, of reactions to particular configurations of lines drawn across experience. I don't think it was always there. I don't have many early childhood memories, but the ones I do have all seem to involve a self. When I look at very young children they don't seem to have it. And yes, my sense of self has certainly evolved over time.

"In which way is it 'Casting a shadow over experience'?" ...I guess it doesn't. They're just two different experiences, or shall I say, two different attributes or interpretations of experience (mental and sensory/emotional/sexual/whatever) I started realizing a few months ago that through my "spiritual" studies and practices I've developed an unconscious antagonism to thought. I've come to assume that thought is bad, that movement in the mind necessarily ought to be stilled if I want true experience, and that this is a state I ought to work towards. But of course, it's only more thoughts which are thinking that thought is bad. I've finally started to appreciate the beauty of thought again, and when I feel a flurry of mental energy I now like to write or go for a walk and talk out loud rather than sitting down to meditate and telling my mind to "sit down and shut up!" like I used to.

Anyways, I think I see what you're saying, that it's the mind's interpretation that false self "casts a shadow over experience". In truth, there's nothing at all wrong with the presence of those thoughts. It's further compounding false self upon false self by reacting to this preference for no thought. One aspect of experience cannot cast a shadow over another aspect of experience. There are no separate aspects of experience. It's just experience, lol.

I'm the one who chooses to be distracted by the thoughts of false self, I'm the one who still values the illusions it operates through. When I say that it casts a shadow over experience I'm interpreting myself as a victim, that these thoughts just come and they're bad and there's nothing I can do about it. But I know that's not true. The thoughts of false self come around because I pour energy into them with awareness. I still find them interesting. The drama still sucks me in because I still falsely identify with those arbitrary, changing structures. This ties nicely into your next question, as to what I believe myself to be and what is it that is true. I am consciousness/awareness. I am not the ego, I am that which sees the ego. I am not the body, I am that which is aware of the body. I am not my thoughts, emotions, or sensations, I am that which witnesses these things.

It seems to me like I see this clearly, but if I see it so clearly, then how can I keep getting fooled? If I really saw what is true and understood fully the non-reality of false self, how could I keep getting caught up in its antics? How could I keep choosing to channel my energy/focus awareness onto those fabricated structures if I really saw them for what they are? I guess that's why I'm here, because I feel like I do see what's true and what's not, but I'm constantly moving in and out of it. My non-dual awareness is not abiding.

Why would a feeling be able to make you forget something? That's a good question. I guess the answer is that nothing makes me forget. I choose to forget because I still find certain illusions to be so entertaining or fearful or lovely that I'd rather just put the virtual reality mask on and forget about what is for a bit. I like the way you put it, that this feeling of lack arises just as any other sensation: in/as awareness. I'm holding out on this feeling being special...a problem which must be fixed and transcended in order to see the truth. But no experience could possibly not be true.

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 am

Thank you Alex. This feels right. My name is Nico, by the way.

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 am

Hi Nico,
It seems to me like I see this clearly, but if I see it so clearly, then how can I keep getting fooled? If I really saw what is true and understood fully the non-reality of false self, how could I keep getting caught up in its antics?
Look at who is asking this question... Don't try to find an answer - all answers are in thought only. You might receive a thought based answer, but then doubt will creep in and new questions will arise - this is how thought works. This is how "the ego" (which is only an idea existing in thought) works. Thought will never stop asking - it will never stop demanding an answer. The only way out is to see that there is no one that requires an answer. That all answers only apply in the realm of duality. But.. is awareness bound by duality? Is there anything besides it? Or are there only ideas and beliefs that define separation?
So... there seems to be a problem... thought states "I keep getting fooled!" - but is this statement more than just a thought stating something that is purely based on some ideas and beliefs of how things should be? Is there really a problem? Or are there just thoughts about a problem?

Also, the above does not mean that with realising that there is no one that requires an answer, no more questions will show up ever again... Questions might still show up, but the interest in solving these riddles will abate and over time the questioner will die of neglect... Its like refusing to give a plant the water that is required to grow - no water no growth no plant...
I guess that's why I'm here, because I feel like I do see what's true and what's not, but I'm constantly moving in and out of it. My non-dual awareness is not abiding.
Can awareness ever be dualistic or is it by default non-dual? Maybe its only thought that adds a layer of duality? Which is not a bad thing, it is a great tool and it has great advantages... but also some negative sides if it takes over the whole stage...

What is it that is moving in and out? And of what? Can you move in and out of awareness? Who would be able to do such a thing? Aren't all thoughts - no matter if "deluded" or not - simply arising in/as awareness?
Isn't it only thought that states "I am moving in and out of awareness."? Maybe this is just a story that is being believed, but is this really true? Is it backed up by direct experience?

Sit down and relax... see how everything simply arises... seeing, hearing, feeling, thinking... Is there any duality in any of the senses? When you hear a sound... how is that experienced? Thought might state "I hear a bird!". Is this really true? What is the direct experience of "I hear a bird!"? Is there a separate I, a hearer of sound? Is there a border between the sound and a "self" that is hearing it? Is this I doing something called hearing? If there is nothing to be found except this "process" that we call "sound"... where is this duality that thought is talking about? Maybe all and everything that is being experienced is non-dual awareness/presence/This/whatever-we-call-it in constant flow...

I do understand your desire to be permanently in a state of "non-dual awareness"... but what if you cant really escape this state anyway - what if it is what "you" are - and all ideas about duality are just thoughts stating this or that about the "underlaying reality" that in fact can not be grasped or defined? Isn't even the phrase "non-dual awareness" itself pretty much the same as saying "wet water"...? The nature of water is wetness and the nature of awareness is non-duality...

Alex

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Thu May 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Yes, it’s only thoughts that are moving in and out of awareness. And by identifying myself with a particular structure of thought, rather than everything within awareness, this “problem” arises. I cannot truly move in and out of awareness…I’m always aware. But since I have come to identify myself with particular configurations of experience within awareness, this is forgotten.

Thought states “I am moving in and out of awareness”, but since I am everything within the field of awareness, this is impossible. Awareness is my nature. I buy into the illusion that I am moving in and out of awareness because I identify myself with a particular, fleeting shape perceived within it. And by paying attention to that shape, that structure, by feeding it energy by making it the focal point of experience, its life is prolonged and its voice becomes stronger.

Nothing can be known except by way of direct experience, and “I am moving in and out of awareness” has no experience. I assume it has a meaning. I assume that these words refer to something that is real, but this is an illusion. These thoughts are just a particular subtle variety of sensation. And rather than experiencing them as sensation, in the same way I feel my heart beating or feel the wind caress my face, I make the mistake of taking them to refer to something other than themselves, to represent a separate reality apart from experience.

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Fri May 20, 2016 2:38 am

Yes, well said :-)

This identification is something that has been built over years/decades and thus it normally wont just vanish in a flash even the the hollowness behind it has been clearly seen. It might take some time and some repeated looking, but once the cup has a crack it will start leaking water and eventually all the water will be gone... The belief-system will shift and attention will fall back to its natural state of presence/awareness. But there really is nothing that "you" (the thought based self) can do except of being aware and simply seeing that identification is happening - when it happens see it and acknowledge it, but don't reject it as this will just keep it going. Trust in the process - it will disintegrate all on its own.

Also, don't try to find shelter in identifying with "awareness" - identification can always only be with something objective - even if it is something so subtle as awareness, it is still an object that you are creating if you say "I am awareness.". Can you be content in not knowing?

How do you feel at the moment? What kind of thoughts come up? Any doubts arising? Questions you would like to discuss?

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes I have a question. I've given much attention during my seeking and felt much confusion as to whether awakening is a continuum or a binary shift. Whether "enlightenment" occurs as a gradual process, a gradual transition out of identification, or as a sudden event, an immediate and complete realization that is like the flipping off of a switch. I see the falsity of the self, but as we have been discussing, I frequently slip into identification with it. As I have come to understand this over the past couple of years the slipping has become less frequent, but at no point in my journey have I experienced anything I would call a sudden awakening. I've had many epiphanies, but nothing that left me in radically different reality from there on out.

I had sort of given up on this concept of a binary shift into enlightenment until recently. And when I saw the interviews on Youtube of some of the guides here on Liberation Unleashed, which I mentioned in my introduction struck me as quite authentic, I was interested to see that a few of them referred to an "event" that occurred in which awakening suddenly arrived. And even in our correspondence you've said things like, over time the questioner will "die of neglect", and that once the water is gone the "belief system will shift".

So can you tell me from experience that the process of awakening is not completely gradual, that it reaches a distinct point where the false self dies of neglect?

I can see that this is only the false self that wants to know...that it's worried that I haven't experienced it and that I'm not going to. I understand that focusing on and wondering about other peoples' experience is coming from the false self's need to compare, and that the real work of awakening lies in direct perception of this experience, "my" experience, not from pondering anyone else's. Nevertheless, this question has been a huge theme in my mind throughout my journey and perhaps a clear answer will help to dissolve it.

And yes, I think it's wise advice recommending that I not take shelter in identifying with the word "awareness". I have a history of being a very intellectual, philosophical person, and realizing that freedom does not lie in any answer in the form of words has been difficult. And I read a lot, so my mind is full of spiritual vocabulary words and phrases which I now recognize as being quite empty and see that they simply need to be dropped. Yes, I can be content in not knowing! Or perhaps I should say, I can be content accepting that true knowing is direct experience. I can be content in dropping the assumption that knowing lies in any particular linguistic formulation of reality.

-Nico

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Sat May 21, 2016 4:52 am

Hi Nico,
I've given much attention during my seeking and felt much confusion as to whether awakening is a continuum or a binary shift. Whether "enlightenment" occurs as a gradual process, a gradual transition out of identification, or as a sudden event, an immediate and complete realization that is like the flipping off of a switch. I see the falsity of the self, but as we have been discussing, I frequently slip into identification with it.
When you said: "I can see that this is only the false self that wants to know"... you are perfectly right. It is only thought that believes that there still is something to get that is not here right now. The only shift, the only realisation that is required is to see that nothing is missing at all. Questions like the one above only make sense if you believe that there is someone that could be enlightened or awakened...

Yes, sure, if you define "awakening" as a change in the structures of conceptual thought, where the belief in a separate self is simply seen as a story - a bit like the story of Santa Clause - and where the realisation happens that you are not this separate self, but the unbound, presence-awareness/knowingness that this (and every) moment is, then there seems to be something like liberation or enlightenment. But there is still the issue that these thoughts, these beliefs that are shifting/adapting are not really "your" thoughts anyway, are they? Do you think these are "your" thoughts, your beliefs? Or are they just thoughts, just beliefs, with the separate self only being one of these beliefs..? Are these thoughts any more yours than the sounds that you are hearing, or the smells that you are smelling?

So... What would it be that was asleep and that will awaken? Can this knowing-presence be asleep? Can it awaken? Or is it always perfectly clear and simply right here / right now?

All the stories of people that have experienced "enlightenment" are just conceptualised experiences that might have provoked a certain shift in conceptual thought, but there is no shift in this presence that you are. Once you really see that perfectly clear than you will also see no reason to ask this question anymore... It will look like a joke to you... How could I have ever thought that "I" will get enlightened if all there is, no matter what kind of thought shows up, is pure enlightenment anyway... So no matter if a "shift" (in thought) is gradual or sudden, there really is nothing to worry about. Its only the beliefs that change, not the presence-awareness that is always clear and bright... Does this moment care what kind of thought shows up? Does it matter if there is a thought of identification happening?
The funny thing is that once this realisation is established, thoughts of identification will still show up, even thoughts of doubt, but as they are now seen more like a funny story they hold not much power anymore... this will ultimately lead to less and less of these kinds of thoughts... without anyone doing anything at all :-)
Life will do what is natural, when "you" let it...

Alex

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Wow, I feel so clear! I keep reading your post over and over again in joy, just laughing.

When I initially read your words, "Once you really see that perfectly clear than you will also see no reason to ask this question anymore... It will look like a joke to you...", I thought, "Damn, won't that be nice when this whole enlightenment business feels like a joke." But then I started laughing, realizing that it already does look like a joke! I don't feel that guilt right now that I've been talking about over "getting fooled", that feeling of "shit, how could I have bought into that!", that perception of sin for past errors. I'm just looking at the whole process in awe and amazement at how magnificent it is, how beautiful it is that existence can fool itself into thinking it's something other than what it is, and now the relief of remembering it's not true, that none of it can touch me.

You have succeeded in getting me un-stuck! Perhaps I'll return later on with renewed confusion...who knows, but right now I have no further questions. I feel crystal clear and light as a feather. I never would have thought that the next step in my journey would take the form of finding some awakened dude on the internet! I always thought I'd find a guy like you camping in the middle of the desert or at the entrance of some dark cave, lol.

I guess thanking only applies in within duality, from one false self to another. And I imagine you're here helping others because it's what you enjoy doing...that you just like it, and don't have much ego left to feed off of thank-yous...So what can I say? I'm just brimming over right now with gratitude and joy...and I need to go milk cows now. Peace out my brother.

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Sun May 22, 2016 2:08 am

Hi Nico,

How nice to read your reply! Your happiness is addictive - I am grinning too :-)

Yes, I guess the Internet has its benefits... I rather sit at home than in a cave... and yes, I do enjoy the process as it is happening... and its still very beautiful to see the happiness that arises when seeing happens.

Sure, thoughts of doubt, or more questions, will arise again, but just look at them in an open and honest way and see that they cannot harm you. So enjoy the ride :-)

Anyway... would you like to join the LU Facebook groups?
There are many great people there that you can discuss whatever comes up.

Alex

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Sun May 22, 2016 11:28 pm

Please send me a private message via this forum with your FB name if you would like me to add you to the LU groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalohan

Postby Kalohan » Mon May 23, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks for the invite, but I do not have Facebook.

Alexw

Postby Alexw » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 am

OK, no worries.
Alex

Return to “ARCHIVES”