could i have help please

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
mike-b

could i have help please

Postby mike-b » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:54 am

Hi, my name is Mike, i am 61 years old and live in the midlands, UK. I have been searching for many years and feel i have been close to discovery in the past, although i am not sure what i was close to discovering. I like sitting meditation, usually in the Zen tradition, although for two years i have been following the teachings of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.

I do feel i am progressing towards an understanding of no self, but i desperately need to feel Rigpa, even if only momentarily,
Thank you

s-p-a-c-e

Re: could i have help please

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Nice to meet you. Thank you for the introduction.

Where would Mike be located in you?

Kind thanks,
John
"The more he looked inside, the more Piglet wasn't there." - A.A.Milne
https://johnchristophercoaching.wordpress.com/

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi John,

Thank you for answering my post and offering to help me, it seems to have been a very long journey so far.
I'm sorry for taking so long to answer but i work night shift and didn't get the email till after midnight, so thought it better to wait till today.

As to your question, i would like to say that Mike isn't within me, but unfortunately, although i think i understand the concept of non dualism, i do feel that Mike is alive and well and still a very big part of me.

I hope that doesn't sound silly,

Thank you again,

Mike

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Mike,
Hi John,

Thank you for answering my post and offering to help me, it seems to have been a very long journey so far.
I'm sorry for taking so long to answer but i work night shift and didn't get the email till after midnight, so thought it better to wait till today.

As to your question, i would like to say that Mike isn't within me, but unfortunately, although i think i understand the concept of non dualism, i do feel that Mike is alive and well and still a very big part of me.

I hope that doesn't sound silly,

Thank you again,

Mike
Thanks for your reply. Don't worry about replying quick, I'd rather you take the time for this to really hit home.

If you were to point with a finger at where Mike HQ would be - where would you point?

Thank you,
John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Thank you John,

I think it better that i answer this one quick as i believe the more i think about it the more i will change my answer.

My mind, Mike certainly isn't in my heart, and although he appears in my consciousness i feel he is very much a product of my mind

Thank you

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Mike,
Thank you John,

I think it better that i answer this one quick as i believe the more i think about it the more i will change my answer.

My mind, Mike certainly isn't in my heart, and although he appears in my consciousness i feel he is very much a product of my mind

Thank you
And where would you instinctively point to, if you were to point to the mind?

/John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:44 pm

I think we are all conditioned to believe the mind resides within the brain, so i would instinctively point to my head

thank you

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Mike,
I think we are all conditioned to believe the mind resides within the brain, so i would instinctively point to my head

thank you
Yes, when we approach it this way, we go straight to ideas, assumptions, notions e.g. 'I am a product of mind. Mind is in the head.' So far, so conventional and assumed.

So, lets take a different tack.

You are going to ask this entity called Mike, the one apparently inside, pulling the strings, running the show to write you a short letter.

Lay out a sheet of paper and a pen and simply request, "Mike, if you are there, inside me, a distinct entity that thinks and chooses and acts - then write me a short note expressing what and where you are. Thank you.'

Share any discoveries.

Thank you,
John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi John,

I think you may have your work cut out with me, this seemed such an easy question to answer but i have been struggling with it.

I know that my sheet of paper would be blank because there is no entity within me called Mike, and i understand that my ego is a product of conditioning and personal circumstances, (so far so good), but this makes me ponder the question, 'Then who am I' Who is making the decisions, and who is writing this message.

I'm sorry John, i thought i had a better understanding than this but no one has asked me these questions before, i have always practised in isolation and have never had personal contact with other people on a similar path.

Thank you,

Mike

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi Mike,
I think you may have your work cut out with me, this seemed such an easy question to answer but i have been struggling with it.
Oh no worries Mike, we're all in it together. :) It is not an easy question to answer at all - like everything we do at LU, they are ways to open up new spaces, challenge assumptions, perceptions. All is good Mike.
I know that my sheet of paper would be blank because there is no entity within me called Mike, and i understand that my ego is a product of conditioning and personal circumstances, (so far so good), but this makes me ponder the question, 'Then who am I' Who is making the decisions, and who is writing this message.
It's a very good question. Probably THE question that keeps most seekers stuck in a mud of their own making.

Let's explore it. You mention "Who am I". There's quite a lot in that. But ask yourself, "Is there a distinction between a 'who' and an 'I'?"

What kind of thing is a who? What could a who be? Just share what comes up - there are no mistakes here. We're walking along together.
I'm sorry John, i thought i had a better understanding than this but no one has asked me these questions before, i have always practised in isolation and have never had personal contact with other people on a similar path.
At some point, we all have to drop understanding, or it drops away - so that's fine.

Explore the above, and share discoveries.

Best wishes!
John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi John,

If i had to make a distinction between a 'Who' an 'I' i would say that the Who is the being that i am, bones, tissue and a spark of conciousness.

The 'I' would be the identity that my ego has created, but for what reason i am unsure.

Hope that makes sense,

Mike

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Mike,
If i had to make a distinction between a 'Who' an 'I' i would say that the Who is the being that i am, bones, tissue and a spark of conciousness.

The 'I' would be the identity that my ego has created, but for what reason i am unsure.
Ok, it really doesn't matter how we use these terms, as long as we know to what they point.

So 'who' (as you wrote) is essentially, a unique human being. Whatever that is. :)
And 'I' is the ego/self/persona.

Ok, cool. Now, what we're looking at is being open to the possibility that you are not Mike.

That, who you are, is akin to a river, a flame, not a fiction, a story.

How does that sound?

/John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi John,

Yes, that sounds fine, i think i understand that without my conceptual thinking and pre conceived ideas i would still be me (without Mike) and would still function.
You reffered to the river or flame, i can see that whatever or who ever i am, i am an ever changing, ever renewing being, and even at a cellular level everything dies and is renewed.
Does that sound ok,

Mike

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi Mike,
Hi John,

Yes, that sounds fine, i think i understand that without my conceptual thinking and pre conceived ideas i would still be me (without Mike) and would still function.
Yes. You are always you. :) Just not Mike, the idea of Mike, a person living within, running the show. That is not the case.
You reffered to the river or flame, i can see that whatever or who ever i am, i am an ever changing, ever renewing being, and even at a cellular level everything dies and is renewed.
Does that sound ok,
Let's focus on the experience of being - is there anything static?
- take a good look.
- feel deeply into the implications of that.

Best wishes,
John

mike-b

Postby mike-b » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi John,

Sorry if my posts were a little small, i was away with my wife for the weekend and could only occasionally get a signal on my phone.
I have given plenty of thought to your question,

I don't think there is anything static about my being, i practice mindfullness as much as possible, and try as much as i can to be aware throughout the day. I have reached a certain level of calm, and am beginning to feel Mike slipping away at times and sense life flowing through me, however, this is always very brief and before i know it, Mike is back in control.
At times it is as if there has been a slight shift in the way i perceive things visually, my field of view seems different but i cannot maintain this for long periods.
I look forward to your reply

Mike

Return to “ARCHIVES”