SatChitAnanda

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
myporties2

SatChitAnanda

Postby myporties2 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:39 pm

I have been on the spiritual path since 1975 and have followed many teachers and teachings. My main teacher for the past 15 years is Eckhart Tolle. I recently discovered the writings of Bernadette Roberts. When I searched Bernadette Roberts on YouTube, I came across Liberation Unleashed. I have a very deep sense of no self and would like to be guided into the realization that never goes away.

Anna77

Re: SatChitAnanda

Postby Anna77 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi Sitchatananda,

I'm Neroli and I'd be happy to be your guide :) There are a few things that we need to go over to begin the guiding process but rather than inundate you with a a flood of words straight up, I'll just say hello to get connected and we'll go from there.

Thanks for sharing the information about what brings you here. If you're happy to go on to the next step, let me know and we'll begin.

Cheers,
Neroli

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Thank you, Neroli. Nice to meet you.

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm ready to go on to the next step.

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi again :) I was calling you the name of the thread before...sitchatananda...then i realized your avatar name is myporties2...how would you like to be named as we go through this chat?

Just to let you know, I will sometimes only be on here once a day, depending on my work load. If time permits, I'll jump back on here a few times a day. But I definitely will check and respond to your messages once a day.

This experience as easy or hard as you make it, it's actually pretty fun and super easy if you just look at direct experience..."thinking" too much won't make it easy but you're welcome to play the game of looking however you like :)

Before we begin, here are the few house-keeping rules that need to be gone through...

You and I simply have a chat, the aim of which will be for you to make the 'realisation' and shift in perspective that there is no 'self'. That will be our focus. I will ask various questions and set you some exercises, but nobody will be judging you. You can't get this wrong which is awesome!

This process is a guided inquiry where specific areas of experience can be examined. I am not your teacher. This is YOUR inquiry. I will not be giving you new ideas and beliefs; only assisting you in examining and questioning the ones that you already have.

• You agree to post at least once a day, even if only to say, "still here!" Sometimes it might just not be possible for one of us to post substantively and of course we'd find a way to work round that.
• I am not your teacher, all I can do is point, you look, until clear seeing happens.
• In general, I will ask questions, you look deeply and honestly, and respond.
• Responses require simple, uncontrived honest looking. There are no wrong answers.
• Responses are best from Direct Experience (D.E.); the felt senses such as seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching/feeling and observed thoughts - as opposed to memory-thoughts, beliefs, ideas. (Read the article at http://liberationunleashed.com/articles ... xperience/ for more help on distinguishing what is direct experience.)
• Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers, and streams of consciousness answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress.
• Put aside all other teachings, philosophies and such for the remainder of this investigation.
• Really put all your effort and attention into seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily and essential meditation practice, it is fine to continue that.
• Please learn to use the quote function to help clarify things...I will when bringing forward points from the thread to look at more closely.

When you want to quote some text, simply select it, and in the editor press button "quote". You will see tags appear in the editor box; with the text in between the brackets. You can press preview to see how your post looks before submitting it.

• If you haven't already seen it, there is intro info at http://www.liberationunleashed.com/, together with our disclaimer and a short video.

Please confirm you have seen, and agree to the above, and are happy to begin the process with me as your guide - then we shall begin.

Finally, here's a couple of helpful points:
1) You can press 'subscribe to this topic' in the blue bar at the bottom of this page and receive a notification email every time I post a reply, here.

2) The site has a habit of logging you out while you write a reply, which can mean you lose what you have written. One way to avoid this is to write elsewhere (word document), then just paste the message into the 'reply' window when you're ready to send.

And that will be the last long post between us!

Let's start with a summary of what you're looking for and what you expect to find. I know you've already answered some of these. Please forgive any overlap, it is to help you begin to really LOOK, SEE, and UNDERSTAND.

So tell me, what's your gut response when you read this:

There is no self whatsoever, in any shape or form. There never has been, and there never will be.

And please answer theses questions from DIRECT EXPERIENCE only.

What are your expectations for this process?

What is it that you are searching for?

How will you know that you found it?

How will this feel?

How will this change you?

Chat soon,

Cheers,
Neroli

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi Neroli,

I apologize I was not able to log into the site yesterday. I don't have internet at home and wanted to take your suggestion of typing my responses in another program and pasting them before I get logged out. I am able to do this Wednesday through Sunday at my office.

So here are the answers to your first questions.

What are your expectations for this process?
I have “glimpsed” the reality of no self many times. I’m not sure if this has become my permanent state because I don’t have as clear of a contrast (or reference point) as before.

Is there a way of knowing this as your permanent reality?

Some level of seeking or doubt would fall away.

How will this feel?
More natural.

A deeper relaxation into the present moment.

Thank you,
Satchitananda

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi SitChatAnanda,

I'm not sure which time zone you're in, but as I understand it, you will be posting once per day from Wed through to Sunday, but not the days in between?

We'll run through your responses now...
Is there a way of knowing this as your permanent reality?
In response to that, as there is no self, it already is your permanent reality, you just haven't recognized it...it probably won't look or feel the way you expect it to.
Some level of seeking or doubt would fall away.
Life tends to go on the same as it always did, before seeing, chop wood carry water, after seeing, chop wood carry water...I'm replacing the word enlightenment with seeing because enlightenment is such a loaded word...people expect it to mean eternal bliss and happiness, that's not a helpful expectation to have, it gets in the way. It's just seeing the truth and that's a simple but profound thing...and life goes on as it always did.
How will this feel?
More natural.
Perhaps, it's hard to know what it will feel like for you :)

A deeper relaxation into the present moment.
This may be the case, but it's worth noting that Life tends to go on the same as it always did.

can you respond to this one?
What's your gut response when you read this:

There is no self whatsoever, in any shape or form. There never has been, and there never will be.
This investigation centers around looking in experience to see if a self-entity can be found anywhere there. This is accompanied by seeing that it is in thoughts and only in thoughts that 'I' ever 'occurs' and that 'I' doesn't actually occur there either because thoughts, or at least their contents, are neither reliable nor real in any sense.

So, let's start investigating where a self-entity might be by looking at sense arisings and the self as experiencer:
When you look at something, a book, a tree outside or whatever, can you find an 'I' that is looking or seeing, or is there just seeing?

If there is an 'I', where are the boundaries between what is being seen, the seeing process itself and the seer?

Please do the same with hearing: birdsong, music, a car driving past or whatever. When you hear a sound, can you find an 'I' that is doing the hearing, or is there just hearing happening?

If there is an 'I', where are the boundaries between the sound and what is being heard? We'll go through all the senses, but just start with sight and sound.

Don't think about it and there's no need to try to get it, it's just a matter of looking at you direct experience as you see and hear,

cheers,
neroli

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 pm

What's your gut response when you read this:

My gut response is Who have I been? Who is doing all of this? Who created all the suffering in my life? Who experiences the moments of joy and peace? What’s going to happen to me?

After these thoughts, I also think, “who cares”. I’m tired of trying to be in control anyway! Besides, things always seem to work out the way they're going to. I like the idea of just sitting back and watching it happen. My experiences with the senses of sight and sound also reveal there is no self doing this, but sight and sound are happening.

So, that’s it?

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi SitChatAnanda,

thanks for your responses :) we'll go through some now...
My gut response is Who have I been? Who is doing all of this? Who created all the suffering in my life? Who experiences the moments of joy and peace? What’s going to happen to me?
So, re your gut response, where are those words coming from? Is your gut responding with those words? How is your gut responding with those words?
My experiences with the senses of sight and sound also reveal there is no self doing this, but sight and sound are happening.
So, in that exercise, you're confirming there is no self "doing" the seeing or listening, both things re just happening. So when you go through the other senses, taste, smell and touch, can you find a self that is tasting, smelling and feeling through the sense of touch? Is there a self doing any of these things and if so, how is the self doing them?

Cheers :) neroli

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 pm

So, re your gut response, where are those words coming from? Is your gut responding with those words? How is your gut responding with those words?

When I look carefully, these responses come as thoughts but I cannot say where the thoughts are coming from. They too seem to be just happening.

So, in that exercise, you're confirming there is no self "doing" the seeing or listening, both things re just happening. So when you go through the other senses, taste, smell and touch, can you find a self that is tasting, smelling and feeling through the sense of touch? Is there a self doing any of these things and if so, how is the self doing them?

It seems that all sense perceptions are just happening. I cannot locate a “center” or self that creates sense pereptions.

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Not from what you think, but from direct experience, please say:

Where do thoughts come from?
Thanks for your responses SatChitAnanda :)

I will often re-write what you've said as confirmation...then move on to the next questions...

from your last responses,
the words are coming from thought, you're not sure where thought is coming from, it just seems to be happening
...great, we're going to look at this some more...

Not from what you think, but from direct experience, please say:

Are you in control of thoughts?

Can you stop a thought from coming?

Can you stop it in the middle?

Do you know what the next thought will be?

Is 'I' a different thought from the thought of say, a table?

Can a thought think?

Next you said...
It seems that all sense perceptions are just happening. I cannot locate a “center” or self that creates sense perceptions.
great again, moving along with this...you say it "seems" that all sense perceptions are just happening....seems means there is some doubt about that...can you say whether all those sense perceptions, taste, smell, touch, hearing, seeing are just happening or is there a self involved in them anywhere, doing or directing any of them?

Great work :)

cheers,
neroli

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Hey SatChitAnanda :)

Ignore the top 2 lines of my last msg..."Not from what you think, but from direct experience, please say:

Where do thoughts come from?" you answered that already...I thought I'd deleted it but somehow it got stuck at the top of the msg!!! : /

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi SatChitAnanda :)

I'm about to begin a travel stint that will go for a day and arrive at my final destination tomorrow night...so I'll be offline for at least 24 hours...more like 36 though :)

chat soon,
cheers,
neroli

myporties2

Postby myporties2 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Ok, thanks! Hope you have safe and happy travels!

Anna77

Postby Anna77 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi there,

I've been trying to post replies and they're not posting - just checking if it will work xn

Return to “ARCHIVES”