Requesting a guide

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Amanda44

Requesting a guide

Postby Amanda44 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi,

I've been a practicing Buddhist for 18 years and am a member of the Triratna Buddhist Order. I've done quite a bit of meditation and study, and completely buy into the idea of no self on an intellectual level. Maybe even got some glimpses of it at times. I now want to be able to live it for real. I'm requesting a guide, preferably someone who is also a member of my order – if that's possible.

Thank you!

Detox

Re: Requesting a guide

Postby Detox » Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 am

Hi Tara - do you have a guide.

If not I'm happy to guide you - my name is Detox - and I am an Order Member

Amanda44

Postby Amanda44 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Detox,
Well isn't that funny. I know who you are. I'm your chapter convenor. You're the one who told me about this site. I thought there might be a chance you'd end up as my guide! Well, this could be fun. Sure!

Detox

Postby Detox » Fri May 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Oh Sunada ----- For some reason i thought you were in the UK. I was asked if I would guide you...... So let me know if you are comfortable with that. I have just finished guiding an OM--- and it was an inspiring process for us both. So let me know if you are happy - or if you would prefer someone else - and I will see what other OMs are available.

I am comfortable but you need to be too.

Complete confidentiality - and I do not discuss with anyone outside of LU - who I am guiding.

Amanda44

Postby Amanda44 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Well... I sat with the thought overnight. And given that I am still feeling undecided tells me that maybe I should ask for someone else. It's not that I feel uncomfortable, but something is making me hesitate. So I'm thinking I should take that as a sign. If there's someone else available, that would probably be better.

Thanks.

Detox

Postby Detox » Sat May 18, 2013 6:39 pm

okay I will ask - I think amaragita is about to start guiding - so I will ask her - and put a request on the order site - glad I checked be well

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Sun May 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Tara33,
Just checking that we are ready to go?
Mad biker

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm

PS
See my Facebook message to you.

Amanda44

Postby Amanda44 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 am

Yes, thanks! Definitely ready to go. So where do I begin? And I'll see you on FB too.

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

OK, lets get the formalities out of the way :

If you haven't already seen it, there is intro info here, our disclaimer and a short video too.
http://www.liberationunleashed.com/
If you could confirm you have seen all the above and would like me to be your guide - then we
shall begin.

There are a few ground rules, please respond to confirm:
1. You agree to post at least once a day.
2. In general, the guide will ask the questions for you to respond to
3. Responses require your utmost honesty
4. Responses are best from direct experience (felt senses and observed thoughts). Longwinded
analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress.
5. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies and such for the remainder of this investigation.
Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily and
essential meditation practice, it is fine to continue that.
6. Please learn to use the quote function; instructions are located in the link below this line:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660”

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 pm

An important preliminary: please could you confirm that you have read the Disclaimer on the home page?

Also a couple of very mundane points...

1. You might find it helpful to click the 'subscribe topic' link at the bottom of the page, so you know when I post a reply
2. The site has a nasty habit of logging you out while you write a reply, which can mean you lose what you have written. One way to avoid this is to write elsewhere, then just paste the message into the 'reply' window when you're ready to send

Please could you introduce yourself a little, particularly:

* what brings you to Liberation Unleashed?
* what do you hope to get out of the journey?
* what would you expect it to be like it you are successful?
Be as expansive as you want, hey just cut loose! But give me fully written, complete sentences in plain English with no abbreviations and little, or better still, no slang terms or figures of speech, as the all of the latter can impede comprehension. For the same reason it can be worth leaving aside idiosyncratic humour. I like a laugh like the best of them but the limitations of this medium are such that all of the above can slow things down in the comprehension department! With much warm metta.
Mb

Amanda44

Postby Amanda44 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:16 am

Hi MB,

Sorry again for the delay in responding. I knew I had a couple of full days on Sunday and today. I didn't want to get started until I felt I could put my mind to this.

So as for the formalities:
- I've read the disclaimer and completely accept its points.
- I've read through all the ground rules, and agree to those as well.
- I am subscribed to my topic and am getting notifications.

Here's my self introduction.
I first heard about LU from my chapter-mate "Detox". I spent quite a bit of time reading through the site and looking at the videos. I was immediately interested. I knew I would jump in, it was just a matter of finding the right time to do it.

What do I hope to get out of it? As I said in my initial post, my dharma studies have convinced me that no-self is the way things are -- intellectually. I have at times gotten hints of it experientially, but they've just been hints.

I remember a time on retreat when I was meditating at a place in the midst of vast natural beauty. During that sit, there was a bird singing right near me. I remember experiencing that bird's song as pure sound. It's like I was not there. There was just bird song passing through this space that I occupied. It was enormously freeing. But I note that I still describe it as a space that "I" occupied.

I have not had an experience like that since. But I know it was real. I know it was significant.

What would I expect it to be like if I'm successful? I think letting go of my self would mean that the views that I cling to become looser. I expect that I will still have the views, but that they won't hold sway over me quite so much. And that perhaps I'll be able to see around them a little better.

I have no illusions that this is anything like ultimate insight. I'm not expecting some massive spiritual breakthrough. I'm thinking that maybe it will be like my dropping some unnecessary baggage (self-views) thats weighing me down in this life. That sounds really attractive to me.

I'm also aware that one of those self-views is a strong attachment to achievement and accomplishment. I'm confessing to you right up front that this unhelpful self-view is part of my motivation for being here -- being more "accomplished" in my practice. It would be good to drop that baggage too.

By the way, my meditation practice for many years now has really focused on somatic awareness. I feel very inspired by Anapanasati and Satipatthana. So the Direct Experience approach feels very comfortable to me.

Is this enough to start with? Or would you like me to say more?

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Tue May 21, 2013 7:11 am

That is all looking very good indeed. Those expectations are just fine. The bird story could easily end up being your; 'sitting under the rose-apple tree watching his father ploughing' reference moment. Don't be too upset by spiritual ambition, there is just not enough of it around these days. You are quite right to pursue insight and you would have to have an IQ of less than four not to be aware in advance that it will positively affect your life and relationships and yes, your business will really take-off big time! Of course 'you' will not be the same 'you' and will really know why worldly success is not everything. Meanwhile let's go for some real gold here!

It is plain from your post that you are really going to succeed here. There is no doubt in my mind that you are going to 'get it'. I have no caveats or 'howevers' to add to those last two statements.

I now ask you to just allow yourself to centre yourself a little, to leave aside your previous activity, to arrive on your seat more fully by taking six mindful breaths. Just allowing yourself to savour those six breaths in a spirit of kindly awareness before continuing.

I now want to ask you to look at this:
What is your immediate response when you read:

There is no ‘self’, no ‘me’, no ‘I’, and there never has been. The sense of ‘self’ and what appears to be ‘selfing’ behaviour have always arisen in the complete absence of any truly existing ‘I’.

There are five statements in two sentences. Take your time over each statement before responding. Really take the statements in, but tell me your immediate response.

Amanda44

Postby Amanda44 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 am

OK here goes.
There is no ‘self’
All the stories and concepts that I carry about this person I think I am are all just that. Stories and interpretations. They are layers and concepts that I've put upon the reality of this existence. None of then are ultimately real. I don't just say that because I've studied it as dharma. I do feel like they are raincoats I wear, and not truly essential.
no ‘me’
I guess 'me' refers to the objective end of experience as opposed to 'I', which is the subjective. I'm speaking here from my intellect. I'm not sure if I can say anything here from direct experience, apart from what I said about 'stories' above.
no ‘I’
Same as above.
there never has been
I imagine life as like a constantly flowing river. The flow can have different qualities from time to time (e.g. gets stuck in eddies, flow strongly, flows slowly, dries to a trickle, becomes a deluge, etc.). And like water in real life, it's not born and doesn't die. It's just always there (as rain, dew, mist, clouds, etc). It constantly changes shape, but it has no "source." Again, I'm speaking from my intellect more than direct experience -- but perhaps not completely. I do sense that 'me' as a rupa in this life is just one drop in a vast endless ocean of existence. And life is just a process of continual shape-shifting.
The sense of ‘self’ and what appears to be ‘selfing’ behaviour have always arisen in the complete absence of any truly existing ‘I’.
"Selfing" is an extra that makes that raincoat I wear thicker and heavier. I do feel like it's often a burden. A lot of it is helpful for me to get along in society. It's necessary, but not essential.

I seem to use water as a analogy a lot. It really speaks to me.

Mad biker

Postby Mad biker » Tue May 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Nice observations.
OK, just arrive a bit more in that chair.
Do your six breaths in a spirit of kindly awareness. The latter are not for becoming deeply absorbed, just becoming relatively present and allowing a gap to emerge from your last activity.

Just sitting there now, at your screen, sit back and take your six consecutive mindful breaths.
At the end if the final breath, I want to ask you to turn your attention to your thought processes.

Simply bring your attention to the 'place' where thoughts are emerging now. Take awareness to THIS current thought - can you find the thought that is happening right now?

A useful way in, though slightly more contrived can be to just think deliberately; "I am about to have a thought, and that thought is..."

Notice what happens, and then get back to me with what you observe.

Return to “ARCHIVES”