Need a Guide

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
paradox

Need a Guide

Postby paradox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

hello all. I'm in desperate need of a guide. The past ear I have become obsessed wit spirituality and the "quest for enlightenment." I've been meditating and trying to stay in the present but I still feel like I'm missing something. I understand tis intellectually but I don't feel it. I don't waste an more time on this, I feel like I'm right next to the gate but I have no idea how to walk through. Anyway if anyone wants to be my guide I would sincerely appreciate it. My names Tarik btw.

Behzad

Re: Need a Guide

Postby Behzad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello Tarik,

Welcome. I would love to guide you, if it`s okej for you?

There are a few ground rules - the usual - please respond to confirm:

1. You agree to post at least once a day, time permitting.
2. I will post questions, which prompt your investigation and answers.
3. When you answer/report, please do so with 110% honestly and answer from what you see,
4. and when you do answer, please answer from direct experience (felt senses and observed thoughts). Long winded analytical and philosophical answers are not needed and may even hinder progress.
5. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies and such for the remainder of this journey. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily and essential meditation practice, it is fine to continue that.
6. Please learn to use the quote function, instructions are located in the link below this line:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

And please, try to keep the language as simple as possible, because English is my second language. If this is fine with you we can start the process : )

Could you start with giving me a little bit information about youre spiritual path. What you have done along the way, teachers you have been with, books you have read and so on so I know approximately where youre at.

Love
Behzad

paradox

Postby paradox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm

I agree to all the terms you listed. Thanks so much for agreeing to guide me.

Hello Tarik,
Could you start with giving me a little bit information about youre spiritual path. What you have done along the way, teachers you have been with, books you have read and so on so I know approximately where youre at.

Love
Behzad
Mostly everything I know has come from checking books out at the library on mindfulness and spirituality. I've read pretty much all of Eckart Tolles books, as well as Jed McKenna and I've been meditating regularly the past couple of months. I also read the book from this site last night. I've never had a teacher in person, all I know comes from reading books and trying to apply what they teach.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

Okej Tarik, sounds good.

You dont need anything to see what you are or what you are not. No knowledge, no practise, no meditation, no being with teachers and so on. Literally nothing from the past or the future. Just a fire, a fire for the truth, little bit of curiosity to take a look to see how things really are, not what you have been taught to belive. And honesty, to be really honest about what you see in youre direct experience so we can take a look at reality and see if there really is an I here that is living life. This you have to find out. If I give you the answer then it want do a damn thing for you, its not helpful. You have to see this for youreself. So I can only point you where to look so you can take a look. This is all about LOOKING. It has nothing to do with thought, thinking, analyzing, remembering, conceptualizing and so on. Just looking and verifying whats real and whats not real.

So, What are your expectations for liberation?
How will this feel?
How will this change you?

I am asking you to empty youre pocket, I want you to write down every expectation you have about this.

Take youre time...

paradox

Postby paradox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Okej Tarik, sounds good.

So, What are your expectations for liberation?
How will this feel?
How will this change you?
I expect to finally get rid of that feeling of knowing something's missing but not knowing what it is. I expect to feel peace but only because I've found truth. Also a little fear, because this is a very different view than I was raised to believe and to find out its true would be a little shocking. I hope to end up more calm, and content in whatever situation I'm in and have a deeper appreciation of life. No more getting into pointless arguments I know are pointless, no more letting my thoughts control my actions.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I expect to finally get rid of that feeling of knowing something's missing but not knowing what it is. I expect to feel peace but only because I've found truth. Also a little fear, because this is a very different view than I was raised to believe and to find out its true would be a little shocking. I hope to end up more calm, and content in whatever situation I'm in and have a deeper appreciation of life. No more getting into pointless arguments I know are pointless, no more letting my thoughts control my actions.
Sounds good, so if this no self stuff have never been seen before in youre case, can you know with 120% certainty how it will feel like, look like and what changes may appear out of this seeing?

If you cant know with 120% certainty how it will feel like, look like and what changes may appear out of this seeing then from where has all this expectations comed?

paradox

Postby paradox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Sounds good, so if this no self stuff have never been seen before in youre case, can you know with 120% certainty how it will feel like, look like and what changes may appear out of this seeing?

If you cant know with 120% certainty how it will feel like, look like and what changes may appear out of this seeing then from where has all this expectations comed?
All my expectations come from what I've read, or at least how my mind interprets it.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Good Tarik, so what I am trying to say is that you can let all the expectaions go. Why keep on carry things that we think/assume is real. Better to let these pass and to go and find out how things actually are. When you know how things actually are then those expectations that were not real will fall of by their own. So put the expectations at the side for now so you can take a freash look at how things are.

So lets get it on....

Different words point to different things. Like the word flower points to the actual flower. The word is not the thing. You cant smell the word flower only the actual flower. What does the word "I" or "me" point to, here and now?

Take a look and let me know what comes up....

paradox

Postby paradox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Good Tarik, so what I am trying to say is that you can let all the expectaions go. Why keep on carry things that we think/assume is real. Better to let these pass and to go and find out how things actually are. When you know how things actually are then those expectations that were not real will fall of by their own. So put the expectations at the side for now so you can take a freash look at how things are.

So lets get it on....

Different words point to different things. Like the word flower points to the actual flower. The word is not the thing. You cant smell the word flower only the actual flower. What does the word "I" or "me" point to, here and now?

Take a look and let me know what comes up....

Ok, I'll try to let go of my expectations.

The word "I' seems to point to the hands typing this sentence. I also points to the rest of my body legs arms etc.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:45 pm

The word "I' seems to point to the hands typing this sentence. I also points to the rest of my body legs arms etc.
So the I points to the body.

So is the whole body the I?
Where is the exact location of the I, can you point with youre finger where it is?
If I would take apart youre hands, leg, ear, eyes etc will youre sense of I change? Will you be less of an I?

Look at the computer in front of you. Where is the actual computer? Can you see the computer in reality/direct experience?
There is a screen in front of you, there is buttons, colours, electricity, there is wires and so on but where is the actual computer? The sum of all these components, is the computer right? Its like if you put all these components together then you get the computer but if you would take away every component in the computer and put them in front of you so you could see them, will you see the computer then? Has there ever been a computer?

Apply this seeing to the I/Me. We have thoughts, our 5 senses, the body and a sense of being/existing. If we put all these together then we get an I/Me. All these makes the I/Me. But if we could seperate all these things and put them one by one in front of us so we could see them, would you see the I/ME then? Where would the I be? Has there ever been an I here? How come you can see/know thoughts, the 5 senses, the body and the sense of being/existing but not the I?

Take youre time to answer these questions, every single one of them.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:25 am

How are things going my frieand?

paradox

Postby paradox » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:11 pm

So the I points to the body.

So is the whole body the I?
Where is the exact location of the I, can you point with youre finger where it is?
If I would take apart youre hands, leg, ear, eyes etc will youre sense of I change? Will you be less of an I?

Look at the computer in front of you. Where is the actual computer? Can you see the computer in reality/direct experience?
There is a screen in front of you, there is buttons, colours, electricity, there is wires and so on but where is the actual computer? The sum of all these components, is the computer right? Its like if you put all these components together then you get the computer but if you would take away every component in the computer and put them in front of you so you could see them, will you see the computer then? Has there ever been a computer?

Apply this seeing to the I/Me. We have thoughts, our 5 senses, the body and a sense of being/existing. If we put all these together then we get an I/Me. All these makes the I/Me. But if we could seperate all these things and put them one by one in front of us so we could see them, would you see the I/ME then? Where would the I be? Has there ever been an I here? How come you can see/know thoughts, the 5 senses, the body and the sense of being/existing but not the I?

Take youre time to answer these questions, every single one of them.
No,the whole body is not the I and no matter where I point my finger its not at "I".

If you took away my limbs my sense of I"" wouldn't change, just my body.

The actual computer is in front of me and I can see it in direct experience as I type it.

your right though, there is no "computer" thats just what we call the functioning machine made up of different components. once it is built, however doesn't that make it a computer?

I can know my thoughts, sense etc because the are in my direct experience. "I" is harder because its mostly in my mind.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

No,the whole body is not the I and no matter where I point my finger its not at "I".
If its nowhere, what does that mean?
your right though, there is no "computer" thats just what we call the functioning machine made up of different components. once it is built, however doesn't that make it a computer?
Computer is a concept that points to all the components that we call computer, right. So its just a concept that points to all the components. There is no actual computer that you can see, touch, feel and smell. What you are touching, seeing is the components where is the computer then? Is it real? does it exist? Can you seperate the computer from the components and say ---> here is the computer?
I can know my thoughts, sense etc because the are in my direct experience. "I" is harder because its mostly in my mind.
Where is the I then? There is a story about you (the past) and probably another story about you (the future) things you want to accomplish. But those are storys only. Are these storys real? Are they here now? Are they happening in reality? Do you see them with the eyes? If not, then where are you?

If I ask you if there is a Batman, what would you answer? Where is he? Is he real? Can you find him if you look for him?

paradox

Postby paradox » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

1. If its nowhere, what does that mean?

It means I don't exist. Wow, sounds so simple but why is it so hard for me to SEE it?

2. What you are touching, seeing is the components where is the computer then? Is it real? does it exist? Can you seperate the computer from the components and say ---> here is the computer?

I am touching keyboard keys not a computer. No a "computer" isn't real, its just a label for this functioning machin built up of real components. I can't separate the computer from the components because the computer itself is made up of the components. Take one away, and its not a computer, just a broken machine.

3. Where is the I then? There is a story about you (the past) and probably another story about you (the future) things you want to accomplish. But those are storys only. Are these storys real? Are they here now? Are they happening in reality? Do you see them with the eyes? If not, then where are you?

The "I" is only located in my mind. It's impossible to see it with my eyes. Tye stories from my past seem real because remember experiencing them. The stories from my future are not. Neither of them happen in reality and I see neither of them with my eyes. No your right I don't see any of them wit my eyes just my mind. I'm in my head not in the real
world.

4. If I ask you if there is a Batman, what would you answer? Where is he? Is he real? Can you find him if you look for him?

No batman isn't real, he is a concept. Just a character that we collectively know about. I cannot find him except in comic books.

Behzad

Postby Behzad » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 am

It means I don't exist. Wow, sounds so simple but why is it so hard for me to SEE it?
Arent you already seeing it. The absence of you? There is nothing more then that. Can you find an I anywhere? Look again to make sure if there is any doubts, see if you find any I/Me? Keep looking until there is no doubt about there being an I/Me here. Has there ever been an I here? Can there ever be an I here in the future?
I am touching keyboard keys not a computer. No a "computer" isn't real, its just a label for this functioning machin built up of real components. I can't separate the computer from the components because the computer itself is made up of the components. Take one away, and its not a computer, just a broken machine.
Beautiful, has there ever been a computer here? Will there ever be a computer here?
The "I" is only located in my mind. It's impossible to see it with my eyes. Tye stories from my past seem real because remember experiencing them. The stories from my future are not. Neither of them happen in reality and I see neither of them with my eyes. No your right I don't see any of them wit my eyes just my mind. I'm in my head not in the real
world.
So if the storys is not here, do they exist, are they real? Whats real and whats unreal?
No batman isn't real, he is a concept. Just a character that we collectively know about. I cannot find him except in comic books.
Can you see any similarity between batman and you?

Return to “ARCHIVES”