Requesting a Guide

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
noellgrace

Requesting a Guide

Postby noellgrace » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi...I'd like a Guide to assist in seeing through personhood, please!. Ripe and Ready. Love, Noell

Metta777

Re: Requesting a Guide

Postby Metta777 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Noel, Merry Christmas!! I would be your guide if you wish. We have to come to some agreements first. We should have daily contact. Put aside any preconceived or practiced spiritual beliefs temporarily. Be as open and honest as you can in your answers. What are your expectations about this process? Metta
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:23 am

Hi..I just found this way of responding to you. You'll find an email from me as well. Let me know which you prefer.

I've had huge expectations about the Realized state...that I would abide as perfect peace at all times, expansive, uncondtitional love and unity with all that is. But a lot of that has fallen away as I've recently had some glimpses of the extent to which I've been believing and identifying with my thoughts...especially the "spiritual ones". I agree to have daily contact....and to be as transparent and honest as I possibly can.

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am

Hi Noel, I think here is good, then all the posts are available to look at again if we want. Plus there are other resources here on site for you if you wish to access them? Audio, video, etc.
.that I would abide as perfect peace at all times, expansive, uncondtitional love and unity with all that is. But a lot of that has fallen away as I've recently had some glimpses of the extent to which I've been believing and identifying with my thoughts...especially the "spiritual ones".

Good, because we don't become saints, or become better persons as a result of enlightenment. We are perfect the way we are. :-)
So we can start by looking at thoughts. Are you your thoughts or put another way, are your thoughts your identity? Are feelings who you are? Where is your identity, if you search can you find a central place that is your identity? If for example you lost a foot, would that effect your identity, would it make you a different person?
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 am

Hi....I'm only recently coming to a fuller realization that I'm not my thoughts or feelings. Although I can still jump on a train of thought and temporarily think/ experience it as defining me in some way, once I "come to", it is clear that the thoughts are passing through my awareness...so can't be what I am. So often I'll notice.."OMG...those are just thoughts...or pictures floating by...they are the stuff of my reality. Same with the feelings. It seems the ones I'm prone to form a 'me' around are those I'm resisting in some way. So allowing them to be as they are...without labeling them...and noticing the energy flows and dissipates...has been helpful. I've looked for some egoic "central control" in my body/mind and haven't found it. If I lost a foot...I might create a story about how it's changed my life, ability to navigate, but I don;t feel it would define me.

I look forward to tomorrow's inquiry.

Love

Noell

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 am

typo corrected! ....the thoughts and pictures are not the stuff of my reality.

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Noel, You have a beautiful name, by the way. You are doing well. When I use you, me or I it is just for the convenience of communicating.
So, a few exercises, close your eyes and sit very quietly and see if you can find an edge or end to awareness. One more..... sitting at your computer and looking at the keyboard, can you find where your fingers end and the keyboard begins? Not physically, but in awareness. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Metta.....Awareness is seamless, edgeless...and no, I can't find where my fingers end and the keyboard begins.

Love

Noell

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 am

.Awareness is seamless, edgeless...and no, I can't find where my fingers end and the keyboard begins.
Yes! So we see from that ,that awareness is whole and cannot be separated. So when thinking about awareness and it is not a thing, but looking or seeing, what does that say about your identity?

Yes, the thoughts that are difficult not to invest in are usually the ones that bring up emotion, especially around family or other loved ones. But that is not their identity either.

If we could look at thoughts as cars passing by while sitting on the front porch, you see some cars are really nice, some are just of no interest and some are real junkers,lol. Then we could not jump into any of them, invest no emotion in them. Just observe them passing. Because thoughts just happen and emotions just happen, but we can choose to not let something upset the apple cart. They will still happen and out of habit in a flash sometimes emotion attaches to them so quick. the perspective can change however.
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Dear Metta...

Regarding this statement:

"So when thinking about awareness and it is not a thing, but looking or seeing, what does that say about your identity"..... could you clarify this, especially the "but". Are you saying awareness is looking and seeing?

In the moments of inquiry...I have the direct experience of all oneness...thoughts, feelings, sensations arising in/as awareness. But it doesn't feel like any kind of fundamental, sustained shift of perspective...for when I'm in the midst of daily doings, it's back to perceiving as a 'me'. So is it just a matter of sticking with the inquiry, repeatedly throughout the day? And..as you stated, the appearances that are more ID sticky are those with emotions attached. To be specific, "I'm feeling depressed" is one that's become more persistent lately.

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm

I am going to ask you, :-) Is awareness looking and seeing only or does it feel like and "I" or you looking and seeing?
Can the thinking or the thoughts arising be seen as just happening? Or do you have control of that? What is always there? You are doing well.

Depression is a projection based on a past story. If we have a painful story or painful events in our past, our mind is a label machine, it organizes and it bases pour actions on things that were experienced prior. Kind of like advanced software. Since what happened in the past can't happen again,literally, it is over and dead, and the future is only a projection based on past events, that leaves Only now, this moment. When thoughts are "selfed" it brings up all kinds of emotion and energies. Also, depression is linked to cognitive dissonance in a way. If a child were told they were stupid for example all their lives by family and went to college and got a 3.8 average which is excellent. What happens with that child do you think?

Regards, Metta
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi Metta...yes...the looking feels like a non specific spaciousness that is always here and now. As for whether there is any seeming control about what thoughts arise...I just did an experiment and intentionally thought "The book is open". Is that having control over the thinking? (like, in the old days, doing affirmations to "create" a more positive self/life) But I'd have to say that...no...there's no control over even "intended" thought, (let alone the stream of thoughts and images that seem to randomly appear and disappear). There's no control, because there's no actual "i" to control them...so, indeed, they're just happening.

It would follow that depression just happens as well.

I can't honestly say that I know what would happen with the child in your example.

Love

Noell

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:19 pm

The child would at first feel like this is an accident, luck, whatever, but would not be able to feel good about it. Because of the earlier programming. Eventually with enough success the cognitive dissonance would let the child see he or she was lied to and would drop the faulty programming or conditioning.
Depression is a complicated thing, it might be biological or not. there are tests that will tell a person that. a simple blood test helps diagnose. But many times it is due to faulty conditioning. As the child above,but it is not always so obvious. Write down for yourself a journal of thoughts, what are you telling yourself , is it positive or neg. It does just happen, but that doesn't mean that the process by which it happens , (the chain of thoughts) can't be worked on. Ex:...If someone said to themselves when they make a mistake, " I am so stupid, I always make mistakes." They can challenge that. Write the neg statement and then write the challenge. The answer to that is, No one can always make mistakes, impossible! Secondly, everyone makes mistakes so it doesn't mean a person is stupid. This is dealing with the depression if it persists. Do you see anyone for the depression? Is it long standing? If it is due to a loss of some kind like a death or breakup, then it is normal to go through a period of grieving. Though really there is no normal .
Do you feel as if you understand that there is no " I ", if so ,how does that make you feel? Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

noellgrace

Postby noellgrace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes... I understand there is no "i"...and I experience it directly when I'm resting as awareness or doing the inquiry. There is always peace immediately present. As I said before, when I get very involved with daily life that sense of peace can shift to the background of attention.

Thanks for the tips about challenging the thoughts. I'm not seeing anyone for the feelings of depression...am not inclined to...It's been present intermittently, along with other strong emotions and surfacing beliefs has been intermittent in the past several months...as have many other strong emotions and surfacing beliefs. I attribute this upsurge of material coming to Light as being due to a practice I began about 10 months ago..of resting as awareness for short moments, allowing everything to be as it is, repeated many times throughout the day. (whenever I remember to) I'm much more aware of the stuff that's been sitting around in the basement, so to speak.

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes, that is very good and it will happen. As long as you are able to function approaching it like that is great. Things will come up, no doubt. I think you have seen, do you have any doubts or question about this? If not I could give you the final questions. If there is still some specific doubts you have or areas of work let me know. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Return to “ARCHIVES”