How to Be Here Now

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
foxinthefern

How to Be Here Now

Postby foxinthefern » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I've been taught that what I think of as my self is false and an illusion, and in actuality, a collection of functions and reactions for the preservation of the ego. "I" am not my thoughts, senses or emotions, etc. There is no experiencer, only experience. In terms of non-duality, there is no separateness, just one consciousness.

What are you looking for at LU?
I've been seeking liberation in an array of shapes and forms through a variety of methods. What that liberation I have been seeking looks like or means, has changed throughout the years. Sometimes I feel very sure of what it is I am looking for and sometimes I don't. Regardless of all the types of spiritual education and practices I have engaged in, none of the methods that I have practiced have been able to provide me any substantial outcome. What I am looking for now is to truly be here and now, and experience the present moment. I want to be able to perceive things as they truly are.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
I honestly don't know what to expect. I hope to receive whatever it is that I need to assist in experiencing the direct realization of the absence of a separate self. Perhaps this would include thought-provoking questions, meditations or exercises of some sort. It's hard for me to imagine what direct pointing or guided conversation looks like since it seems to be quite different than other practices I've done. I'm open-minded and will participate in whatever ways are recommended.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I was raised by atheists. My father was a practitioner of martial arts and Qi Gong and have me a book on yoga and meditation when I was in high school. As a teen I began to have the feeling as if something was missing, and became interested in spirituality. In college, I began to read buddhist and self-help books. I encountered metaphysics and the "law of attraction" and focused on positive thinking. I took ecstasy and had an experience of what I interpreted as oneness, and it made me to believe that there was a more natural state of being (other than the one I was accustomed to) and subsequently I strived to achieve and understand that experience without the use of drugs. Still mostly by reading and doing meditations I found in books or online. I completed the Landmark Forum while in college, which introduced me to the idea that there is no meaning of life. All meaning is created by oneself. It also highlighted in my mind the importance of letting go of attachments. I began to do community service and wanted to focus my life/choose a career that was based on serving others.

After graduating from college I was introduced to Vipassana meditation which I practiced for with varying levels of commitment for some years. I did a 10 day retreat and some service retreats, but mainly practiced on my own. Around 2013, I discovered Ram Dass and listened to decades of his seminar recordings. This lead me to Hinduism and the many styles of yoga, at this time I read mostly sacred Indian texts (Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana) and books by disciples of Hindu saints. I began experimenting with prayer in a bhakti yoga type fashion. Then I began grad school and had very little time for spiritual practice, but there was a Theravada temple near my school and I would practice there when I could by meditating, listening to discourses and engaging in conversations lead by the monks. I was told if I wanted to expedite my search, I should become a nun and practice asceticism. I chose to continue the journey while keeping my way of life, I hoped it would be possible to do both.

I moved after grad school and sought to find a spiritual community from which to be a part of. I at this time did not feel any of the former practices had brought me any objective changes, and whatever progress I may have made was lost during grad school. I would say I began to see some similarities and common themes that underlined the teachings of different traditions, but I felt very hopeless and frustrated. I wished I could forget everything, but I could not. I began a career as a physician assistant in oncology, with daily exposure to death and suffering, which I think I partly was attracted to the field in hopes of a better understanding of both.

About 3 years ago I began a Korean style of meditation by Woo Myung - the subtraction (maum) method. It has a constant focus on the annihilation of the self in the form of giving up life lived (memories), identification with the body, and habits (?ancestral karma). Not long after starting this method, I heard a podcast that featured an interview with Eshwar Segobind, and it resonated with me. I decided to continue the subtraction method I had started, and I saved his information. I practiced the meditation diligently and consistently. Over the first year this practice did help in bringing me equanimity, but over the past 2 years I haven't experienced any noticeable progress or change. I feel I've gotten all I can from this practice and it is time for me to move on. I reached out to Eshwar and he directed me here.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

StaffordJR

Re: How to Be Here Now

Postby StaffordJR » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
I've been taught that what I think of as my self is false and an illusion, and in actuality, a collection of functions and reactions for the preservation of the ego. "I" am not my thoughts, senses or emotions, etc. There is no experiencer, only experience. In terms of non-duality, there is no separateness, just one consciousness.

I've been seeking liberation in an array of shapes and forms through a variety of methods. What that liberation I have been seeking looks like or means, has changed throughout the years. Sometimes I feel very sure of what it is I am looking for and sometimes I don't. Regardless of all the types of spiritual education and practices I have engaged in, none of the methods that I have practiced have been able to provide me any substantial outcome. What I am looking for now is to truly be here and now, and experience the present moment. I want to be able to perceive things as they truly are.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I hope to receive whatever it is that I need to assist in experiencing the direct realization of the absence of a separate self. Perhaps this would include thought-provoking questions, meditations or exercises of some sort. It's hard for me to imagine what direct pointing or guided conversation looks like since it seems to be quite different than other practices I've done. I'm open-minded and will participate in whatever ways are recommended.

I was raised by atheists. My father was a practitioner of martial arts and Qi Gong and have me a book on yoga and meditation when I was in high school. As a teen I began to have the feeling as if something was missing, and became interested in spirituality. In college, I began to read buddhist and self-help books. I encountered metaphysics and the "law of attraction" and focused on positive thinking. I took ecstasy and had an experience of what I interpreted as oneness, and it made me to believe that there was a more natural state of being (other than the one I was accustomed to) and subsequently I strived to achieve and understand that experience without the use of drugs. Still mostly by reading and doing meditations I found in books or online. I completed the Landmark Forum while in college, which introduced me to the idea that there is no meaning of life. All meaning is created by oneself. It also highlighted in my mind the importance of letting go of attachments. I began to do community service and wanted to focus my life/choose a career that was based on serving others.

After graduating from college I was introduced to Vipassana meditation which I practiced for with varying levels of commitment for some years. I did a 10 day retreat and some service retreats, but mainly practiced on my own. Around 2013, I discovered Ram Dass and listened to decades of his seminar recordings. This lead me to Hinduism and the many styles of yoga, at this time I read mostly sacred Indian texts (Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana) and books by disciples of Hindu saints. I began experimenting with prayer in a bhakti yoga type fashion. Then I began grad school and had very little time for spiritual practice, but there was a Theravada temple near my school and I would practice there when I could by meditating, listening to discourses and engaging in conversations lead by the monks. I was told if I wanted to expedite my search, I should become a nun and practice asceticism. I chose to continue the journey while keeping my way of life, I hoped it would be possible to do both.

I moved after grad school and sought to find a spiritual community from which to be a part of. I at this time did not feel any of the former practices had brought me any objective changes, and whatever progress I may have made was lost during grad school. I would say I began to see some similarities and common themes that underlined the teachings of different traditions, but I felt very hopeless and frustrated. I wished I could forget everything, but I could not. I began a career as a physician assistant in oncology, with daily exposure to death and suffering, which I think I partly was attracted to the field in hopes of a better understanding of both.

About 3 years ago I began a Korean style of meditation by Woo Myung - the subtraction (maum) method. It has a constant focus on the annihilation of the self in the form of giving up life lived (memories), identification with the body, and habits (?ancestral karma). Not long after starting this method, I heard a podcast that featured an interview with Eshwar Segobind, and it resonated with me. I decided to continue the subtraction method I had started, and I saved his information. I practiced the meditation diligently and consistently. Over the first year this practice did help in bringing me equanimity, but over the past 2 years I haven't experienced any noticeable progress or change. I feel I've gotten all I can from this practice and it is time for me to move on. I reached out to Eshwar and he directed me here.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?
Hi Jade !!!

It's me Stafford just wanted to make it official It'll Be my Pleasure to Be Your Guide & We'll make a time for a Video session !?! Talk soon & Sending much LoveImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 am

Hi Jade !!!

It's me Stafford just wanted to make it official It'll Be my Pleasure to Be Your Guide & We'll make a time for a Video session !?! Talk soon & Sending much LoveImageImageImageImage

Hi Jade !!!

I just wanted to say Really Enjoyed Our Session ImageImage !!!
Hope Your doing Ok & just checking in & wondering if You still want to continue ?!? It's totally ok if You don't but Be my Pleasure too Continue ImageImageImageImage
Sending much Love & Appreciation for You ImageImageImageImage

StaffordJR

Hi Jade !!!

Hi Jade !!!

Hope Your doing Ok & just checking in & wondering if You still want to continue ?!? It's totally ok if You don't but Be my Pleasure too Continue ImageImageImageImage

StaffordJR

Hi Jade !!!

Hi Jade !!!

foxinthefern

Postby foxinthefern » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 am

Hi Stafford!
Hope Your doing Ok & just checking in & wondering if You still want to continue ?!?
Yes, I definitely want to continue! I work longer hours, so I will probably be writing later at night most of the time : )

After we spoke last night, the thoughts about everything we discussed continued. And then I laughed, because I realized you knew that would happen, because I have no control and the thoughts were always going to happen regardless of what I "tried" to think or not think about. I did feel more calm and relaxed than I usually am, which I think was the result of acknowledging that. And then today I was swept up in work and just played my character for the day. I definitely get lost in the drama/maya/illusion the most while at work - which is when I suffer with anxiety, but I tried to welcome it with, "Hello anxiety, my old friend," whilst not giving it any extra attention.

So very grateful for your guidance,

Jade

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 am

Hi Stafford!
Hope Your doing Ok & just checking in & wondering if You still want to continue ?!?
Yes, I definitely want to continue! I work longer hours, so I will probably be writing later at night most of the time : )

After we spoke last night, the thoughts about everything we discussed continued. And then I laughed, because I realized you knew that would happen, because I have no control and the thoughts were always going to happen regardless of what I "tried" to think or not think about. I did feel more calm and relaxed than I usually am, which I think was the result of acknowledging that. And then today I was swept up in work and just played my character for the day. I definitely get lost in the drama/maya/illusion the most while at work - which is when I suffer with anxiety, but I tried to welcome it with, "Hello anxiety, my old friend," whilst not giving it any extra attention.

So very grateful for your guidance,

Jade
Hi Jade !!!

I Totally get it No Time Here Either Lol & let's try & Post Every Day too keep a Moment, However since Life Happens We'll let each other know if We are held up !!!

Ok Yes can't stop Thinking as You Notice Awesome Work...!!!
Now Notice What's Not Being Notice & is what's Being Notice You or Your Doing ???
Can You capture Noticing & make it something Else ???
Can Noticing Be True Nature with a You Created as an image within IT...???
OK stoping Here contemplate the Above & let me know what comes up when You can ?!?

Thanks my new Friend Doing Awesome & Sending much Love & Appreciation

Stafford ImageImageImageImage

foxinthefern

Postby foxinthefern » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:21 am

Hi Stafford!
let's try & Post Every Day too keep a Moment, However since Life Happens We'll let each other know if We are held up !!!
Yes, it's a deal!
Notice What's Not Being Notice & is what's Being Notice You or Your Doing ???
The doing is being noticed, but it seems that sometimes I get lost in the doing and the noticing is forgotten (or not noticed?), and I equate the doing with "me" doing it. There has been reminding that the feelings are happening, but they aren't happening to "me".
Can You capture Noticing & make it something Else ???
Nope. I believe the noticing is awareness, which is all there is. It couldn't capture itself.
Can Noticing Be True Nature with a You Created as an image within IT...???
Yes, the noticing/awareness is true nature and "I" am this very creative and detailed fabrication that distracts away from that true nature. I feel as if the image of "me" is covering up my awareness of this true awareness, if that makes any sense?? And it's hard to see the image to confirm what it truly is, probably because there is nothing even there to see. It makes me think that I have to give more attention to observing the ongoing processes that occur in the real-time creation of the image. Deconstruct it further...

Much love and gratitude,

Jade

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:28 am

Hi Jade !!! Great Answers !!!

Apologies my phone is acting weird Lol
So I'm going to make this short so my phone will say alive Lol !!!

Ok I understand how this Feels Totally Personal
& The I seems to cover up or distract from Noticing However There's no I Ego or any supposed Object without Noticing...!!!

Ok so You Also Mentioned about Nothing...?!?How can Nothing Be Known & Would Knowing Be Known by a Knower ???
Ok so far my phone hasn't stopped so Contemplate the above & See what comes up ?!?
Great work & Monika my Wife says if You like to do more Video session She won't mind so just let me know !!!
Sending Peace Life & Laughter
Stafford

foxinthefern

Postby foxinthefern » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:14 am

Hello again!
Ok I understand how this Feels Totally Personal
& The I seems to cover up or distract from Noticing However There's no I Ego or any supposed Object without Noticing...!!!
Yes, the noticing is always there. I guess maybe what I’m trying to say is sometimes I forget about it? It’s like I’m sliding all over on this spectrum between feeling like I’m watching the movie and acting in it.
How can Nothing Be Known
It can’t be…
Would Knowing Be Known by a Knower ???
No, because there is no one to know.

So to summarize, nothing can't be known by no one. LOL.
Monika my Wife says if You like to do more Video session She won't mind so just let me know
I’m happy to do whatever works best for you! : )

Jade

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:38 am

Hi Hey Jade !!!

Yes I Know What You mean on This !!! It's still Noticing & or Awareness God SAT CHIT ANANDA
Omnipresent Your True Nature Whatever The name !?!
Without IT would feelings like I'm watching the movie and acting in it couldn't Be Known !!!

(""""I’m trying to say is sometimes I forget about it? It’s like I’m sliding all over on this spectrum between feeling like I’m watching the movie and acting in it. """")

Now back on to Nothing = No Thing !!!
What except Concept can We discuss about That & what's wrong with no Real Answers can ever Be This That You Are !!!
Ok let me know what comes up out of this !?!

About the Video Session just wanted to let You it's still an option !!!

Sending much Love & Appreciation
Stafford

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Hey Jade !!!

Yes I Know What You mean on This !!! It's still Noticing & or Awareness God SAT CHIT ANANDA
Omnipresent Your True Nature Whatever The name !?!
Without IT would feelings like I'm watching the movie and acting in it couldn't Be Known !!!

(""""I’m trying to say is sometimes I forget about it? It’s like I’m sliding all over on this spectrum between feeling like I’m watching the movie and acting in it. """")

What except Concept can We discuss about That & what's wrong with no Real Answers can ever Be This That You Are !!!
Ok let me know what comes up out of this !?!

Sending much Love & Appreciation
Stafford !!!

foxinthefern

Postby foxinthefern » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:14 am

Hello!
Yes, I see what you are saying — the whole entire experience comes from it. Including the illusion of me who is getting it or not getting it.
Yes, the great void, the emptiness, the nothingness, that is also everything and all that there is. I see that it is pointless to try and describe or define it, we don’t have language to do that. But we still try and have this urge to do so, or at least I do. Even now, when I feel like I am really starting to see it more clearly, I always have the feeling that I only need to understand it a little better and that there must be some piece of the puzzle that isn’t fitting in to the whole thing just right. And then I take that a step further and realize I need to drop that compulsion, but feel powerless to do so. And then I say, well actually there’s nothing to even drop… and I go round and round in this circle. And it’s tiring, haha.

And maybe deep down I know everything is fine (cause there’s nothing to get), but my illusory self doesn’t want to accept that, because it has some other unrealistic expectations in mind.
If you’re up for it, Tuesdays are usually good for me, it’s my day off : )

Thanks forever,

Jade

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:41 am

("""Yes, I see what you are saying — the whole entire experience comes from it. Including the illusion of me who is getting it or not getting it. """)
Perfect Perfect But We're Still Believing in the Your Seeing...!!!

(""""Yes, the great void, the emptiness, the nothingness, that is also everything and all that there is. I see that it is pointless to try and describe or define it, we don’t have language to do that. But we still try and have this urge to do so, or at least I do. Even now, when I feel like I am really starting to see it more clearly,"'"")

Apologies but There's not a More Clearly !!!
It Totally feels like There's someone Seeing This However IT'S Just Seeing !!!
It's All Happening on it's Own & Yes Language Actually Confuses & Blinds The Seeing in away Lol !!!
So Drop All Knowledge & See How Everything Always IS !?! ?!? !!!
Ok let me know how that Feels !!!
Sending much Love & Appreciation Stafford

StaffordJR

Postby StaffordJR » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 am

("""Yes, I see what you are saying — the whole entire experience comes from it. Including the illusion of me who is getting it or not getting it. """)
Perfect Perfect But We're Still Believing in the Your Seeing...!!!

(""""Yes, the great void, the emptiness, the nothingness, that is also everything and all that there is. I see that it is pointless to try and describe or define it, we don’t have language to do that. But we still try and have this urge to do so, or at least I do. Even now, when I feel like I am really starting to see it more clearly,"'"")

Apologies but There's not a More Clearly !!!
It Totally feels like There's someone Seeing This However IT'S Just Seeing !!!
It's All Happening on it's Own & Yes Language Actually Confuses & Blinds The Seeing in away Lol !!!
So Drop All Knowledge & See How Everything Always IS !?! ?!? !!!
Ok let me know how that Feels !!!
Sending much Love & Appreciation Stafford ImageImageImageImage

Forgot to say Tuesday sounds Great Probably around the same time if that's Good for You ImageImageImageImage

Return to “THE GATE”