Time to see through the illusion

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Anastacia42

Re: Time to see through the illusion

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Good morning!
I don't know that I'm getting much out of this exercise. Maybe my chair is too hard? There are so many stark sensations there that it feels that I can feel a demarcation, though I know I'm not supposed to be able to.
No, your chair is not too hard. You are simply too gullible. You believe the stories, lies, really. that your thoughts are telling. You must get past that to see.

When you see, it will be like those optical illusion drawings of old woman/ young woman or candlestick/ two faces or the newer ones called, "magic eye." I find the magic eye ones a little difficult.

https://images.app.goo.gl/nKpXCnBi3qbuhAWQA

https://www.magiceye.com/stwkdisp.htm

Yes, there are Sensations. That is Direct Experience.But does Sensation mean there's a dividing line? LOOK some more. Question your interpretation.
But turned inward, there's nothing there.
Good. Keep LOOKING there.

Have I shared this sort video with you? Take a look.

https://youtu.be/S1IMtiSA0YU
It feels like the "self-mode" is turned all the way on for dealing with the all these interactions and duties.
That is fear mode. It can be useful in a limited way. It keeps the body out of danger, but there is much less danger than our thinking believes. It isn't needed for just "interactions and duties." You will discover this when you SEE.

I will refrain from giving you more to do until after the surgery. When I was guided here I was given only ButtChair. I looked with that for 3 months until I saw.

Keep doing these two & please do post every day until Thursday. After that, let me know if you want a couple of days break.

You're welcome. as always.

Loving,
~ Stacy

"Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion."

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 am

Good evening!
You are simply too gullible. You believe the stories, lies, really. that your thoughts are telling. You must get past that to see.
I agree, but the idea that there is a "me" who is gullible and believing another "me's" stories keeps tying me up in knots.
When you see, it will be like those optical illusion drawings of old woman/ young woman or candlestick/ two faces or the newer ones called, "magic eye." I find the magic eye ones a little difficult.
I know what you're saying. And it's ironic that you mention the Magic Eye thing. It's a very similar situation to looking for the self for me in that with the magic eye pictures I can get it to start to go 3-D, and it feels like something's almost about to happen, but then it drops back to normal before I can ever seen the hidden picture. Which is exactly what it feels like when doing the "looking". Something feels like it's been poignantly "not-seen" for a moment, but before it deepens, the normal thinking and sensations flip back and take over again.
But does Sensation mean there's a dividing line? LOOK some more. Question your interpretation.
Been trying this periodically throughout the day, and it sometimes feels more ambiguous, and other times more distinct. But so far it has coincided with the softness of the chair blurring the sensations. I'll keep trying!
Have I shared this sort video with you? Take a look.

You did send that before, thanks. I've watched it 4 times now. A question I have about the technique of "looking" is, is it supposed to feel like we're turning our inner sight, our focus and attention, to the area? Or is it more "feeling" rather than "looking"? Is it that we're sensing the butt/chair area in a generalized cloud, like with low resolution, so to speak? If I keep my "visual" attention up in my head looking out, and just use bodily awareness of that area, then I feel a large tingling cloud that's much less distinct. But if attention zooms in like a spotlight, all the apparent distinctions reappear.
Keep doing these two & please do post every day until Thursday. After that, let me know if you want a couple of days break.
Will do! That sounds great, thanks!
Have a great night!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:54 am

Good morning
A question I have about the technique of "looking" is, is it supposed to feel like we're turning our inner sight, our focus and attention, to the area? Or is it more "feeling" rather than "looking"? Is it that we're sensing the butt/chair area in a generalized cloud, like with low resolution, so to speak? If I keep my "visual" attention up in my head looking out, and just use bodily awareness of that area, then I feel a large tingling cloud that's much less distinct. But if attention zooms in like a spotlight, all the apparent distinctions reappear.
That's a hard question to answer. Ideally, both should help you see thread no distinction- because there isn't one. Play with it. Be sure to be relaxed.
Have fun!

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:25 am

Hi Stacy,

Sam Harris’ daily meditation was perfectly in sync with these exercises today. He uses this technique occasionally, and it’s very similar to the hand-flipping pointer. I thought I'd share it to get your thoughts on it. In his, you touch your fingertips together and move them in small circles. You then see if you feel that you’re looking at the sensation from somewhere above, or rather if the sensation is just appearing in consciousness in its own place. And then he asks you to notice that how we move our fingers is a completely mysterious process. That we can start or stop it, but we have no idea how it’s done. And that we can maybe feel the intention to move them, but that still doesn’t answer it. And then ultimately, he says to “drop back and simply be that space in which these things are appearing. What is that like?” He often gives this pointer too, and it strikes me that it might be the sort of space you’re suggesting getting to with the ButtChair exercise. Does that seem right to you?

I’ve done this a couple of times today, and also tried the ButtChair more. I’ve had small little realizations, like that the sense of self arises attached with a thought. It’s not that it’s there observing the thought, but that it’s just a conjoined manifestation of it. And when the thought disappears, so does the attached "self", at least until the next thought pops up. And when I remember this later, there seems to be a gap of spaciousness that follows. Like a little relaxed slumping and letting-go. It has that feeling of "truth" that you've mentioned.
Play with it. Be sure to be relaxed.
I’ve been trying, thanks! It does seem like I’m often focusing very intently, which causes more tension and “selfing”. I have to remember to relax with it more often.

Thanks again, and have a great night!
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:35 am

Hi Todd,

Yes, I have Waking Up, also. Sam's pointer today is similar, yes. It's a good one.

Yes, "self" is nothing more than a story, a thought we believe. Notice this.

Relaxation is essential. You cannot see when stressed.

Keep having fun with these & keep posting daily, at least until Thursdsy.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:55 am

Good evening!

Oh cool, I wondered if you had Waking Up.
Yes, "self" is nothing more than a story, a thought we believe. Notice this.
I keep reminding myself of this, and trying to remember to look. Particularly when I catch stressed or anxious thoughts coming up.
Keep having fun with these & keep posting daily, at least until Thursday.
Will do, thanks!
Have a great night,
-Todd

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 am

Hi Stacy,
I haven't had much time for formal practice today, since it's the day before surgery.
But I have been using any nerves and future-thinking that come up as a reminder. Because as soon as they do, I feel the contraction and tension. So I immediately let go and observe the little bit of spaciousness that appears when I stop feeding that self belief and energy. It's only momentary, but it's a welcome reprieve.

Thanks very much for everything, and I'll reach back out as soon as I'm able!
Take care,
-Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:36 am

Okay, Todd.

Good luck with it all!

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:42 am

Hope all went well!

Stacy
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:02 am

Thank you so much, Stacy!
Thankfully it went well, as far as I know. 🙂 I really did sleep through the entire procedure.
In some pain now, but so far so good!
Thanks so much again, and hopefully I'll be in touch by tomorrow!
Have a great night!
Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Good. You, too.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi Stacy,
How have you been?
Sorry it's been so long since I've been in touch. I'm making good strides in my recovery, but it's taking a little longer than I'd anticipated.

Haven't really been in the right headspace to practice. Though the first night when I was lying awake all night in pain, I did listen to some non-duality talks that helped give a little bit of perspective and distance from the pain. And then the next morning I started with frequent cannabis, and between that and the tylenol, things started getting better.

I think I'm probably ready to start digging in again.
Thank you for your patience!
I hope you're well,
Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Hi Todd,

Pretty good here.

We want you to look at these pointers when you're not doing cannabis or pain medications, really. Not against them, in general, but no self can fully be seen without all of that. Medications & cannabis can both heighten & dull the senses we are asking you to focus on. Either way it changes things.

There's a thing called "state dependent learning," where things learned or seen in an altered state are different when sober & straight.

I realize you have a reason for them after surgery. Do you plan to stop those when you're all healed up?

You can use pointers when you are feeling pain.

You can do a variation of "Zooming In" and zoom in on the pain. I remember you found that challenging. See what comes up.

You can also go the other direction & look for the edge of thecpain, similar to "Where is 'I?'" LOOK for any boundary or edge to the Sensation of pain.

These are completely optional.

Loving,
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

vegansatori

Postby vegansatori » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:01 am

Hi Stacy!
Yeah, they prescribed hydrocodone for me, but I never took it because I'm scared of that stuff. Weed and Tylenol is plenty.

Yeah, once I'm all healed up probably won't be using the cannabis very often. Usually it's a rare thing, and I'm vaping pretty low amounts when I do.

On one hand, it does help highlight the disconnect between action and actor. It kind of becomes more obvious that there isn't a consistent personality from one state to another, or that I'm not controlling the body like it seems that I am.

But I get what you mean about the state dependent learning. It also tends to take away a lot of the motivation for doing this stuff in the first place.

Thankfully a lot of the pain is much better, but I will try using those pointers with the discomfort and pain that pops up. Thanks very much for them!

Have a great night!
Todd

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:42 am

You, too. Please keep me posted on what is coming up.

Good night!
~ Stacy

~ Rumi

Return to “THE GATE”