Curious to learn more

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Helene

Curious to learn more

Postby Helene » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:47 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
My understanding of this is that only our own mind exists and everything else is unknown .
Buddhist idea of no self could be seen as bizarre as it's a difficult concept to understand .
We exist but are forever changing , not permanent entities.
Our egos bring us security but also can distort our vision

What are you looking for at LU?
I'm looking for guidance to compliment my personal development .
I would like to gain more insight to allow me to grow as a person .
I hope to be guided to explore the differing beliefs and experience for myself , to investigate and explore my perceived values and beliefs

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
focused questioning allowing me to communicate my thoughts and experiences within a safe environment .
The ability to give constructive non threatening feedback throughout .
Presentation of new thoughts , beliefs as well as challenging to give accuracy to information shared.
Trust and integrity is important within guided communication .

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
My spiritual practice started in my teens , lots of dreams , dejavou like experiences .
This led to my interest in spirituality and everything that went with it .
I started to question what was life all about , and who really was the 'real me '.
What did I really believe in ? How had I taken my chosen career pathway , what were my core beliefs and where had they originated from .
As I've grown and developed I naturally stumbled across mindfulness both personally and within my career .
This practice has enhanced my life and that of others and the continual questioning of 'self' and emotional well being .

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?:

Bambaji

Re: Curious to learn more

Postby Bambaji » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello Helene - is it ok to call you Helene?

My name is Fran, and I am a guide here at LU. I would love to guide you if you are happy to have me. First of all, please have a look around the site and acclimatise yourself to how things work here. Go to the "Home" button at the top of this post and have a read of what LU is and is not.

These conversations, as you may have noticed, always take the form of an inquiry, where the guide asks a series of questions that all point to the realisation that there is no self (or that self is an illusion). You and I will simply have a conversation, a chat as between friends. I will tend to question existing beliefs but will not give new beliefs or 'teachings'. It is for you to 'take a look' at your experience.

Could you please agree to post at least once a day? I will try to do the same and will let you know if I am not able to.

If you feel ready to start then please consider this question:

What is your current understanding of what it is that 'you' are?

Warmest wishes

Fran

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Good evening Helene

It has been a few days since I answered your request for a guide and I have not heard from you. There are many requests and not so many guides, so I will now move on to work with someone who is available to look. Please do reapply when the time is right for you.

Go well

Fran

Helene

Postby Helene » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 am

Hello fran
Can I apologise for missing your post .
I was awaiting an e-mail to inform me that a guide was available .
Being new I didn't think that I needed to log in daily to await a notification :( so please accept my apologies .
I have requested support and hope that I can be matched up , but appreciate that there must be a lot of people requesting guidance .
Thank you again for responding , and sorry that I missed this oppotunity .
Regards
Helene

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello Helene

Just a note to let you know that I have received your post. I'll get back to you later today

Fran

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Helene

So, it was good to hear from you today, thank you for coming back to me. I am sorry that you didn't get an email to let you know that I had posted. There should be an options box on the screen that has a box you can tick which says "Notify me when a reply is posted" - make sure that is ticked.

If you are happy to have me I would love to guide you.

To recap: please have a look around the site and acclimatise yourself to how things work here. Go to the "Home" button at the top of this post and have a read of what LU is and is not. While we do this work together, please agree not to read/listen/watch other teachers/teachings. Your complete focus is requested. Could you please agree to post at least once a day? I will try to do the same and will let you know if I am not able to.

Let me know if this is ok with you and we can begin :)

Fran

Helene

Postby Helene » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 am

Hello fran
Thank you for getting back to me .
I'm very happy for you to guide me , and will ensure that I log on daily .
I have had a look around the site , may need a bit of time to get used to it .
Looking forward to hearing from you .
Helene

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Excellent :)

To begin: what is your current understanding of what it is that 'you' are?

Take a look and report back to me when you are ready

Fran

Helene

Postby Helene » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Hello fran
My understanding of 'self' is a combination of my physical body , self concept ...what I think I like or dislike
A sense of being alive , memories , desires ,experiences.
A thingy containing one brain and one body perhaps , that is for ever changing and reacting to its environment .
I think of self as running water , quite illusionary but real .
Helene

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi, thanks for your post
My understanding of 'self' is a combination of my physical body , self concept ...what I think I like or dislike
A thingy containing one brain and one body perhaps , that is for ever changing and reacting to its environment .
I think of self as running water , quite illusionary but real
So lots of separate bits coming together to make up the being known as 'Helene'?

Fran

Helene

Postby Helene » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 am

Morning Fran
I think it is but maybe I'm wrong :(
The bits and bobs that I assume as 'Helene ' are often in conflict with each other which can trigger an emotional response which appear to come from no where .
Is that environmental ? Or conditioned reaction ?
Hoping you have a pleasant day
Helene

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Helene
I think it is but maybe I'm wrong :(
There is no right or wrong in this, but there is a lot of looking and seeing what your Direct Experience is. There is a great deal of conditioning and a lifetime of habits to look at - brace yourself!!
I think of self as running water , quite illusionary but real
So, what comes up for you when I say there is no separate entity 'self' in real life at all?

Take a good look and report back to me.

When you click on "post a reply" you will a line of boxes come up under the subject header. If you click on "quote" it will bring up two boxes in your reply screen. You can copy and paste my question or comment between these two boxes and it will show up as a quote. Have a play with this and use the "preview" button at the bottom to see how it looks :)

I am travelling quite a bit tomorrow (Sunday) so may not be able to log on, but I will do my best to find a signal somewhere. Please post if you are able.

Have a good evening

Fran

Helene

Postby Helene » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi fran
Hoping that your day has been nice , and that you are not too exhausted from travelling .
I've had a little play , but don't seem to be able to get the quotes up..... not sure what I'm doing wrong .
I also tried to put my answers in a different coulured text .. but wasn't successful .. just quoting 'colortext '
Might need a bit of help here .

So, what comes up for you when I say there is no separate entity 'self' in real life at all?

I struggle with this a little I think :( has caused me some confusion .
As if that is the case , why do we allow such suffering and react to our beliefs of self in such a negative way .
For some this causes significant poor mental health , as the mind takes over creating our own distress and unhappiness.
When I think I've accepted this concept then an emotional reaction will hit me in the face .

Best wishes
Helene

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi, I've had a good day thanks
I've had a little play , but don't seem to be able to get the quotes up..... not sure what I'm doing wrong
I'll look at this when I get home tomorrow and send you some help....
I struggle with this a little I think :( has caused me some confusion
So confusion is coming up? Please look again and see if there is anything else?
As if that is the case , why do we allow such suffering and react to our beliefs of self in such a negative way.
Please look again and see if there is something to be experienced via your senses, rather than thinking about it and coming up with concepts and thoughts. Looking rather than thinking can be tricky to begin with, but using Direct Experience is a good way of discovering what is real. And it's a technique used a lot at LU.

Let me know how you get on. I can suggest some exercises if 'looking' is tricky to get a handle on :)

Go gently with it, have fun

Fran

Bambaji

Postby Bambaji » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Helene

Here's a link that shows how to use the quote function: http://liberationunleashed.com/nation/v ... ?f=4&t=660

Take care

Fran

Return to “ARCHIVES”