Just another seeker looking to find the truth

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
forgetmenot

Re: Just another seeker looking to find the truth

Postby forgetmenot » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Carter,

Lovely responses.
Is there a ‘self’ that can ‘make decisions’ or that can 'choose' anything?
There is no self. Forgive another jogging example, but here goes :) I am very clearly not a self and no one is present when out jogging. Just sensation and colour. Decisions are not made... I can feel as if I've chosen certain things, but only in thought, which I now understand these thoughts are just stories told to myself in the moment.They pass and I smile because I know I didn't choose. I'm not just saying this. I feel the truth of it.
Is there a ‘myself’ that is telling stories or are there only thoughts ABOUT a myself that is telling stories about a ‘me’?

Are thought, sensation, colour, sound, taste and smell ‘experienced’ by a ‘separate self’?
No. They are not experienced by a separate self. They are the substance of experiencing. But there is no past tense experienced. Only experiencing. And there is no separate self. Experiencing is of the seamless whole.
So ‘experiencing’ is a verb…which means that something has ‘experienced’ something else or is currently experiencing an experience. Is there ‘experiencing’ or simply experience itself? In other words are colour, smell, taste, thought, sensation and sound experiencing experience?
Is there a ‘self’ ‘in here’ which is separate from the world and others ‘out there’?
No. There is no self 'in here' separate to the others 'out there'. I am not separate from the world in any way. The world in direct experience is full of life and colour and cannot ever be separated from 'self.' Which is to say there is no self, only experiencing 'the world' as it happens. I know the trees, the sky, the manure, the birds, the laptop etc, are all a part of this experiencing formerly known as me :) The same applies to family, children, etc. I am one with them in experiencing. I have far fewer incidences of 'them and me' than ever before - examples? Traffic. Queueing. Shops. I don't mind the stuff that used to bother me, because I know those people are me too...
Experience is seemingly appearing as trees, sky, manure, bird, laptop, family, children but experience never becomes these ‘things’. Experience only knows itself as itself.
Is the ‘separate self’ anything other than an imaginary story?
The separate self can only be imaginary. In the present moment, I can look for self but don't find it. Whenever I look, I don't find self. There, I just tried again. No self. Which means self is not a permanent fixture as the 'world' would seem to have us believe. No. The self is a concept. Thought. Imaginary.
What is the AE of “the world”?
Is there any confusion at all or anything you would like to address?
Confusion, no... but I was going to say that I think that treating all 'strangers' as part of 'me' (please forgive the incorrect phraseology) would be a developmental area. Eg, it's happening and the 'imagined boundaries' are fading. But as I write this, I am also keenly aware that this is just a thought with no basis in reality! There are no boundaries, just thoughts of boundaries and none of it exists in actual experience. Even the 'fading' is imaginary because they were never there in the first place.
Lovely, Carter!
Funnily enough, a guy rang my doorbell a moment ago and interrupted me as I wrote these responses. Timely and useful, right? The visitor was a young offender, a man who came to sell me some wares as part of his community rehabilitation program. I listened to his rehearsed sales pitch and I then simply told him I didn't want to buy his stuff. Before this process I might have struggled with my answer, because I felt sorry for him, or because of a whole bunch of other possible thoughts. I might have felt guilty for not helping him. But actually, I simply said no. The man went his way and I wished him well. There was no sense of him/me interfering with the experience. Nor did I feel a need to compose an answer in a certain way. There was no guilt and no need for any guilt. There was no after-thought tailspin! It was a clean experience. It was AE!
Yes, life is simple when it is seen that there is no separate self that is doing anything…even the apparent ‘acting differently’. The above story is AE of thought. Experience itself is none of these stories, things, thoughts etc. Experience isn’t derived from people and things. People and things are derived from experience itself.

Let’s use gold as an analogy for experience itself (THIS) Gold SEEMS to appear in many forms, ie rings, ingots, bracelets, earrings, nuggets, necklaces, coins etc. Does the form make the gold or the gold is the form? In other words can a ring or bracelet etc appear on its own without the gold? Does the gold become something else just because it seems to appear as a ring, or a necklace or an ingot etc? Or does gold remains as gold no matter what it appears as?

Kay
Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
https://freedomalreadyis.com/

Carter

Postby Carter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Kay,
Is there a ‘myself’ that is telling stories or are there only thoughts ABOUT a myself that is telling stories about a ‘me’?
There are only thoughts about 'the myself'. Stories about self happening, that's all they are. They pass then thoughts of self are gone, showing the self is only a thought. They may return and go again. And I don't get to decide either way!
So ‘experiencing’ is a verb…which means that something has ‘experienced’ something else or is currently experiencing an experience. Is there ‘experiencing’ or simply experience itself? In other words are colour, smell, taste, thought, sensation and sound experiencing experience?
There is simply experience, present tense, all-there-is, seamlessness. They are not experiencing experience. Colour/sense/smell/taste/thought/sensation/sound (as one) are the experience.
What is the AE of “the world”?
AE of the world... is a concept, a theory, a thought. Experience is not that concept.
Let’s use gold as an analogy for experience itself (THIS) Gold SEEMS to appear in many forms, ie rings, ingots, bracelets, earrings, nuggets, necklaces, coins etc. Does the form make the gold or the gold is the form? In other words can a ring or bracelet etc appear on its own without the gold? Does the gold become something else just because it seems to appear as a ring, or a necklace or an ingot etc? Or does gold remains as gold no matter what it appears as?
The form does not make the gold. The gold is in the form and is the form. No ring or bracelet can appear without the gold. The gold stays as gold no matter what form it takes. Gold always remains as gold no matter what.
Okay, so gold remains gold no matter what form it takes. So raw experience remains as whole raw experience no matter what apparent form it takes within THIS. Just as the bracelet cannot 'be' without the gold, the person, tree, bird, car cannot and does not exist separately of THIS in any way. The forms seen are not separate from it. They are manifestations of it, and they are it, one and all. Everything is indivisible. Everything 'noticed' in AE is an expression of this AE, connected and indivisible from every other apparent form... and indivisible from the seeing too. Sorry for this ramble. Your gold analogy works better than my attempts to describe any of this!

Thanks,
Carter

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Hello Carter,
There is simply experience, present tense, all-there-is, seamlessness. They are not experiencing experience. Colour/sense/smell/taste/thought/sensation/sound (as one) are the experience.
There is no THE experience. Coloursmelltastethoughtsensationsound is experience itself. For something to be THE experience points to something experiencing something.

As soon as experience/THIS has been labelled it becomes divided. It becomes divided into 6 main categories: - sound AND smell AND thought AND colour AND taste AND sensation. If you take away the AND it is soundsmellthoughtcolourtastesensation which denotes that there is no division. However, the ‘thinking mind’ still sees even that as separate words pointing to experience having 6 different forms.
So let’s replace soundsmellthoughtcolourtastesensation with just X.
X = experience/THIS exactly as it is.

The form does not make the gold. The gold is in the form and is the form. No ring or bracelet can appear without the gold. The gold stays as gold no matter what form it takes. Gold always remains as gold no matter what.
Okay, so gold remains gold no matter what form it takes. So raw experience remains as whole raw experience no matter what apparent form it takes within THIS.
AS THIS…not within THIS. THIS is not a container of experiences. THIS and experience are synonymous.
Just as the bracelet cannot 'be' without the gold, the person, tree, bird, car cannot and does not exist separately of THIS in any way. The forms seen are not separate from it. They are manifestations of it, and they are it, one and all. Everything is indivisible. Everything 'noticed' in AE is an expression of this AE, connected and indivisible from every other apparent form... and indivisible from the seeing too. Sorry for this ramble. Your gold analogy works better than my attempts to describe any of this!
THIS (like gold) may appear as many ‘things’. The gold does not become things, it remains as gold and is only known as gold. It is thought that suggests the gold has BECOME something called a ring and tells the story about what the ring is, it’s purpose, its meaning etc. THIS/experience may SEEM to appear as many things…but it does not become any of those things, it only knows itself as itself. Every seeming ‘thing’ is ‘made of’ the same substance ie THIS, but those ‘things’ have no intrinsic characteristics of their own.

Is there colour AND content? Smell AND content? Sensation AND content? Thought AND content? Sound AND content? Taste AND content?

Kay

Carter

Postby Carter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Kay,
Is there colour AND content? Smell AND content? Sensation AND content? Thought AND content? Sound AND content? Taste AND content?
I'm interpreting 'content' as meaning a presumed dimension/aspect beyond what is immediately X. Eg, colour (part of x) and another aspect of colour being the content. No. There is not another aspect of colour aside from colour. There is only colour. The same for smell. The same for sensation. The same for thought. The same for taste. Any aspect which is not the 'colour' itself is a fiction, an idea, and not real. And as I say this, I acknowledge what you also said... knowing these 'elements' of experience are unified and never experienced apart. As you say, these are not separate. These are X. Complete and whole.

Confusion... you mentioned confusion before...here it comes :) sometimes I feel like a witness to X rather than just x. But as I write this now I know this reported thought is not real in the here/now. These thoughts are just a memory... A thought of a (fictional/back projected) past thought which therefore doesn't exist. The fact I can report a confusion about x as a memory thought which doesn't exist is also confusing! And right now, to be honest, I'm irritated with myself for writing such a convoluted pile of thought baloney. Pointless meandering nothing to do with X as it is in the here/now!

Lots of this stuff (I'm talking about my meanderings, so called confusions, temporary emotional thought blips, etc) seems like a waste of effort when direct experience seems so effortless without it!

Forgive my baloney, but I thought if I expressed it, it may help you with me in this process in some way.
If not, I'll refrain next time and keep it simple.

Thanks
Carter

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 am

Hello Carter,
I'm interpreting 'content' as meaning a presumed dimension/aspect beyond what is immediately X. Eg, colour (part of x) and another aspect of colour being the content. No. There is not another aspect of colour aside from colour. There is only colour. The same for smell. The same for sensation. The same for thought. The same for taste. Any aspect which is not the 'colour' itself is a fiction, an idea, and not real. And as I say this, I acknowledge what you also said... knowing these 'elements' of experience are unified and never experienced apart. As you say, these are not separate. These are X. Complete and whole.
Colour does not have any content. You don’t find a rainbow IN colour; colour does not contain content, just like thought doesn’t contain any actual experience Colour is THIS/experience itself which thought has divided into aspects/categories and labelled as colour.
Confusion... you mentioned confusion before...here it comes :) sometimes I feel like a witness to X rather than just x.

How do become X exactly and how would that feel? Is X an object? So what if you feel like a witness to X…what exactly is it that cares about that? The question is…can you find anything/anyone that is witnessing anything?

There has never been a separate self…so how do you become X? X is all there is and X is seemingly appearing as a story of Carterself. Can you find Carterself anywhere? Does X become the Carterself, or is X the appearance of every thing there is…but does it actually become those things? We looked at this with the gold analogy.

To put it another way...are you not aware of everything that is appearing, including the thoughts about what is appearing ie objects etc? If you take one step back...you are aware that was is appearing is actually colour or sound or thought etc. Take one step back again and you know that X is not divided into categories...so colour, sound, thought etc are simply X. This is a knowing...not an experience.
But as I write this now I know this reported thought is not real in the here/now. These thoughts are just a memory... A thought of a (fictional/back projected) past thought which therefore doesn't exist.
?? How can the thought not exist if you are aware of the thought the moment it is appearing? What the thought is pointing to is the fiction…but the thought itself is AE.

I think it might be a good time for you to back to the beginning of your thread and re-read it through thoroughly. If you feel inclined to redo any of the exercises…please do so. Rereading your thread will take several days…so please take your time and then report back what you find.

Kay

Carter

Postby Carter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Kay,

OK. I'll respond in a few days time.

Thanks
Carter

Carter

Postby Carter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 am

Hi Kay

I've re-read the thread and have done most of the exercises again.
How do become X exactly and how would that feel? Is X an object? So what if you feel like a witness to X…what exactly is it that cares about that? The question is…can you find anything/anyone that is witnessing anything?
You don't become X. X is all there is happening. No one cares about that once thought is seen through and as before there is no witness in AE.
I think it might be a good time for you to back to the beginning of your thread and re-read it through thoroughly. If you feel inclined to redo any of the exercises…please do so. Rereading your thread will take several days…so please take your time and then report back what you find.
What did I find?
I found no self. The feeling of self comes and goes but initially I felt this quite distinctly and it lasted a good long while. There is no self here typing. Typing is happening. Thought happens and can be believed or it can pass. I see that I had started believing in the noise of thought and at that time the thoughts weren't useful at all.

It was good to have a break. I enjoyed rediscovering the essential basics of this. (THIS!)

I admit I struggle with the linguistic expressions and nuances of this learning/unlearning but when I see through to the essence of this everything makes sense.

Thanks,
Carter

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello Carter,

Lovely to see you back :)
I've re-read the thread and have done most of the exercises again.
Nice job of rereading your thread and getting the clarity needed.
You don't become X. X is all there is happening. No one cares about that once thought is seen through and as before there is no witness in AE.
Lovely :)
What did I find?
I found no self. The feeling of self comes and goes but initially I felt this quite distinctly and it lasted a good long while. There is no self here typing. Typing is happening. Thought happens and can be believed or it can pass. I see that I had started believing in the noise of thought and at that time the thoughts weren't useful at all.
YES! How wonderful! And how did you feel when you saw this?
I admit I struggle with the linguistic expressions and nuances of this learning/unlearning but when I see through to the essence of this everything makes sense.
Beautiful!

Can you answer the following questions with some detail please, and answer what's true for you rather than any sort of 'ideal' answer. Also please provide examples where asked.

1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form?
Was there ever?

2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience.
Describe it fully as you see it now.

3) How does it feel to see this?
What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.

4) What was the last bit that pushed you over; made you look?

5) a) Describe decision, intention, free will, choice and control. What makes things happen? How does it work? Give examples from your own recent experiences to how things happen and how things work.

b) What are you responsible for? Give examples from your own recent experiences to how this works.

6) Anything to add?

Kay

Carter

Postby Carter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Kay,

Code: Select all

And how did you feel when you saw this?
Peaceful, free, clear. Thought happened but I was unburdened by it. It happened and passed. Things happened and that was it!
1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form?
Was there ever?
There is never a separate entity self - or a me or an I at all, in any way shape or form. There is none to be found. They exist in thought only.
2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience.
Describe it fully as you see it now.
The illusion of self is created in thought and exists only in thought. The self-concept was created by conditioning from childhood onwards and was started as a function of communication, probably used as a way to reward and affirm me as a child and help me form an identity. As young children, we experience things intimately and directly. We experience life as it is. But as we grow older, the identity we have been given and the language we learn and its structure seems to take precedence of importance over actual experience. This happens with the help of parents, family, culture, education, etc. Soon enough the thought of self becomes so prominent in our lives that we begin to live around the 'I' as a central idea. Thoughts with 'I' are repeated in the mind ad infinitum and affirmed by almost everyone and everything we come into contact with, which is what makes belief in the 'I' so very strong. Something which started out as a tool of language eventually commands a kind of belief system (in the I/me/self) which people seem to trust over their own direct experience.

We form a story of who our 'I' is, and what the thought-story I likes and dislikes, what it is good at and not good at... Why it suffers and why it deserves pity, success, whatever else thought says about it. The 'I' story becomes the prism through which we can end up viewing our existence. But all of it is just a thought, and at any time it cannot be any more than one thought, but it is a thought so well practised, it seems to convince us that it is real and the flow of 'T' thoughts seems to suggest a coherent and constant I. But the I only ever exists in thought, one thought at a time. And once it is known that the self is just a thought without any reality, it can also be seen that the content of all thought matters very little. Once that is seen- the genie cannot go back in the bottle. I/Me/Self is a thought, and just as the self is imaginary, the content of other thought is seen as imaginary too. There is freedom in that.
3) How does it feel to see this?
It is liberating. It has enabled the seeing of thoughts as all the same - their content is not real and so they are less burdensome. There is no burden. I feel lighter. Free-er. More joyful too.
What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.
I was seeking something - I'd reached an age where I wanted a way out of self-induced anxiety and the burden of self-induced stresses. My problems were being created and sustained by 'me', but I couldn't break the habit and didn't know how. Because of this dialogue, the I no longer exists for me, which means the power of the 'I' thought has been broken and am now experiencing the world in a more direct, fresh and free-ing way.
4) What was the last bit that pushed you over; made you look?
Revisiting a combination of all the exercises, re-reading my answers and re-reading the questions during a break from the dialogue revisited made me see what I had already seen. During the reading, at a certain point thought dropped away. It's power as the dominant mode of experience faded, and although thought happens it is no longer dominant.

5)
a) Describe decision, intention, free will, choice and control. What makes things happen? How does it work? Give examples from your own recent experiences to how things happen and how things work.
Decision is imaginary. It is a post-event claiming of the event as something chosen, or it is a thought about the future, an impossible one, a delusion. There is only now. Things have happened. Things may happen. We do not have the power to choose. It is the same with intention. Intention is the will to control - but truly we have no control. Choice is the same as decision. There is no choice at all. In the unfolding now there is no choice at all. Things happen. Nothing makes things happen, and we do not know things work, only that they do. Example: I am here typing this. Thought says I decided to come and do this, but where is the decision? It exists as a memory, a thought, and the content of thought is imaginary. The moment of decision is not found in AE. As below, decision, choice, control, intention all relate to the I story as a character with a past and a future. The I doesn't exist in AE and neither do these concepts.
b) What are you responsible for? Give examples from your own recent experiences to how this works.
I am responsible for nothing. I can be responsible for nothing. There is no I and there is no responsibility. These are only concepts... Breakfast was made. Breakfast has been eaten. Writing is happening. But I am not writing. No one is. Payments were required by the water company. The payments were arranged and taken care of.. It is all done and happening without any ownership. There is no one to be responsible for anything and nothing to be responsible for. Things happen as they do and the 'I' has no say in any of it.
6) Anything to add?
Communication about experience (X/This) can prove challenging, and we can get tripped up on the use of separation-type language (I, mine, them, etc) along the way, but I know it is still a useful tool of communication which is why it has been used here.

Thank you Kay for being so patient with me and putting in all this time with your guidance. I may not have always been showy about my gratitude, but I am genuinely grateful for all the time and effort you've put in.

Thanks,
Carter

Carter

Postby Carter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am

Sorry about the format error at the top of that post.

Thanks
Carter

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:23 am

Hey Carter,

Thank you for your responses. I am going to get other guides to have a look at the thread to ensure that I have covered everything and that my pointing has been clear. This may take a day or two. Sometimes, not always, the other guides may have further questions which I will bring to you.

If there are no further questions, I will let you know and you will then be invited to the LU FB groups.

Kay

Carter

Postby Carter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Okay Kay.

Thanks again.

All the best
Carter

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:54 am

Hi Carter,

Congratulations, and welcome through the Gateless Gate! There are no further questions for you. It has been a pleasure to explore the concept of the separate self with you and point the way. Thank you for being so open and willing to LOOK!

Keep an eye out for an email notification notifying you of a PM (private message) from the forum inviting you to join our aftercare groups on Facebook. If you don't receive an email notification, you can access your PM's from the forum once you have logged in. The PM also details other resources available to you. Your username will change from green to blue which indicates that you have had the realisation of there being no separate self.

You can contact me at any time if you have any questions etc, via the forums PM system, or via Facebook if you decide to join our groups there.

Love, Kay

Carter

Postby Carter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:41 am

Thank you Kay!

In thinking there is always momentary doubt but because of your help I am able to come back to AE :)

Thank you so much for being my guide.

Happy travels and much respect to you for what you do.

Love,
Carter x

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 pm

Hello Carter,

The yo-yoing, the seeming re-identification continues after the realisation. It is a phase we all go through. How long the phase lasts is different for everyone. Although the main belief of being a separate self has been seen through, there will still be other patterns and beliefs that need to be seen through. The paradox being that there is no "I" that is awakening and yet it seems like there is an ongoing process with the realisation. Whatever is happening in the dream is what is happening in the dream..but you are not IN the dream. You are able to watch everything that appears...therefore you cannot be that which comes and goes...you are that remains when everything else changes.

You would have received the PM inviting you to join LU's Facebook groups. If you take up that invitation, I will see you there.

Enjoy the journeyless journey! :)

Love, Kay

Return to “ARCHIVES”