Help me become free

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
adilerten

Re: Help me become free

Postby adilerten » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Adil,

Thank you for all your kind and wise guidance :-)

Here are my observations on the exercise:
What is it exactly that is choosing which hand to raise? Why that hand but not the other ?
The first time the decision was unconscious, it just happened.
Other times there would be a thought, arising out of nowhere, that would choose the hand.
Like "that one" - then lift.
Can you find a separate individual or anything that is doing the choosing?
No. The thought comes from nowhere.
What is it that is controlling the hand?
Thought seems to control the hand, but nothing controls the thought, it just arises from nowhere.
Can a ‘controller’ of any description be located?
There is no controller. Once thought arises there is the identification of thought with "me" so it appears that "I" choose, but the thought comes first and it comes out of nowhere. CRAZY!

Also, I can have a thought to lift the hand and not lift the hand, so it's not just the thought that causes it... There seems to be a movement that arises out of nowhere that enables the hand to lift, sometimes with a conscious thought and sometimes without it.
Can anything be found that makes the hand move?
Nothing can be found that makes the hand move.

The more I do it, it feels like a coming together of events that go beyond even my own thought and body that lead to the movement taking place at that moment, in that way. Like my hand is being moved.

It feels peaceful, like I'm just the puppet and I'm being moved :-)
How is the decision made?
There is some connection between a decision to move the hand and some movement that is already taking place. But maybe the decision is not really mine either, because it comes from nowhere.

The decision is made by the movement itself. It starts way before my hand moves, even when you wrote to me and told me to try it, and then I tried it, but before that you learned it, and you tried it.... so it is a movement that has started from beyond time and is just carried out and completed in the moment. Probably leading to other movement...

That is nutty.
Brilliant looking. Sure all is happening it self without a controller, anyone behind the wheel.
As you see there is no information about how decision is made.
Only becoming aware of the experience is there.
We can only know that it is happening. We can only say that there is only the experience.
There is only "what is"
And it is self aware ..
Rest is mind explanations which makes no difference if we know them or not. "Probably" is an uncertainity as we said before. So your words "The decision is made by the movement itself" is enough :) No need for further explanation :)

Thank you
Events happen, deeds are done, but there is no individual doer thereof."
Buddha

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Dear Paula,
Let's look at "labels" to settle things more..
I understand that you realized already how thought labels the experience..
But this also will be good for you to read and exercise..
Can you please read this wonderful article written by my dear Ilona and make the exercise told there and write what comes

http://markedeternal.blogspot.com/2012/05/labels.html

Thank you

Love Sent!
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Adil,

Thank you for the exercise. It came at the perfect time as I had just had a fight with my son.

When I wrote about my experience with I and me it was full of blame, judgment and contraction. My rage and anger escalated and I keep wanting to punish my son.

When I switched to describing the situation without I or me there was much more openness and flow. I saw the rage and anger but I also saw a person beside me, and noticed there were memories and old sadness and stories.

I also opened up and began to notice things other than my sensations around the anger and sadness. The fruit bowl, the colours, of the shadows.

Now there is a thought that I could do this when I am trapped in a negative emotion. Start to notice and drop the I and me labels. Right now there is a pressure in the belly and heart. There are tears. There is a girl singing. There is a hum of quiet in the house. There is the sensation of sitting on the couch. There are my fingers typing.

There is relief at letting go of the story and seeing how things unfold. I don’t own my son and I don’t control whether he is happy or not. I just live my life and try to be as spacious as I can.

I will continue dropping I and me for the rest of the day and see how it goes!!!

Lots of love,
Paula

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi Adil,

Thank you for the exercise. It came at the perfect time as I had just had a fight with my son.

When I wrote about my experience with I and me it was full of blame, judgment and contraction. My rage and anger escalated and I keep wanting to punish my son.

When I switched to describing the situation without I or me there was much more openness and flow. I saw the rage and anger but I also saw a person beside me, and noticed there were memories and old sadness and stories.

I also opened up and began to notice things other than my sensations around the anger and sadness. The fruit bowl, the colours, of the shadows.

Now there is a thought that I could do this when I am trapped in a negative emotion. Start to notice and drop the I and me labels. Right now there is a pressure in the belly and heart. There are tears. There is a girl singing. There is a hum of quiet in the house. There is the sensation of sitting on the couch. There are my fingers typing.

There is relief at letting go of the story and seeing how things unfold. I don’t own my son and I don’t control whether he is happy or not. I just live my life and try to be as spacious as I can.

I will continue dropping I and me for the rest of the day and see how it goes!!!

Lots of love,
Paula

All okay Paula.. Just go on being aware of all thought / resistance / sensation appearing and disappearing..

Let's look,

Yes without using the word "i" there is a recognition of experience flowing.
With the use there is contraction.
Very good looking.

It is not a part or our process but let's also look at "Fight with the son"
Fight with any idea (including son) is simply resistance.
Just look!
What does this resistance say ? What should it be any different ?
Should it be any different ? Why ? Because a thought say so ?
Look and go on being aware of all thoughts appearing

Right now there is a pressure in the belly and heart.
That's ok. Just focus on the sensation and turn it to an opportunity for another LOOKING,

Now look deeper in to that sensation..

What is that sensation without a label?
Now look behind, is there a feeler of sensation or there is only the sensation ?
Is there I that feels it?
While feeling, see if you can find the feeler?

Just look and write what comes..
Everything's gonna be all right.
;)
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:50 pm

Thank you for your insights, Adil! Looking helped me ease the tension with my son and things are much better today 😊

Resistance says that he should not be so disobedient. He should respect me and listen to me. It leads to me feeling sad because it’s like my childhood when I wasn’t listene d to or respected. More stories...

Like you say these are just thoughts. There was is only him saying no and it leads to a contraction and then a reaction against him that makes things worse. I will see if I can just look next time he gets upset, observe the reaction and let go of the thoughts before responding...

Right now there is a sensation of tightness and contraction in the belly, neck and shoulders. Also contraction in the chest around the heart.

There is no I that feels just the sensation happening. The feeler is the awareness of the feeling. It has no judgement about it. Just the feeling. The thoughts about it being bad or about me having to heal this or understand it are just thoughts.

Left alone it is just sensation.

There is a sense of sadness, and memories of childhood.

Behind the contraction around my heart there is space. Almost as if the space holds the contraction, and the more I notice the space the contraction shifts and changes.

As soon as thoughts of I or wanting to do something with the sensation come it gets harder. But if I just observet there is some flow and movement, some peace...

Lots of love,
Paula

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm

That's okay Paula,

Let's go on looking,

You saw that thought appears it self without any controller can you tell me what is not happening it self ?

Now Look back into the story of your life and find one important decision that you made. Could be anything.. Having a child, meeting your husband etc.

Then ask this- could you have made a different decision at given circumstances?

Was that the best and only way to proceed?

Was there any free will involved, as in could you choose independently of situation? Was it you that made a choice or situation made you take the only way possible?

Can you choose something that is not "right"?

Write what you notice doing this exercise. Then bring focus to here now. Can anything be different than what it already is?

How do you know that?

What is that made the choose to be here now? Does it make a difference if you think that you made the choise to be here or not?

Waiting for your answers..
Thank you
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:59 pm

You saw that thought appears it self without any controller can you tell me what is not happening it self ?
Everything is happening by itself, without a controller. Things are flowing. There are thought processes and actions, but it is as if they came from a far deeper place, and I just carry them out.
Now Look back into the story of your life and find one important decision that you made. Could be anything.. Having a child, meeting your husband etc.
Getting married.
For a long time I wanted to find the right person and get married and no matter how hard I tried it didn't happen. At some point I stopped trying so hard and met Michael. I got a book that helped me realize how I had been relating to men had been a problem, so I tried a new way. I think if I hadn't gotten that book at that time, we may not be married now.

Everything seemed to align itself so that getting married became possible. Given the circumstances, I could not have made a different decision.
That was the best and only way to proceed.
Was there any free will involved, as in could you choose independently of situation? Was it you that made a choice or situation made you take the only way possible?
I became aware of things I was doing that were blocking my ability to truly be with others. There was a lot of fear and I had to trust and live one day at a time so the fear didn't sabotage my efforts to have a good relationship.

The choice was to stop interfering with the flow of things and let life sort itself out.
I feel sad that my work is not fulfilling. It feels not "right" in a lot of ways. But in other ways, it is helping me find a way to tune in to myself and do important healing work. It is a peaceful job, and while I may not naturally have a great relationship with my colleagues, I am working on accepting them as they are and connecting with them as best as I can. So even though my ego doesn't think it is "right" work, I think it is perfect for where I need to be and what I need to learn right now. It is right.

So everything is right as it is. In this moment. Even my fight with my son showed me the ways that I try to control him so I can do differently next time. I needed to go through that to understand how my past is impacting my future, and the need to look beyond the fear and relate directly to what is happening.
Write what you notice doing this exercise. Then bring focus to here now. Can anything be different than what it already is?
I keep thinking I have choices but the more I look I notice that things are all happening as they need to happen. Nothing can be different than how it already is.
How do you know that?
If something is already happening, it is happening whether or not I want it to. So it is here. And then the next moment is here. If I try to force things they don't seem to work.

What I can do is look and pay attention to different things. Like right now I could pay attention to the sadness and fear and grief in my body. Or I can pay attention to my hands typing. Or I can listen to sounds. I can choose where to focus. This seems to be within my control. And what I choose to pay attention to may change the actions in the future. Like this morning I chose to look at my daughter and respond to her instead of getting mad, and it made a difference.
What is that made the choose to be here now? Does it make a difference if you think that you made the choise to be here or not?
I was thinking of going to yoga at lunch today, and then I chose not to. I did my observation exercise and decided to come back to the office. So I am here now. I am thinking of taking a break, but not sure when. I am starting to think that I will be guided to when and if the right time will be for a break. I don't have to think about it, the right time will come when it comes and it does not make a difference what I choose.

Maybe even with my daughter, I did not really choose to respond. Enough other things had happened that led to that. I learned from my fight with my son. I read something about the importance of connecting with children when they act up. So all these things came together for me to act in the way that I did.

So I see now how things just happen. We are in a path of development and growth, and we grow on our own time in our own way, like flowers. Not much for us to do but watch. If I stay in looking mode I am automatically more peaceful and loving and calm, so just notice looking, let go of thinking, maybe that is one thing we do.

Do we choose to look? Or does it just happen?

I think even this just happens. Because there are times when I tell myself I will look and get distracted in thought. Other times when I am able to look.

Even the choice to look, to rest in awareness, is not really a choice. It is all happening on its own, no doer.

Lots of love,
Paula

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Everything is happening by itself, without a controller. Things are flowing. There are thought processes and actions, but it is as if they came from a far deeper place, and I just carry them out.
Getting married.
For a long time I wanted to find the right person and get married and no matter how hard I tried it didn't happen. At some point I stopped trying so hard and met Michael. I got a book that helped me realize how I had been relating to men had been a problem, so I tried a new way. I think if I hadn't gotten that book at that time, we may not be married now.

Everything seemed to align itself so that getting married became possible. Given the circumstances, I could not have made a different decision.
That was the best and only way to proceed.
I became aware of things I was doing that were blocking my ability to truly be with others. There was a lot of fear and I had to trust and live one day at a time so the fear didn't sabotage my efforts to have a good relationship.

The choice was to stop interfering with the flow of things and let life sort itself out.
I feel sad that my work is not fulfilling. It feels not "right" in a lot of ways. But in other ways, it is helping me find a way to tune in to myself and do important healing work. It is a peaceful job, and while I may not naturally have a great relationship with my colleagues, I am working on accepting them as they are and connecting with them as best as I can. So even though my ego doesn't think it is "right" work, I think it is perfect for where I need to be and what I need to learn right now. It is right.

So everything is right as it is. In this moment. Even my fight with my son showed me the ways that I try to control him so I can do differently next time. I needed to go through that to understand how my past is impacting my future, and the need to look beyond the fear and relate directly to what is happening.
I keep thinking I have choices but the more I look I notice that things are all happening as they need to happen. Nothing can be different than how it already is.
How do you know that?
If something is already happening, it is happening whether or not I want it to. So it is here. And then the next moment is here. If I try to force things they don't seem to work.

What I can do is look and pay attention to different things. Like right now I could pay attention to the sadness and fear and grief in my body. Or I can pay attention to my hands typing. Or I can listen to sounds. I can choose where to focus. This seems to be within my control. And what I choose to pay attention to may change the actions in the future. Like this morning I chose to look at my daughter and respond to her instead of getting mad, and it made a difference.
I was thinking of going to yoga at lunch today, and then I chose not to. I did my observation exercise and decided to come back to the office. So I am here now. I am thinking of taking a break, but not sure when. I am starting to think that I will be guided to when and if the right time will be for a break. I don't have to think about it, the right time will come when it comes and it does not make a difference what I choose.

Maybe even with my daughter, I did not really choose to respond. Enough other things had happened that led to that. I learned from my fight with my son. I read something about the importance of connecting with children when they act up. So all these things came together for me to act in the way that I did.

So I see now how things just happen. We are in a path of development and growth, and we grow on our own time in our own way, like flowers. Not much for us to do but watch. If I stay in looking mode I am automatically more peaceful and loving and calm, so just notice looking, let go of thinking, maybe that is one thing we do.

Do we choose to look? Or does it just happen?

I think even this just happens. Because there are times when I tell myself I will look and get distracted in thought. Other times when I am able to look.

Even the choice to look, to rest in awareness, is not really a choice. It is all happening on its own, no doer.

Lots of love,
Paula
Brilliant looking.
Thank you. Also sampling the exercise with your own story makes it more powerful for you.
I see that you see clearly that "you" have no choices or decisions.
Choices and decisions appear and they are followed or not.
No controller no doer o any kind.

As my signature quoted from "Buddha" below
"Events happen deeds are done but there is no individual doer thereof"
Beautiful..

Let's look to the idea of body now..
Buddha

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Dear Paula

Now take your time and sit with eyes closed for about 15 minutes.
Paying attention only to the pure sensations, without relying on thoughts or mental images

Look:

Can it be known how tall the body is? Does the body have a weight or volume? In the actual experience does the body have a shape or a form?

Is there a boundary between the body and the clothing? Is there a boundary between the body and the chair?

Is there an inside or an outside? If there is an inside - the inside of what exactly?

If there is an outside - the outside of what exactly?

What does the word/label ‘body’ ACTUALLY refer to? What is the ACTUAL experience of the body?

Look very carefully, especially with the last question. Take your time, don’t rush

You can look several times during the day while doing other things (like washng hands, showering, having a short break from work, walking, etc) before replying.
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Adil,

I hope you are having a great day!

Here are my answers:
Can it be known how tall the body is? Does the body have a weight or volume? In the actual experience does the body have a shape or a form?
I notice a general density that is around the area that I think to be my body, but the sensation is higher and wider than the actual look of my body. The shape and form of my body changes constantly, and there are areas that are very dense and connected with strong emotion (anger, sadness). I cannot feel my body as a whole as an unchanging thing. I notice the various areas and there is a sense of pulsation and varying levels of density and movement.
Is there a boundary between the body and the clothing? Is there a boundary between the body and the chair?
When I tune in to the sensation between the body and the clothing any separation dissolves. There is no boundary.

With the chair, I feel a sensation of heaviness below my body, a place of rest, but I cannot pinpoint an actual boundary or specific point of separation between the body and the chair.

Is there an inside or an outside? If there is an inside - the inside of what exactly?

No inside or outside. I can feel right through my body in certain parts. In others there is something dense that is blocking, but it moves within or without with no boundary other than the edges of the dense sensation, which also change.

If there is an outside - the outside of what exactly?

That's crazy, there is no outside. There wouldn't be an outside of something as the body keeps changing.

What does the word/label ‘body’ ACTUALLY refer to? What is the ACTUAL experience of the body?

The label "body" refers to a bundle of sensations and a density that keeps changing but somehow looks a particular way at one level, but when looked at deeply dissolves. I see my hands and I see the colours, and the veins, and the wrinkles, but when I feel my hand I feel space. If I touch my fingers together I feel the sensation of touch. The actual experience of the body is sensation - changing and moving.

What seems to keep it dense and tight is some sort of contraction or fear, but when this is looked at it also changes slightly. Certain patterns look very heavy and solid and don't change much. When looked at deeply they bring up emotion.

The body is also a storehouse for memories and emotion, that look like balls of density with changing texture, colour, density, form and movement.

Much metta,
Paula

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you Paula for your focused looking.

Let's look deeper

A sensation is not a body
A thought is not a body
A image is not a body
A sound is not a body
A smell is not a body
A taste is not a body

There is NO BODY! Period.

What thought labels as a ‘body’ is actually the presence of sensation, image/colour and thought.

Does the label/word (thought) ‘body’ know anything about a body?
Does sensation know anything about a body?
Does colour know anything about a body?
Does sound know anything about a body?
Does taste know anything about a body?
Does smell know anything about a body?

The body is also a storehouse for memories and emotion
How do you know this ?
What is it more than a thought saying "these memories are stored in the body" ?
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm

The label thinks it knows the body, but when the body is looked at it is not as per the label.
Sensation does not know anything about a body.
Colour does not know anything about a body.
Sound does not know anything about a body.
Taste does not know anything about a body.
Smell does not know anything about a body.
How do you know this ?
Yes this is a thought. I don't know that the memories are stored in the body. I just feel sensation and thought when I look for the body, but there is nothing that I can see that shows they are in the body.

There are so many emotions and fears flooding me these days. They come and they are full of thought and sensation. I have been looking deeper. They are trying to protect "me" because in the past there was a thought that I was harmed. When I look beneath I see memories of being hurt as a child, and the word "worthless". But this is not true, even the word and the vulnerability are not true.

As I go deeper than the fear and anger I see feelings of not being loved, which also disappear when I really look because I see that there is no I to love, there is only spaciousness which is like love itself. Those who hurt me in the past were not doing so because I was worthless, but because of their own fears and frustrations. It had nothing to do with me. Now that I am bigger, I can ensure that I am not abused by speaking up and asking for what I need, and taking the time I need to do things. So I don't need to be scared anymore. I can look instead, even at the fear when it shows up.

It is not in the body, I can see through it and let it go. Even if the contraction and sensation stays, I can continue to look and remind myself that there is nothing to protect.

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:54 pm

The label thinks it knows the body, but when the body is looked at it is not as per the label.
Sensation does not know anything about a body.
Colour does not know anything about a body.
Sound does not know anything about a body.
Taste does not know anything about a body.
Smell does not know anything about a body.
How do you know this ?
Yes this is a thought. I don't know that the memories are stored in the body. I just feel sensation and thought when I look for the body, but there is nothing that I can see that shows they are in the body.

There are so many emotions and fears flooding me these days. They come and they are full of thought and sensation. I have been looking deeper. They are trying to protect "me" because in the past there was a thought that I was harmed. When I look beneath I see memories of being hurt as a child, and the word "worthless". But this is not true, even the word and the vulnerability are not true.

As I go deeper than the fear and anger I see feelings of not being loved, which also disappear when I really look because I see that there is no I to love, there is only spaciousness which is like love itself. Those who hurt me in the past were not doing so because I was worthless, but because of their own fears and frustrations. It had nothing to do with me. Now that I am bigger, I can ensure that I am not abused by speaking up and asking for what I need, and taking the time I need to do things. So I don't need to be scared anymore. I can look instead, even at the fear when it shows up.

It is not in the body, I can see through it and let it go. Even if the contraction and sensation stays, I can continue to look and remind myself that there is nothing to protect.
Very good looking Paula. I
Also very good looking to the sensations and thoughts called memory.
We will now be looking to memory and time..

(After internalizing that there is no separate self i will offer some deep looking sessions for these emotions and memories if you would like to go deeper. That is later. )

Sending love
Buddha

adilerten

Postby adilerten » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:58 pm

Let's go on looking at memory Paula,

Is the "you" in your memory yourself, or a memory of you, which is not yourself?
What are you, when you don't think about what you are?

There is a belief that a memory thought is referring to something that has happened.
That memory thought is a different thought than a non-memory thought.

Please don’t go to thought explanations, but just let a memory be there, and look at it. Look at what is actually going on and not what thoughts say - but what actually is.

What is memory exactly? What is the memory ‘made of’? WHEN does the memory appear?

What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘memory’ thought?
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘memory’ thought refers to something that has happened?

Then, look at a thought about the future. What is the future thought ‘made of’?
WHEN does the future thought appear? ,What is the exact difference between a ‘general’
thought and a ‘future’ thought? How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘future’ thought refers to something that will happen?

Then let’s compare a thought about past and a thought about the future.
What is the EXACT difference between the thoughts about past and future?
If there is difference and how is that difference is known exactly?
Buddha

BeHereNow

Postby BeHereNow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Adil,

I am really amazed by this process. After years of meditating I still couldn't see things so clearly as I'm starting to through these exercises! Thank you!
What is memory exactly? What is the memory ‘made of’? WHEN does the memory appear?
The memory is thought. Like all other thoughts, they appear from nowhere. There is another thought that this happened in the past, and more thoughts about the meaning of what happened and what it said about me and my worth, and what it said about others and their faults and mistakes. They are all thought in the present moment, the whole thing is thought. Arising from nowhere.
What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘memory’ thought?
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘memory’ thought refers to something that has happened?
A "memory" thought seems to come with another thought that "this is real" and "this happened to me". But they are all thoughts! I can't look to the actual time when this happened, I can only notice the thought ("image") with another thought ("this happened in the past") and another thought "this was good / bad and it meant something...")
Then, look at a thought about the future. What is the future thought ‘made of’?
Thoughts and sensations. That's it. All happening in the present moment.
WHEN does the future thought appear? ,What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘future’ thought? How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘future’ thought refers to something that will happen?
"Future" thoughts sometimes arise with contraction / fear when they are negative. Sometimes a very clear future thought will arise out of nowhere and tends to have some clarity / intuition involved. All are thoughts, and nothing in the thought predicts what will actually happen. It is impossible.
Then let’s compare a thought about past and a thought about the future.
What is the EXACT difference between the thoughts about past and future?
If there is difference and how is that difference is known exactly?
Thoughts about past and future are exactly the same. They arise out of nowhere, tend to link with a number of other sensations or thoughts including a thought that says this was true in the past or this will happen in the future. They are just thoughts, and thoughts are appearances that come from nowhere and go to nowhere. I can look at the thought as thought and allow it to move through, whether it is a memory or a thought about the future, or a thought about the present. Just thoughts. Not true.

Return to “ARCHIVES”