Clearing

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Alexa

Clearing

Postby Alexa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 am

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
This ‘self’ I call Alexa is just a name, but it doesn’t have an actual existence outside of ‘this’.

What are you looking for at LU?
There is an overwhelming feeling of getting lost in doubt. I feel like I’m not limited to this body and I’m everywhere, but there is some pattern of thoughts that take me away to the old ‘person’ I used to identify with. I think I’m still cought up in the stories and feel cornered at times.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
A clearing up, direct questions...I don’t know if the questions I’m asking are being effective. Questions that can point me in the way of uncovering the doubts. Where is this ‘I’ that I keep referring to? I can’t find it but there is a sense of it being there. I need guidance in answering these questions lol.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
My ‘journey’ started less than 2 years ago and ever since then, I have been asking questions non-stop, ‘meditating’ all day long, even during sleep. There is a strong pull from somewhere where I HAVE to inquire and ask questions about the experiences I have.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self? 11

Anastacia42

Re: Clearing

Postby Anastacia42 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi Alexa,

My name is Stacy and I can be your guide if you would like.

Shall I call you, "Alexa?" Also, what time zone and country are you in, please?

There are a few things I'd like for you to read. This will probably be the longest post you have to read. The rest will be exercises in LOOKING and DOING.

This was written by one of the clients soon after they saw no self. It is a good description. Please read it carefully.

"To see This, first, you must be 100% committed to seeing it. It can’t be a nice idea, an intellectual curiosity. You have got to pursue this as if you have no other choice.

Second, you must be open with a willingness to set aside your current beliefs about how things are and engage in rigorous inquiry. No-one can give this to you.

Your beliefs might rush in saying, “Yeah, but…”, “OK, but what about…?”, “I was taught that…”, “My other teacher or the book I read said…” All this must be pushed aside and sometimes quite aggressively.

Third, you must engage in active listening. Listen carefully to the words your guide is using. Be sure you are clear on the context within which the words are being used. Sometimes, when you review what was asked or said, you realize that what you thought you heard versus what was actually said are two different things.

Fourth, this ties in with number 2… practical application… You can’t just sit and ponder, you must apply the ideas to your life; see them in action. Do the work.

Fifth, be 100% honest with your guide and with yourself. You can’t cheat your way through this. Wherever you are in your understanding or lack thereof is fine, but your guide can’t help you if you are withholding. Withholding is unfair both to the guide and yourself.

I think that this was probably the greatest battle I’ve ever had with my mind, my character, but when the truth is seen, it is seen and can never be unseen.

This here, now is all there is. Transitory appearances emerge, exist, and disappear. One movement; everything happening at once; a symphony! Anything other than This, Here, Now is a story. It truly is liberation, for no-one."

If you haven't already read the Disclaimer, please read it now and just confirm to me that you have read it. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

Also please read “Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Some housekeeping guidelines:

1. Post at least once a day, or every second day. If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know please.

2. There is no one judging answers given, so please be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on Actual (or Direct) Experience (AE or DE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, color and observed thoughts - only. Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done, it will save time in the long run! (The site has gone down before and we don't want you to lose your work.)

To begin with, so that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration. In your own words (not from actual experience, but just honest answers), could you please answer the 4 following questions:

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing?

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer all questions that I have written in blue text. Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the Quote function to highlight the question being answered. Instructions on how to use the Quote function are in a post at the top of the Gate Forum.

Let me know if you would like to proceed.

Welcome!
~ Stacy

"Not to know there is an alternative to being lost
in thought is to be a kind of prisoner."

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 am

Hi Stacy,

Nice to meet you!

Yes you can call me Alexa :-)

My time zone is Eastern and I have read the disclaimer and al of the guidelines and expectations. I hope I’m using the ‘reply’ correctly, please let me know if I’m doing it wrong.

Here are my answers to your questions, with honesty:

How will life change?
“I really don’t know. I have realized that expecting things is a waste of time. I feel like whatever happens happens.

How will you change?
“I think I will relate, feel and think from my true nature insttof pretending to be ‘Alexa’.

What will be different?
“Taking things personally wont be there”

What is missing?
“There is a sense that I need some kind of re-learning of life.

Looking forward to working with you, Stacy!!

Hi Alexa,

My name is Stacy and I can be your guide if you would like.

Shall I call you, "Alexa?" Also, what time zone and country are you in, please?

There are a few things I'd like for you to read. This will probably be the longest post you have to read. The rest will be exercises in LOOKING and DOING.

This was written by one of the clients soon after they saw no self. It is a good description. Please read it carefully.

"To see This, first, you must be 100% committed to seeing it. It can’t be a nice idea, an intellectual curiosity. You have got to pursue this as if you have no other choice.

Second, you must be open with a willingness to set aside your current beliefs about how things are and engage in rigorous inquiry. No-one can give this to you.

Your beliefs might rush in saying, “Yeah, but…”, “OK, but what about…?”, “I was taught that…”, “My other teacher or the book I read said…” All this must be pushed aside and sometimes quite aggressively.

Third, you must engage in active listening. Listen carefully to the words your guide is using. Be sure you are clear on the context within which the words are being used. Sometimes, when you review what was asked or said, you realize that what you thought you heard versus what was actually said are two different things.

Fourth, this ties in with number 2… practical application… You can’t just sit and ponder, you must apply the ideas to your life; see them in action. Do the work.

Fifth, be 100% honest with your guide and with yourself. You can’t cheat your way through this. Wherever you are in your understanding or lack thereof is fine, but your guide can’t help you if you are withholding. Withholding is unfair both to the guide and yourself.

I think that this was probably the greatest battle I’ve ever had with my mind, my character, but when the truth is seen, it is seen and can never be unseen.

This here, now is all there is. Transitory appearances emerge, exist, and disappear. One movement; everything happening at once; a symphony! Anything other than This, Here, Now is a story. It truly is liberation, for no-one."

If you haven't already read the Disclaimer, please read it now and just confirm to me that you have read it. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

Also please read “Liberation Unleashed is not …” in the FAQ’s of LU. Here is the link.

http://liberationunleashed.com/about/faq/#faq-1041

Some housekeeping guidelines:

1. Post at least once a day, or every second day. If you need more time, or are unable to post for several days, just write a quick post on your thread to let me know please.

2. There is no one judging answers given, so please be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.

3. This exploration is based on Actual (or Direct) Experience (AE or DE) - smell, taste, sound, sensation, color and observed thoughts - only. Long-winded analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress. This is not a self-improvement process. There is no ‘self’ to improve.

4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies, rituals, practices, books/reading and so on for the remainder of this investigation. Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily meditation practice, it is fine to continue that but is not necessary for this exploration.

Technology is not perfect and sometimes there is a glitch which can wipe out your responses. It is advisable that you copy and paste questions asked into Word, answer them there and then copy and paste them to your thread. Always save a copy of what you have done, it will save time in the long run! (The site has gone down before and we don't want you to lose your work.)

To begin with, so that we both become aware of what your expectations are about this exploration. In your own words (not from actual experience, but just honest answers), could you please answer the 4 following questions:

How will life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?
What is missing?

Throughout this exploration I would like you to answer all questions that I have written in blue text. Please answer questions individually, remembering to use the Quote function to highlight the question being answered. Instructions on how to use the Quote function are in a post at the top of the Gate Forum.

Let me know if you would like to proceed.

Welcome!

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 am

Hi Alexa,

Very good. This is a good start.

On the quotes, just quote the one question then your answer below it, like this, (except that I will quote your answers, with my questions below) please:
What is missing?
Good, your expectations are pretty reasonable. Others may come up and there's not much to be done about them except to notice them.

What comes up when is read that there is no "self," no "you," and there never has been? That the "you" that has been believed in and acted upon is nothing but a story, a fairy tale, a myth?

In your reply, just quote the question and then outside of the quote box give your answer below.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Alexa,

Very good. This is a good start.

On the quotes, just quote the one question then your answer below it, like this, (except that I will quote your answers, with my questions below) please:
What is missing?
Good, your expectations are pretty reasonable. Others may come up and there's not much to be done about them except to notice them.

What comes up when is read that there is no "self," no "you," and there never has been? That the "you" that has been believed in and acted upon is nothing but a story, a fairy tale, a myth?

What comes up is two things: as a metaphor - there is a sense of grasping something in a dark room, but I can’t touch or grab anything. The second thing that comes up is ‘of course there is no you...there has never been a you’. As I’m typing this, I can hear thoughts saying, “this doesn’t anything, what if you’re wrong”.

In your reply, just quote the question and then outside of the quote box give your answer below.

Much love,

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi,

On the quoting, please don't quote big huge chunks like that. Quote the one thing that you're answering. Put the answer beneath it, then space and quote the next thing.

Like this:
Question being answered.
Answer below it.
Next question being answered.
Next answer below it.

Etc

Thanks.

Now I'll go back and look for your answer in that large quote.
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Okay, found your answer at the bottom.

Please don't quote everything. Do it in pieces like my example above.

You replied:
What comes up is two things: as a metaphor - there is a sense of grasping something in a dark room, but I can’t touch or grab anything. The second thing that comes up is ‘of course there is no you...there has never been a you’. As I’m typing this, I can hear thoughts saying, “this doesn’t anything, what if you’re wrong”.
This is true. It sounds very much as if you are seeing that there is no self. Thoughts will continue to say things that aren't believable. You're exactly right. That is only the content of thought. It is a made-up story.

So, Alexa, below are what we call final questions. They're a way to look and see what else might need to be looked at.

Quoting them one at a time, in small chunks that are easy to read, with your answers in the space below each separate small quote, please answer the following:

1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form? Was there ever?

2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience. Describe it fully as you see it now.

3) How does it feel to see this? What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.

4) What was the last bit that pushed you over, made you look?

5) Describe decision, intention, free will, choice and control. What makes things happen? How does it work? What are you responsible for? Give examples from experience.

Be sure to describe each one and don't skip any.

Give an example for each one from experience.

6) Anything to add?

Then we'll look at anywhere you may not be clear.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Okay, found your answer at the bottom.

Please don't quote everything. Do it in pieces like my example above.
I’m sorry about that. I hope I did it correctly this time. If not, you can call me an ‘idiot’ hahaha.
You replied:
This is true. It sounds very much as if you are seeing that there is no self. Thoughts will continue to say things that aren't believable. You're exactly right. That is only the content of thought. It is a made-up story.

So, Alexa, below are what we call final questions. They're a way to look and see what else might need to be looked at.

Quoting them one at a time, in small chunks that are easy to read, with your answers in the space below each separate small quote, please answer the following:

1) Is there a separate entity 'self', 'me' 'I', at all, anywhere, in any way, shape or form? Was there ever?
When I look, an image my face and my body come up. But I immediately remember those things are not me, but an appearance in something.

2) Explain in detail what the illusion of separate self is, when it starts and how it works from your own experience. Describe it fully as you see it now.

The illusion of separate self starts when I start labeling a moment where I don’t like what’s happening, as if that something is happening TO someone, then I begin to feel like a victim. But shortly after I remember the truth, there is no one here to do anything.

3) How does it feel to see this?

It feels foreign and empty. Sometimes there is a sense ‘is this really it?’ ‘Too good to be true’.

What is the difference from before you started this dialogue? Please report from the past few days.

The difference before this dialogue is that I feel comfort knowing I’m speaking with you, and I can get confirmation that what I really am is empty.

4) What was the last bit that pushed you over, made you look?

What made me look was when I couldn’t take the pain and suffering anymore.

I realized that no matter what I wanted, was irrelevant. And that there is something, an intelligence that was allowing things to be.

5) Describe decision, intention, free will, choice and control.

I feel there is no one that decides, no one that intends to do anything and no free will - there is a sense that I have free will but it’s not true- just a sense.

What makes things happen? How does it work?

Nothing makes things happen, they just happen. There is no one that circulates the blood, beat the heart, hear, see or think. They just happen without a ‘me’

What are you responsible for? Give examples from experience.

Besides the necessary practical aspects of life, such as taking care of my kids and husband, even ‘I’m’ not responsible...how could I be, if there is no one here?’. I feel that without a ‘me’, this is just this. I’m IT. I’m not limited to this body but yet I’m everywhere. No one here, just this. No such thing as responsibility.

Be sure to describe each one and don't skip any.

Give an example for each one from experience.

6) Anything to add?

Then we'll look at anywhere you may not be clear.

Much love,

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi Alexa,

No, you're not an idiot.

But you quoted the whole thing again. It's hard for me to read & find your answers.

In order to do it correctly, you're going to copy the one single question that you're answering and put it in quotes. Then outside of that quote underneath it you answer the question. There is no color behind that. No quoting of your answer.

Then you copy the next question you're going to answer and quote it. It ends up in an orange Box by itself - only that question and nothing else.

You keep going and you end up with a few separate orange boxes with white space between them that contain your answers.

I don't need to re-read what I wrote. I wrote it. But I do need to know which question you're answering. And that's all. So you only quote one question at a time and put the answer beneath it. So instead of one long quote, you end up with a few separate ones.

Look back at my example a couple of posts ago. In the meantime, I'm going to look at what you wrote.

Sorry if it is confusing, but it would really be helpful if you could get this.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Alexa,

No, you're not an idiot.

But you quoted the whole thing again. It's hard for me to read & find your answers.
I’m so sorry!! Like this?
In order to do it correctly, you're going to copy the one single question that you're answering and put it in quotes. Then outside of that quote underneath it you answer the question. There is no color behind that. No quoting of your answer.

Then you copy the next question you're going to answer and quote it. It ends up in an orange Box by itself - only that question and nothing else.

You keep going and you end up with a few separate orange boxes with white space between them that contain your answers.

I don't need to re-read what I wrote. I wrote it. But I do need to know which question you're answering. And that's all. So you only quote one question at a time and put the answer beneath it. So instead of one long quote, you end up with a few separate ones.

Look back at my example a couple of posts ago. In the meantime, I'm going to look at what you wrote.

Sorry if it is confusing, but it would really be helpful if you could get this.

Much love,

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Alexa,

This is great. Your answers help me to see where you are. Let's look at them.

When I look, an image my face and my body come up. But I immediately remember those things are not me, but an appearance in something.
On this one, I understand your answer and it's good; however, you didn't ever say "yes" or "no." When you answer a question that is asking for a yes or no answer, please give a yes or no, first and then your explanation.

The illusion of separate self starts when I start labeling a moment where I don’t like what’s happening, as if that something is happening TO someone, then I begin to feel like a victim. But shortly after I remember the truth, there is no one here to do anything.
That is the most beautiful answer I have seen yet to this question. It is deeper than what most people say. Most of the time people talk about how our parents taught us to label things & and taught us that we were separate. And this is true, but you went much deeper with noticing that when we are feeling like victims,, we label and that we cannot feel like victims when we see the truth. That's beautiful.
It feels foreign and empty. Sometimes there is a sense ‘is this really it?’ ‘Too good to be true’.
That is perfectly normal for it to feel foreign and empty. And the other two statements are about your doubts. Hopefully, the dialog here will help you with that.

Yes, this dialogue should offer you comfort and confirmation. Which is not to say that it will always feel comfortable. :-) When we are finished, you will be invited to Aftercare groups on Facebook where you can meet others who see no self and discuss things.
Yes, that is how a lot of us get here.

The rest of it is very well described. That's exactly how it is experienced. No one here to do anything. No one to be responsible. No decision, intention, or free will. Only a story about free will. Here we call it the "content of thought." Thoughts arise, but the content of thought cannot be believed. It's made up.

You skipped "choice" and "control." Could you just describe those, please? And give examples.

You are clearly seeing that there is no self.

Questions and doubts and clearing out corners that we haven't looked at before will continue to occur, maybe for some time, even years. You have the clarity from which you can do this.

You know, don't worry about the quoting. I'm able to find your answers. No problem.

I am going to show your answers to the senior guides and see what they say about any clarifications that you might need, but overall you've got it.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi Alexa,

This is great. Your answers help me to see where you are. Let's look at them.

On this one, I understand your answer and it's good; however, you didn't ever say "yes" or "no." When you answer a question that is asking for a yes or no answer, please give a yes or no, first and then your explanation.

That is the most beautiful answer I have seen yet to this question. It is deeper than what most people say. Most of the time people talk about how our parents taught us to label things & and taught us that we were separate. And this is true, but you went much deeper with noticing that when we are feeling like victims,, we label and that we cannot feel like victims when we see the truth. That's beautiful.
That is perfectly normal for it to feel foreign and empty. And the other two statements are about your doubts. Hopefully, the dialog here will help you with that.

Yes, this dialogue should offer you comfort and confirmation. Which is not to say that it will always feel comfortable. :-) When we are finished, you will be invited to Aftercare groups on Facebook where you can meet others who see no self and discuss things.
Yes, that is how a lot of us get here.

The rest of it is very well described. That's exactly how it is experienced. No one here to do anything. No one to be responsible. No decision, intention, or free will. Only a story about free will. Here we call it the "content of thought." Thoughts arise, but the content of thought cannot be believed. It's made up.
Thank you so much for your response. Choice and control - there seems to be choice happening, but no one is here to choose. Who would choose? There is no controller - who would control? And control what?
You skipped "choice" and "control." Could you just describe those, please? And give examples.

You are clearly seeing that there is no self.

Questions and doubts and clearing out corners that we haven't looked at before will continue to occur, maybe for some time, even years. You have the clarity from which you can do this.

You know, don't worry about the quoting. I'm able to find your answers. No problem.

I am going to show your answers to the senior guides and see what they say about any clarifications that you might need, but overall you've got it.

Much love,

Anastacia42

Postby Anastacia42 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Alexa,

It looks like what you did was copy my whole post and post it back to me. Did you mean to do that? Were you trying to practice quoting?

I did ask you to please describe choice and control and give examples of that from your life. Somehow you skipped those two. Don't quote anything in the next post. Just answer the question.

Also, you can try watching this video about how use the quote.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

So after I get your answers about choice and control, you have two choices. I can submit your answers to senior guides to confirm you're seeing and you can be done. However, there are some skills that you could learn by going through the exercises here from beginning to end. There will be exercises on distinguishing thought from the content of thought, exercises on memory, body, and time, which might be helpful. It's up to you.

It's not that you need them in order to see - you don't. But it will give you a framework for what is happening and some language to talk about it.

Much love,
~ Stacy

~ Sam Harris

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 am

Wow! Ok I’m hopeless in ‘quoting’. I think using my phone to respond is difficult. Maybe my laptop is best. I’m so sorry! Thank you so much for your patience and reading the responses. I will watch the video.

Ok...this is how I describe choice and control:

Choice: it seems like I can or someone can choose to do something, like take a nap or go for a walk.

But I don’t know where the thought to take a nap or go for a walk comes from - do I have a choice really about taking a nap or going for walk. Is there a choice to pick one thought over another? No choice. I certainly didn’t choose to hear thought, I don’t even know where it comes from for me to declare ‘I chose!’

There is choice being made, but I don’t choose. It just feels like it though.

Control: There is a sense that I can control situations in life. I teach Kindergarten for a living and there are many moments where I feel the need to control my students.

But when I look, the sense of me controlling anything comes after the fact. If I say I have control over anything, that also means I can control which colors, shapes, sounds, sensations, or smells to perceive. But I don’t. When I look, there is no controller...everything happens, because it has and because it can.

Question: There is one thing I’m still not clear about...being born and death. If there is no ‘me’ anywhere, then who is born? And who dies? It’s like I can’t go to that place and understand. Would you help me with this?

Thank you again, Stacy!

Alexa

Postby Alexa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 am

I forgot to tell you about the next steps. I will love to learn skills to sharpen this new mystery. It’s been over a year since I saw no ‘me’, I think I might need further support to deepen the understanding.

Thank you so much!
Hi Alexa,

It looks like what you did was copy my whole post and post it back to me. Did you mean to do that? Were you trying to practice quoting?

I did ask you to please describe choice and control and give examples of that from your life. Somehow you skipped those two. Don't quote anything in the next post. Just answer the question.

Also, you can try watching this video about how use the quote.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

So after I get your answers about choice and control, you have two choices. I can submit your answers to senior guides to confirm you're seeing and you can be done. However, there are some skills that you could learn by going through the exercises here from beginning to end. There will be exercises on distinguishing thought from the content of thought, exercises on memory, body, and time, which might be helpful. It's up to you.

It's not that you need them in order to see - you don't. But it will give you a framework for what is happening and some language to talk about it.

Much love,

Return to “ARCHIVES”