Long time seeker - No-one-wannabe

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Rayd8

Re: Long time seeker - No-one-wannabe

Postby Rayd8 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Hey Kay,

Here's the answer to

Okay, so let’s have a look at the body.
Sit with eyes closed for about 15 minutes.
Paying attention only to the pure sensations, without relying on thoughts or mental images:
Can it be known how tall the body is?
No. Not in Actual Experience.
Does the body have a weight or volume?
There is sensation that gets labelled as "pressure" as in: "pressure where body presses against chair." But there is no "body weight" in AE.
In the actual experience does the body have a shape or a form?
It does not. There is no "sensation" of "shape" nor "form."
Is there a boundary between the body and the clothing?
No. Only sensation on what is labelled as "skin."
Is there a boundary between the body and the chair?

No boundary can be known in AE.
Is there an inside or an outside? If there is an inside - inside of what exactly?
No inside or outside. Eyes are closed. there are sensations, sounds, thoughts/labels, but there is no "distance" from anywhere to anything, so even less something that could be called "inside" or "outside."
If there is an outside, the outside of what exactly?
Exactly. Outside of what?
What does the word/label ‘body’ ACTUALLY refer to?
The thought/label "body" refers to the ColorSoundSmellTasteTouchThought associated with what "I" have been conditioned
to identify as "Me" or as the center from which it is experienced. But "body" cannot be found in Raw Experience because it is an idea, a thought.
What is the ACTUAL experience of the body?
It is AE of thought.
There is no body in Actual (Raw) Experience.

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:33 pm

I just noticed that I hadn't hit "post" on this below:
Did you find a chooser, decider or controller in any of the exercises that looked at this?
Go back and do the hand flipping exercise, the drink exercise and the what you are aware of exercise and tell me if there is a chooser, decider or controller?
I did not find a chooser then and I cannot find one now. There is no chooser.
Not only that...if there is no you who is a separate self...then how can there be others who are separate selves?
There are no others.
There is no such thing as the past! What is the 'past' in AE?
What is it exactly that has a past?
The past is thought, story about what Is, or about more thought. This is clear.

I have a hard time finding the proper language to explain things as they are now.

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Sat May 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Hello Ray,
What does the word/label ‘body’ ACTUALLY refer to?
The thought/label "body" refers to the ColorSoundSmellTasteTouchThought associated with what "I" have been conditioned
to identify as "Me" or as the center from which it is experienced. But "body" cannot be found in Raw Experience because it is an idea, a thought.
The word/label 'body' actually refers to AE of thought
What is the ACTUAL experience of the body?
It is AE of thought.
There is no body in Actual (Raw) Experience.
Yes :)
There are no others.
So let's look at this...to make sure this is clear.
The belief that others are a separate self and are aware, is based on two key assumptions which seem to overlap:
1. You are a person that is aware.
2. There is an ‘outside’ to experience as it is known (smell, taste, sound, thought, image, sensation)

Are you a ‘person’ that is ‘aware’?
Do ‘you’ perceive through a ‘body’?

What is the AE of ‘others thinking’?
What is the AE of ‘others’?
Are you a ‘person’ that others can think of?
What is the AE of 'other' being ‘aware’?
Is there anything other than ‘you’ that is ‘aware’?
If there is no personal 'me' then what are others?
What are 'others' made of?
How is it known that others have thoughts? Because they tell you?
Is there any evidence that you have thoughts? If you don't, can others have them?
How is it known that others experience?
How is it known that there is a “other”?
Can you find an ‘inner world and an ‘outer world’? Or is it thought that says there is an ‘inner world’ and an ‘outer world’?
Where exactly is the dividing line between an ‘inner world’ and an ‘outer world’?

Okay...continuing with a deeper investigation of the body. Please follow each step, don't leave out any. Take your time. Don't move to the next step until the previous one is clearly seen. Repeat the exercise several times.

Stand in front of a bigger mirror.

(1) First, close the eyes and feel the sensations labelled ‘body’.

(2) Then open the eyes and look into the mirror while still paying attention to the sensations.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations and the image in the mirror?
Or just thoughts (and/or mental images) suggest that there is?

(3) While still paying attention to the sensations move one hand and observe the movement from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and image of movement in the mirror?

(4) Now do the same movement with the hand, but this time look at the hand directly, not from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and the image ‘of movement’?
Or only thoughts suggest it?

(5) Now, pay attention only to the image in the mirror.

Does the image by itself suggest in any way that is ‘you’ or ‘your body’?
Does the image itself suggest in any way that it is a ‘body’ at all?
Or are there only colours and shapes?

(6) Where the mirror ends, some parts of the body (probably legs) cannot be seen.

Just by the image in the mirror, is there any ‘knowledge’ that there must be legs, or only thoughts and mental images suggest so?

(7) Now turn away from the mirror and look forward (don’t look directly to any body parts).

Is there a ‘body’ anywhere when all thoughts and images are ignored, or are there only sensations?

(8) Start to walk slowly.

Is there a ‘body walking’, or are there only sensations?
Is there actual experience of ‘walking’ at all?
Or just THOUGHTS ABOUT ‘walking’?
Can such a thing as ‘body’ be found OR just THOUGHTS ABOUT a ‘body’?
Can such a thing as ‘walking’ be found?

(9) Are the sensations localized in space, like ‘going through the room’; OR is there only an image that is labelled ‘room’ and appearing sensations without any location?

Kay
Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
https://freedomalreadyis.com/

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:30 am

Hey Kay,

Awesome. This "body" and "others" thoughts definitely need to be looked at.

It's getting late here so I'll work on those exercises tomorrow and report back.

Thanks!

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Hey Kay,

I'm working through the exercises, but here's where things get difficult...
The belief that others are a separate self and are aware, is based on two key assumptions which seem to overlap:
2. There is an ‘outside’ to experience as it is known (smell, taste, sound, thought, image, sensation)
There is such an old thought/story about perceiving from inside the body that is very difficult to "unlearn" right now.

Like, covering one eye changes perception of color, (of the "movie screen."
Still working on it. While doing the exercises, sometimes the experience is of Not perceiving through a body or its senses. Sometimes the "body" thought is "hard to escape."

This needs to be resolved before the "others" illusion is resolved.

Still working on this. Probably going to work on it for a couple of days.

I'll keep you posted.

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 am

Hello Ray,
There is such an old thought/story about perceiving from inside the body that is very difficult to "unlearn" right now.
The idea of perceiving from inside the body isn't going to change. What would it change to exactly? What would the experience look like exactly? You are still trying to experience 'no self'. There is no such experience...all that is SEEN is that there was never a self in the first place! Nothing else changes.
Like, covering one eye changes perception of color, (of the "movie screen."
That is not changing perception...that is 'changing' what is being viewed. Seeing things differently has nothing to do with the senses or what is deemed outside or inside the body. Perception change is the change in which something is regarded
Still working on it. While doing the exercises, sometimes the experience is of Not perceiving through a body or its senses. Sometimes the "body" thought is "hard to escape."

This needs to be resolved before the "others" illusion is resolved.
How do you plan to resolve that? Are you the thinker of thought?
What is it exactly that wants to escape the body thought?
Still working on this. Probably going to work on it for a couple of days.
There is no 'working' on this. Did Santa disappear when he was seen as a myth?

Kay

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:42 am

Hey Kay,

Again, the Compulsion to Find Meaning (to understand everything) was "throwing me off." Second guessing... For example: "Body is AE of Thought. - Hmmm, but if that's the case, what about old memories? What about this? What about that?

That's all Thought. AE of Thought...

So, there is no separation/division in Actual (Raw) Experience (in the IS/X).

Raw Experience can be "painted over" with thought. Like I mentioned earlier, thought is what creates the divisions.

X is what's Real and Raw.

There is no separation in X. Even ColorSoundSmellTouchThought do knot have any separation in AE/X.

Since there is no separation anywhere and with anything in X, there cannot be an Individual Person. A person is a thought.

Any and all Individuals are thought. A wave on the ocean interpreted as separate from the ocean.

Like I mentioned before, I have a pretty hard time expressing experience at the moment. Language fails time and time again.

This may or may not help explain what I'm trying to say:

One time I had a super realistic Lucid Dream where I was Wide Awake while still within the dream. Some friends were in the dream...

I whispered to one friend: "This is a dream!" he replied: "Who's dreaming? Me or you?" I said: "Me! Of course!"

He replied: "Then do I exist?!" to which I replied: "I don't know!"

"I'm" at the point now where "waking life" feels like a lucid dream. I cannot make things appear out of thin air like in that lucid dream, but sometimes there's the feeling that it could be done!

Right now, when "I'm walking around in the waking world" people seem the same way... Fake. They all have these stories but they seem fake. It's hard to explain.

Everything and everyone just IS. Like flowers popping out of a plant - no one is directing this, it just happens by itself...

And all personalities/individuals are like waves on the ocean. Ray is the Thought that he is a wave, when in fact he is the whole ocean. The "Ray wave" arises, then sustains itself for a bit, then subsides. While it is a wave, it believes it is separate to the ocean, but it is not separate. Separation is a thought. Separation is AE of THOUGHT. But the "Ray wave" is AE of Thought.

Another thing that was tripping me up was the Compulsion to find Meaning in everything (in each and every thing). But this is AE of Thought! There is no way to know WHAT X is made of or how it's all arising and subsiding etc. When I disregard finding meaning, X just IS with No Separation to anything else. Everything IS. Everything simply IS/X.

Okay...continuing with a deeper investigation of the body. Please follow each step, don't leave out any. Take your time. Don't move to the next step until the previous one is clearly seen. Repeat the exercise several times.

Stand in front of a bigger mirror.

(1) First, close the eyes and feel the sensations labelled ‘body’.

(2) Then open the eyes and look into the mirror while still paying attention to the sensations.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations and the image in the mirror? Or just thoughts (and/or mental images) suggest that there is?
There is no connection. Just thoughts. The fact that the sensation +thought+color etc seem to happen at the same time makes it seem connected.
(3) While still paying attention to the sensations move one hand and observe the movement from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and image of movement in the mirror?
There is no connection. It is the AE of Thought.
(4) Now do the same movement with the hand, but this time look at the hand directly, not from the mirror.

Is there any connection between the felt sensations (labelled ‘hand’) and the image ‘of movement’?
Or only thoughts suggest it?
It's the same as through the mirror. AE of Thought.
(5) Now, pay attention only to the image in the mirror.

Does the image by itself suggest in any way that is ‘you’ or ‘your body’?
Does the image itself suggest in any way that it is a ‘body’ at all?
Or are there only colours and shapes?
It's only colors and shapes. Just like watching a movie. The colors seem to be people and places but it's just interpreted color.
(6) Where the mirror ends, some parts of the body (probably legs) cannot be seen.

Just by the image in the mirror, is there any ‘knowledge’ that there must be legs, or only thoughts and mental images suggest so?
Only thoughts would give the idea of legs, in this example. Another example would be someone's head from the side. Thought assumes there are 2 ears, but there is only AE of one "ear" - the one "behind" the head is not known.
(7) Now turn away from the mirror and look forward (don’t look directly to any body parts).

Is there a ‘body’ anywhere when all thoughts and images are ignored, or are there only sensations?
This was really cool! When focusing on the "images on the screen" there is no body at all. Only sensations.
(8) Start to walk slowly.

Is there a ‘body walking’, or are there only sensations?
Is there actual experience of ‘walking’ at all?
Or just THOUGHTS ABOUT ‘walking’?
Can such a thing as ‘body’ be found OR just THOUGHTS ABOUT a ‘body’?
Can such a thing as ‘walking’ be found?
It is always "THOUGHT ABOUT something" as if X I'd "painted in thought." - "Walking" is AE of Thought.
(9) Are the sensations localized in space, like ‘going through the room’; OR is there only an image that is labelled ‘room’ and appearing sensations without any location?
Sensations without location. Location is AE of Thought. It cannot be known in Actual Experience.

I am not. X is Everything. No separation. There is no person. There cannot be.
No. AE is "the experience." X is the "body" is AE of Thought.
What is the AE of ‘others thinking’?
That is the AE of Thought.
What is the AE of ‘others’?
That is the AE of Thought.
Are you a ‘person’ that others can think of?
No. "Person" and "others" are AE of Thought.
What is the AE of 'other' being ‘aware’?
The AE of Thought.
Is there anything other than ‘you’ that is ‘aware’?
No. There is no "Me" that is aware. There only IS. - X
If there is no personal 'me' then what are others?
Just like in my dream, "others" are AE of Thought.
What are 'others' made of?
Others are are made of thoughts.
How is it known that others have thoughts? Because they tell you?
Exactly. There's no way to know if others have thought. That would be AE of Thought of thought...
Is there any evidence that you have thoughts? If you don't, can others have them?
Not in AE.
How is it known that others experience?
It cannot be known in AE.
It cannot be known. "Other" is AE of Thought.
Can you find an ‘inner world and an ‘outer world’? Or is it thought that says there is an ‘inner world’ and an ‘outer world’?
That division cannot be found/known.
Where exactly is the dividing line between an ‘inner world’ and an ‘outer world’?
There no divisions on X. Everything IS. No past or future either. Not even present. Everything "feels" eternal - happening at once... Kinda...

😎

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Mon May 06, 2019 5:56 am

Hello Ray,
Another thing that was tripping me up was the Compulsion to find Meaning in everything (in each and every thing). But this is AE of Thought! There is no way to know WHAT X is made of or how it's all arising and subsiding etc. When I disregard finding meaning, X just IS with No Separation to anything else. Everything IS. Everything simply IS/X.
Yes...X is a mystery. There is no way of knowing what X is. Thought tries its best to describe X…but all it ends up doing is dividing X.
Is there any connection between the felt sensations and the image in the mirror? Or just thoughts (and/or mental images) suggest that there is?
There is no connection. Just thoughts. The fact that the sensation +thought+color etc seem to happen at the same time makes it seem connected.
And if you drop the labels of ‘thought’, ‘colour’ and ‘sensation’…what remains ie what actually IS?
There is no connection. It is the AE of Thought.
Right…and here is a great exercise that helps to see how the illusion of the body is ‘created’, so to speak, as normally we believe that sensation is coming from sight - the object seen. In this experiment, the object being the ‘hand’.

1. Close the eyes and hold up one hand. Pay attention only to the felt sensation ‘of the hand’.
2. Open the eyes, and now observe the hand by looking only.
3. While looking at the hand, pay attention to the felt sensations.

Repeat 1 to 3 as many times as needed and investigate…

Can you see that both the ‘visual sight’ and the sensation appear simultaneously but ‘separately’, meaning that none of them is coming from the other or contained by the other?

Do they just appear equally, ‘beside’ each other without any hierarchy or link between them?

Is there any link between the sensation and the sight, meaning that the sensation is ‘coming from’ the sight (labelled as ‘hand’) or only thought and mental constructs link them?

This was really cool! When focusing on the "images on the screen" there is no body at all. Only sensations.
Yes, lovely
I am not. X is Everything. No separation. There is no person. There cannot be.
And the kicker here, is that it seems that X is experiencing life as a person. There is no person…so X is appearing as every ‘thing’…but is none of those things. Just like a night time dream. You are aware of everything that happens in the dream…and it SEEMS like you are in the dream…but you know you are not. Same thing.
No. AE is "the experience." X is the "body" is AE of Thought.
And X is appearing as 'thought', not the other way round. It is only thought that labels itself as thought when it is actually X itself.
It cannot be known. "Other" is AE of Thought.
Yes, exactly. Just like an apples is not known…nor is a person, whether it is labelled as “I” or “other”.

Kay

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello Kay?

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Ah crap... I've been doing this in my phone and I thought I had answered all your wuastions and I just noticed that I'm missing the last que srions you posted.

I'll answer as soon as I can today.

Sorry about that

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Hey Kay,

Sorry I t took so long to answer. I've been doing it ony phone and I missed it.

I wasn't getting the email notifications for some reason. I re-subscribed to the thread to see if it fixed it.

Here we go:
And if you drop the labels of ‘thought’, ‘colour’ and ‘sensation’…what remains ie what actually IS?
What remains is Raw experience (X) arising, with no thought overlay.

Right…and here is a great exercise that helps to see how the illusion of the body is ‘created’, so to speak, as normally we believe that sensation is coming from sight - the object seen. In this experiment, the object being the ‘hand’.

1. Close the eyes and hold up one hand. Pay attention only to the felt sensation ‘of the hand’.
2. Open the eyes, and now observe the hand by looking only.
3. While looking at the hand, pay attention to the felt sensations.

Repeat 1 to 3 as many times as needed and investigate…
I thought I had done this one already.

There's a sensation mostly on what is usually referred to as "the palm of the hand" - like a tingling sensation.
Can you see that both the ‘visual sight’ and the sensation appear simultaneously but ‘separately’, meaning that none of them is coming from the other or contained by the other?
Exactly. Color is independent from sensation. None is coil trained in the other. The tingling sensation is felt with eyes closed - without an image/color.
Do they just appear equally, ‘beside’ each other without any hierarchy or link between them?
Exactly.
Is there any link between the sensation and the sight, meaning that the sensation is ‘coming from’ the sight (labelled as ‘hand’) or only thought and mental constructs link them?
Only thought links them. This is very clear to me.

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 pm

I want to comment:

You explained it here much better than I could:
And the kicker here, is that it seems that X is experiencing life as a person. There is no person…so X is appearing as every ‘thing’…but is none of those things. Just like a night time dream. You are aware of everything that happens in the dream…and it SEEMS like you are in the dream…but you know you are not. Same thing.
And X is appearing as 'thought', not the other way round. It is only thought that labels itself as thought when it is actually X itself.
Thanks!

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Fri May 10, 2019 12:44 am

Hi Ray,
And is it actually arising…of it simply IS? Since thought is X…does X actually arise and subside?

Exactly. Color is independent from sensation. None is coil trained in the other. The tingling sensation is felt with eyes closed - without an image/color.
Lovely, yes.
Only thought links them. This is very clear to me.
Great!

Here is a great clip which shows how there is no correlation between sensation and hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dphlhmt ... e=youtu.be

Okay…so now we move on and look at the idea of time. There is a general assumption that there is linear time that started (if started at all) somewhere very far in the past and advances to the distant future. The present moment (now) is considered to be a very small fragment of time, or an event that is moving forward on this linear time, coming from the past and advancing to the future.

But is there an experience that the ’now’ is moving along the line of time?
Any experience of one ‘moment’ giving way to the next?
Any actual experience of one event following another?

How fast is the ‘present moment’ actually moving?

Just look at 'this moment', can you find a point where it began?

How long does the ‘now’ last?

Where does the ‘now’ start, and where does it end?

When does the ‘now’ exactly become the 'past'?

What is the ‘past’ in actual experience?

So is there actual experience of ‘time’ or thoughts about ‘time’?

Kay

Rayd8

Postby Rayd8 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:25 am

Hey Kay,
And is it actually arising…of it simply IS? Since thought is X…does X actually arise and subside?
What I mean by "arising" is "to show up" but I see what you mean.

The illusion of space and time is what made it seem like things arise and fade away, like waves on the ocean, but time is an illusion and time is what gives the illusion of arising. Sitting and "looking at time" yields nothing - there is no "time" to be "seen," "experienced," or "felt" in AE - ever.

In AE, I notice no time. X just IS - Always.

That video was great. I'd seen a similar one befor where they stick a fork in the fake hand and the subject freaks out:

https://youtu.be/MG22iFL-VgE

But the one you shared has that finger contraption I hadn't seen before. Very cool.

And that's exactly how it seemed when I did the hand exercises before. Like it's not "my hand."

Okay…so now we move on and look at the idea of time. There is a general assumption that there is linear time that started (if started at all) somewhere very far in the past and advances to the distant future. The present moment (now) is considered to be a very small fragment of time, or an event that is moving forward on this linear time, coming from the past and advancing to the future.

But is there an experience that the ’now’ is moving along the line of time?
No. There is no Actual Experience of Time. There is no "feeling" or "sensation" of passing time, motion of time, or any type of Time.
Any experience of one ‘moment’ giving way to the next?
No. A "moment" is an idea - AE of Thought.
Any actual experience of one event following another?
No experience like that exists in AE.
How fast is the ‘present moment’ actually moving?
Haha. That's a good one!
Just look at 'this moment', can you find a point where it began?
No. There is no time in X. This is very clear and real.
How long does the ‘now’ last?
"Now" is AE of Thought. There is no "time" in Raw experience at all so it cannot "last."
Where does the ‘now’ start, and where does it end?
This is clear. There is no set amount of time that "now lasts."
When does the ‘now’ exactly become the 'past'?
No way to know this because "now" is AE of Thought.
What is the ‘past’ in actual experience?
"Past" is AE of Thought. "The past" is thought. There is no "past" that anyone could go back to in AE - only in thought.
So is there actual experience of ‘time’ or thoughts about ‘time’?
There is only Thought about time. "Time" is AE of Thought. It cannot be anything else.

In summary, time is AE of Thought. Time is an illusion. A while back I read a definition of Time that said that "Time is motion of objects in space." It is the apparent "motion of objects in space" that creates the illusion of time. If an object moves from point A to point B, "Time must have passed." Also, if an apple rots away, then "time must be the culprit."

But in Actual Experience, there is No Time! This part is perfectly clear to me.

The compulsion of looking at the time while at work to see how much is left of the work day is gone.

Sitting doing nothing is perfectly fine and relaxing now a days - it was Not like this before. It used to be quite a struggle before. "Before" hahaha

I've actually noticed this change in experience. That time is not important now. There are no more worries about time. No stress about time. Both in "normal events" throughout the day and also about "getting old" etc, etc, etc.

The experience is simple. X just IS. Complications are Thought.

For grins and giggles (from The Hobbit):

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

😎👍🏼

forgetmenot

Postby forgetmenot » Fri May 10, 2019 2:31 am

Hi Ray,

Lovely post to read! It is clear that you have seen...but there is only one exercise to go in the whole series of deconstructing the idea of the self.

with regards to time - ‘here’ doesn’t refer to a place, nor does ‘now’ refer to a time.
HereNow points to the current and evident knowledge of experience (X), no matter what it is appearing as.

Past and memory go hand-in-hand as almost everybody believes that a memory thought is referring to something that has happened; that a memory thought is a different thought than a non-memory thought.

Please don’t go to thought explanation, but just let a memory be there, and look at it.

What is memory exactly?
What is the memory ‘made of’?

What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘memory’ thought?

WHEN does the memory actually appear?
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘memory’ thought refers to something that has happened?

Then, look at a thought about the future.
What is the future thought ‘made of’?

WHEN does the future thought appear?
What is the exact difference between a ‘general’ thought and a ‘future’ thought?
How is it known EXACTLY that a ‘future’ thought refers to something that will happen?

Then let’s compare a thought about past and a thought about the future.
What is the EXACT difference between the thoughts about past and future?
If there is difference, how that difference is known exactly?

Look at what is actually going on and not what thoughts say… but what actually is.

Kay

Return to “ARCHIVES”