Hey ddm, let's do this..

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
ddb

Re: Hey ddm, let's do this..

Postby ddb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 am

yeah, i've been having a few thoughts on that one.
short answer - yes, yes i do.
examining it here and now is a bit hard because it has disappeared (hence 'liberation' i guess). it may come back, but it'll be like an over the top drag-queen; easy to spot the fake.
it's just a mistake really, that's grown out of something practical, language, which has an inbuilt mistake in the use of the word "I". it's just grown that way, it never got corrected, and we get taught it and just go along.
maybe there's an isolated tribe somewhere who has no word for "I", and no concept of any solid or separate self.
or another image that i had was of a net, which represents consciousness, being bunched together at one point, and an "I" is created there as a reference point from which one part of the net can survey the rest of the net. this "I" is obviously arbitrary and can be swapped for any other point on the net. but sometimes a part of the net gets bunched up for too long and it is forgotten that it's only a context from which to survey the rest of the net.
or, as sentient beings one of the tricks, and traps, of intelligent consciousness is that we can virtually divide ourselves up and talk to another part of ourselves, we can create an instigator and an instigat-ee, an actor and an audience, and hold a conversation with ourselves. somehow this trick gets believed at some point.
also somehow all our emotional experiences get attached to "I", maybe as an attempt to make sense of them. when people refer to themselves in order to communicate to others, they say 'I am embarrassed, I am angry, I am sore', and, usually, the I has a lot of implied weight and assumed depth or permanency to it.
but seeing through the lie of self means the "I" in any statement used is paper thin, as indeed, is a label - it's a simple statement of the moment.
so maybe all those dynamics are playing into each other and become the belief in the self.
people believe in all kinds of shit.

Rikki

Postby Rikki » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:12 am

And after all your studying of this, and seeing of the simplicity of it, how would you now explain this to a 5 year old?

The billion dollar question dear friend: DO YOU EXIST?
This isn't about belief or some grandiose ideology. It's simply taking off the blinkers and getting a good, honest look at what's real.

http://theobviouselusive.blogspot.com/

ddb

Postby ddb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:22 am

(i've always wanted to know what the children's book is going to be to explain this to kids in the future. something like 'billy has two dads, but no self'.)

hey little girl, come over here for a minute.
do you like lollipops?
when i refer to myself, as a self, me or I, i am making a simple word for a collection of things, and describing where it happens. the things that are 'collected' are all that is capable of being experienced; and all that is experienced is connected to everything else, so the place where the naming of a self happens is the place where the universe happens. as such it's not a thing that exists, it's only a word for the collection of things that are happening in this place. there is no-one liking lollipops, but the enjoyment of lollipops is happening, the existence of lollipop liking doesn't imply the existence of a liker.

Rikki

Postby Rikki » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 am

Awesome bro, welcome to reality.

Now please oh please, write that book...
This isn't about belief or some grandiose ideology. It's simply taking off the blinkers and getting a good, honest look at what's real.

http://theobviouselusive.blogspot.com/

Return to “ARCHIVES”