Pay Attention

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
s-p-a-c-e

Re: Pay Attention

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

Hiya Keith,

I’ve been sitting with “without anyone” as a frame, and it does seem to be a basic perception of mine, and it is terrifying although I don’t let the terror in very far. I’ve been allowing that this is a perception, and not the truth, and that feels like it could be heaven.

Ok, good. Stay with this work Keith for the coming day. In a way, this has very little to do with the content of the perception - in this case, "without anyone". But still, we can use this content "without anyone" to work with it because it's there.

So, the work is to see that this perception "without anyone" is a perception.
That's neither good or bad, just what is.
It is a perception.

To that end, it is neither true or false.
It is a perception, a view.

At some point in our life, we took on certain perceptions and treat them as if they were true.
In other traditions, this might be called attachment, attachment to seeing a perception as true.

So, get to that place Keith where "without anyone" is merely a perception.
As such, you are no longer subject to it.
See what that's like.

With much love,
John
"The more he looked inside, the more Piglet wasn't there." - A.A.Milne

Author, The Faun's Apprentice - see on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fauns-Apprenti ... B01AR2B63U

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi John,
Sit with that, meditate with it if that works for you, and penetrate through this notion that a perception - whatever it is, it true - to see it is a view, rather than true.
I’ve been sitting with the perception of “without anyone” and I have a sense of it as something I look through rather than a true or false thing. That feels freeing, more relaxed.

Keith xx

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi Keith,

Hi John,
Sit with that, meditate with it if that works for you, and penetrate through this notion that a perception - whatever it is, it true - to see it is a view, rather than true.
I’ve been sitting with the perception of “without anyone” and I have a sense of it as something I look through rather than a true or false thing. That feels freeing, more relaxed.

Good work.

Now, take your understanding that a perception is mere perception, and check out a few more common perceptions you may have. Maybe a perception about yourself, how you see yourself. Maybe a perception about life, how you see life.

So, for example, stay with the perception of yourself.
Know what it's like to act as if the perception is true, that you are therefore subject to it.

Then, bring your understanding that the perception of yourself, is a perception only, not true or false, just a perception.
And thereby, you are not subject to this anymore, free of it.

Explore this Keith, and let me know how it goes.

With much love,
John

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 am

Hi John,
I’ve been looking at some perceptions I have about me and other things: a caring father; I can’t do this (see through self view); I’m a Spurs fan; it’s very windy; I am awkward with people.

It can be difficult to stay with the a perception as others come in. The first thing I noticed was how many perceptions I have. There is a sense of freedom in putting a perception down, and each one is self confirming within its own perspective. Some were very emotionally charged e.g. the Spurs one while watching a game they were losing was difficult to see as neither true nor false because of the reactions going on in my body.

Keith xx

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi Keith,

Hi John,
I’ve been looking at some perceptions I have about me and other things: a caring father; I can’t do this (see through self view); I’m a Spurs fan; it’s very windy; I am awkward with people.

Sorry to hear you're a Spurs fan, especially after that Sheffield Utd performance - shocker that. :)

It can be difficult to stay with the a perception as others come in. The first thing I noticed was how many perceptions I have. There is a sense of freedom in putting a perception down, and each one is self confirming within its own perspective. Some were very emotionally charged e.g. the Spurs one while watching a game they were losing was difficult to see as neither true nor false because of the reactions going on in my body.

Good points Keith.

Now, the intention here is not to solve anything, push it away, fix, or avoid, or put down.

Or sole aim with this task is look at what a perception is through our experience of it.

Take the perception "it’s very windy" - it may indeed be windy, indeed very windy for you, and someone else visiting from the coast, perceives "a mild breeze". Does either perception have more truth than any other?

So, we take the perception "it’s very windy" - and look at it not through the content of "it’s very windy", but we are appreciating that this is a perception, an instance of perceiving, whether external "wind" or internal "caring father" - in both cases, these are perceptions, and it is the nature, the experience of perceptions that we're going for.

It's a subtle shift because we are so used to getting hooked into content, the perception OF this, the perception OF that. But here we're not interested in the OF bit, we're interested that it is a perception. And a perception is just that. Not true or false. We add that into it, and act accordingly.

So, for example, you perceive "it’s very windy" - and you notice, that this is a perception. You are having a perception. A flicker of perception. Notice how it arrives, stays, and goes.

And again, we're not wanting the perception to go, or make a big deal about the fact that it goes, we are just observing what happens with a perception.

It was as if a perception were made of tissue paper, but we'd never ever noticed that, we'd only ever seen the images and words that showed up on the tissue paper - and then one day, we go 'Oh fuck, it's made out of tissue paper!' and from that point on, all perceptions take on a different quality.

I'll shut up now. :D
Explore this Keith, see if you can make sense of my ramblings.

Much love,
John

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:24 am

Hi John,
I am still looking at perceptions. At times I just get caught in them, and then there is the perception of that, and the perception that I cannot do this etc.

Keith xx

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Keith,

Hi John,
I am still looking at perceptions. At times I just get caught in them, and then there is the perception of that, and the perception that I cannot do this etc.

We all get caught in perceptions, and that's ok.

In many ways this kind of perception is no different to a piece of paper, on which you write, for example: I'm having a lovely day.

You look at the paper, read it. Ok, am I having a lovely day. It's on the paper, so it must be true.

Or on the paper is written: At times I just get caught in them.

You look at the paper, read it. It's on the paper - so what does that mean, if it's on the paper?

Are we going to decide that EVERYTHING written on the paper has some AUTHORITY over me?

Imagine if that were the case, as we walked around life, shuffling bits to paper to find out how it is.

perception = paper.

Are we really making paper our God?

Much love,
John

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 am

Hi John,
Are we really making paper our God?
Yes, or gods. Paper gods.

Keith xx

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 am

Hi Keith,

Three pieces of paper, each one with one word on it:

self

no-self

being

Look at each, and tell me what you feel/think about each one.

Much love,
John

p.s. Spurs are getting better.

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 am

Hi John,

Self - It’s written in green. It’s bright. I think that it is hard, and confining or containing. This feels tight and uncomfortable, and safe and comforting. I think of it as a problem to be solved. It also seems unsubstantial being written on paper, and about to fly off.

No-self - it is written in red, and is darker like blood that is drying. I think it is dangerous, and freeing, something about dying. It seems warm, and disorientating. I feel a bit dizzy when I consider it.

Being - is yellow and neither bright nor dark. I like being more than the other two. I think that it is more reliable and simpler. It buzzes like a bee, and is numinous. I feel excited by it, and also safe. And it is just a word on paper.

Keith xx

PS “better than“ who knows?

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:40 am

Self - It’s written in green. It’s bright. I think that it is hard, and confining or containing. This feels tight and uncomfortable, and safe and comforting. I think of it as a problem to be solved. It also seems unsubstantial being written on paper, and about to fly off.

No-self - it is written in red, and is darker like blood that is drying. I think it is dangerous, and freeing, something about dying. It seems warm, and disorientating. I feel a bit dizzy when I consider it.

Being - is yellow and neither bright nor dark. I like being more than the other two. I think that it is more reliable and simpler. It buzzes like a bee, and is numinous. I feel excited by it, and also safe. And it is just a word on paper.

Ok, that's great.

Of the three, which one isn't thought up?

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:01 am

None of them.

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:05 am

None of them.

So what's to be concerned about?

Purpleturtle

Postby Purpleturtle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Nothing

s-p-a-c-e

Postby s-p-a-c-e » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Nothing

The idea of self? Made up.
The idea of no-self? Made up.
The idea of being? Made up.
The idea of tree? Made up.

These are all ideas. By definition, made up.

Snap fingers on both hands.
Smile.
Is the one reading this only an idea?

Much love,
John

Return to “THE GATE”