who's there?

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
chalksnorks

who's there?

Postby chalksnorks » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:34 pm

LU is focused guiding for seeing there is no real, inherent 'self' - what do you understand by this?
That I will be supported via questions to turn towards my direct experience - a continual arising and passing away of sense impressions and thoughts - which I habitually label as 'me'. When meditating I am in touch with this constant flow, and yet there remains the concept of a witness/observer, decision making self - which appropriates it all.

What are you looking for at LU?
I want to be supported to engage in a sustained way with my direct experience, to be asked questions and be directed towards uncovering my wrong views and how I cling to a sense of 'me'. I have a cognitive understanding of this, and have experienced moments of freedom through my practice in the past but not in a way that has led to a sustained change in the way I perceive of myself.

What do you expect from a guided conversation?
To be repeatedly asked questions which help me stay with my direct experience and which through investigating will challenge the underlying wrong views of a fixed self in different ways. To be steered to look more closely at aspects of my experience that usually go unquestioned/unseen because they underpin the way of seeing itself. To be supported to stick with an investigation of experience, despite resistance and/or fear - when I would usually turn away.

What is your experience in terms of spiritual practices, seeking and inquiry?
I have been practicing with Triratna for 10 years now, and have experience of numerous meditation retreats and dharma study. I also practice somatic movement/education so have experience of enquiring into the body. I've experienced a number of insights through my Buddhist practice - some which were a momentary seeing through, others which have had lasting effects. I feel I have a doctrinal understanding of 'no self' but need support to see through it in my own experience in a way which is lasting.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how willing are you to question any currently held beliefs about 'self?

Bananafish

Re: who's there?

Postby Bananafish » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:53 am

Hi chalksnorks. :)

My name is Bananafish, and I'd be glad to help you.

To start with, would you like to tell what "you" are
in your daily experience?

chalksnorks

Postby chalksnorks » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello Bananafish,

Thankyou for offering to help me.
To start with, would you like to tell what "you" are in your daily experience?
I experience 'myself' as a consciousness in which sensations arise and pass away, the most captivating of which are thoughts. In my daily life I most often relate to 'myself' as that thinking mind - believing it to be instructive and directing of action/intention.
However, in the quiet of meditation I watch thoughts arise and disappear with no ability to control or guide them.
What I am left with as 'me' is a consciousness which appears to 'witness' these arisings.
At times it feels as though I can influence this consciousness - narrowing it down to pay attention to particular sensations or broadening out, and at others times it feels as though it just arises independently.

Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi. :) Thanks for the reply.

When you are eating lunch, would you say that consciousness is
eating lunch?

Return to “THE GATE”