Thread for bill =8^0

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
Billy3xs

Thread for bill =8^0

Postby Billy3xs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Thank you Vivien,

Worth repeating after all the sitting I’ve done, it is mind blowing to find such a straight forward process to no self!

How much sitting, well…before I was born, 1946, I was seeking. Then very early I recall not being able to sleep, resting my head on the window sill looking up at the stars and thinking “there has to be more than this”. An introverted, only child with no father I was very much alone with my thoughts which led to a life of seeking and self-improvement. 1968 Nichiren Buddhism in Japan, 1971 Born Again Christian, 1980 Scientology, 1998 Soto Zen in San Francisco, 2000 Vipassana with Gil Fronsdal focusing on the Satipatthanna, Jahna practice, 2009 Goenka Vipassana. I sit an hour each morning early while there’s relative peace and quiet. Found LU via Jackson Peterson on Facebook! Got the Enlightening app (OMG there’s an app for that). Plenty of books to make my head swim with glorious visions of Enlightenment. Pretty much gave up on attaining Enlightenment this lifetime, but have always found sitting beneficial.

Current sitting is Goenka style of focusing on the sensation of breath at the anapana spot and releasing past sankharas following the framework of the Satipatthanna. I am familiar of course with the concept of no self or non-self, but somehow missed hitting it directly the way LU is.

I look forward to this mind blowing ride!
Sincerely,
Bill

Vivien

Re: Thread for bill =8^0

Postby Vivien » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your introduction. I am happy to assist in exploring 'no-self', though I can only point the way. You have to 'see' it for yourself. That is why we are described as guides, not teachers.

You and I will simply have a conversation, the aim of which will be for you to make the realisation that there is no 'self'. That will be our focus. I will tend to ask various questions and set you some exercises, but nobody will be judging you. You can't get this wrong.
This process is essentially an extension of your own inquiry. It is 'guided' so that specific areas may be examined.
I am not a teacher. This is YOUR inquiry. I will not be giving you new ideas and beliefs; only assisting you in examining and questioning the ones that you already have.
But before we start, let’s get through the formalities first:
If you haven't already seen it, there is introductory info here, the disclaimer and a short video too.
http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

A few ground rules:
1. Post at least once a day, if you cannot post, or need more time, let me know.
2. Be 100% honest in your answers and inquiry.
3. Answer only from direct experience (felt senses and observed thoughts). Longwinded
analytical and philosophical answers are best avoided and may even hinder progress.
4. Put aside all other teachings, philosophies and such for the remainder of this investigation.
Really put all your effort and attention in to seeing this reality, as it is. If you have a daily and
essential meditation practice, it is fine to continue that.
5. Understand that I will be guiding you, rather than teaching you, and the more you put into this process the more you will get out of it.

A few technical support:

- You can reply to this thread by pushing the purple-orange coloured button 'Post Reply" at the left bottom of this page.
- You can learn to use the quote function, instructions are located in the link below this line:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660
- Please click the 'subscribe topic' link at the very bottom of the page to ensure you get an email whenever a reply comes in.

If you are happy to agree to the above and have me your guide, we can start the process.

What are your expectations for seeing through the illusion of the self?
How will Life change?
How will you change?
What will be different?

Please answer these questions in great detail. No expectation is too small to ignore.

Love, Vivien
"In the seen, there is only the seen. In the heard, there is only the heard. In the sensed, there is only the sensed. You are located neither in this, nor in that, nor in any place between the two." - Buddha
http://fadingveiling.com/

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you Vivien,

I have read the disclaimer and am not a spiritual tourist. ;-)
I happily agree to being guided by you with much appreciation for the challenges you face doing this!
I watched the intro video, very nice, curious who those people are...
4. Put aside all other teachings
I have unsubscribed from all other topics, except for my wife's who is just starting the process too.
lately my meditation has been, uh, very light, not serious, more to-do lists. So currently it's not really having an effect on this process.
How will Life change?
I know there's still selfing going on. Thoughts come and stories spin. I think after this the grip of self is seen thru there will be less delusion and I'll be less confused about self, non-self, volition. I might spend less time studying or on retreat because I'd have plenty of past stuff more relevant to me coming up naturally to see through. Lessening baggage could lighten my response to whatever life brings. I could spend more time surfing!
How will you change?
Not much really and yet a lot. But I think a better understanding will clear things up and most importantly to get beyond the intellectual and into direct experience of seeing thru the thoughts could give me more peace to rest in the process with a clearer direction.
What will be different?
Less baggage. An even quicker awareness of thoughts than before. More rigpa perhaps or just more in the Now appreciation for this cosmic dance.

Warmly,
bill

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:29 am

Dear Bill,
Thank you for your description about the expectations. You might have read some of these responses in other threads, but still please pay particular attention to them.
This list is important, because every expectation is in a way of seeing what is here, right now. Every expectation is a ‘hindrance’ in realizing what IS. Expectations are about the future. But liberation cannot be found in the future.

I go through all the expectations one-by-one. While you read them, please pay attention to what arises in the body. Is there any resistance to any of it?
I know there's still selfing going on. Thoughts come and stories spin. I think after this the grip of self is seen thru there will be less delusion and I'll be less confused about self, non-self, volition.
There is no ‘you’ that could be less confused, however confusion can lessen, but without an owner (you).
I might spend less time studying or on retreat because I'd have plenty of past stuff more relevant to me coming up naturally to see through.
Yes, this may happen, but it is important to note that seeking is the result of conditionings. At LU we only go so far as no self; but seeing that the self is just an illusion is just the first step, however the most important one. X years of conditioning won’t go away in an instance, but without a centre, a ‘me’, there is nothing they could attach to or stick to, so gradually they fall away. This falling can last until the end of the organism. So expecting that seeing through the illusion of the self is the end is quite unrealistic.
Lessening baggage could lighten my response to whatever life brings.
There is no ‘you’ that could have a response to whatever life brings. Responding can happen, but without a owner or doer.

After seeing through the illusion of the self, identification with the I-thought and self-referencing thoughts and stories still can arise as a content of thoughts. However, upon investigation (or sometimes without any investigation) it can be seen that they are only thoughts and nothing more, nothing ‘real’.
most importantly to get beyond the intellectual and into direct experience of seeing thru the thoughts could give me more peace to rest in the process with a clearer direction.
Again, my response is the same: There is no ‘you’ that could have more peace. This is what we’re going to work on.

Desire for peace is a tricky one!
Peace is a state, and no states are permanent, they are all subject to change. Liberation is not about not having any ‘bad’ or uncomfortable feelings any more. Rather it’s about encompassing all emotions, accepting whatever is arising in this moment.

Many seekers believe that liberation is a completely different state that they are currently having, with some special qualities (happiness, bliss, constant peace or whatever). However, this is not the case.

Seeing through the illusion that there is a separate entity ‘self’ is not a state. When it is SEEN it, the knowledge becomes factual.

For example, did you ever once believe that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy was real? If you did at one point, and don't now, does the experience of discovery last? Or is it that the knowledge that there is no such thing as Santa or Tooth Fairy is just another ‘fact’?

Many seekers have the impression that seeing there is no self is a state to ‘abide in’. It's not.
Less baggage.
The so called ‘baggage’ is the result of a lifelong conditioning. Just because the illusion of the self seen through, it doesn’t mean that the conditioning will go away in an instant. Liberation is not a one-time event. The falling away of conditionings has no end.

You mentioned this in your introduction:
Plenty of books to make my head swim with glorious visions of Enlightenment.
What about these glorious visions? Are these expectations (believes) are still there?
Please list all ‘glorious’ expectations that are still there.

Pretty much gave up on attaining Enlightenment this lifetime, but have always found sitting beneficial.
Liberation is not an attainment. It is NOT a doing. It is not an action. It is about STOPPING doing.
So liberation cannot be attained. And there is no ‘you’ that could become liberated. Liberation can happen, but without a doer or owner, without ‘you’.

What I propose to do is to set you some exercises, physical ones, in which I will ask you to describe the experience of the senses. We call this direct experience, or the uninterpreted moment. This refers to the data from the sensations themselves, before mind tries to make sense of it and begins to describe what is happening. Observing with the five senses — seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching/feeling. These exercises can help to see what is ‘real’ and what is not.

But before starting, please report what came up reading the comments about the expectations.
Was there any resistance to any of it?

And also please list all ‘glorious’ expectations that are still there.

Love, Vivien
"In the seen, there is only the seen. In the heard, there is only the heard. In the sensed, there is only the sensed. You are located neither in this, nor in that, nor in any place between the two." - Buddha

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Dear Vivien,

Yes this all looks familiar but it's so much better actually doing it.
First I tried to be as careful with my wording as possible and at the first [quote]There is no ‘you’[quote] the mind thought "oh shucks" and at the second "There is no ‘you’" The mind thought "gee I really am not seeing how much identification there is here".

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Oooops I hit "Submit" instead of another button. Sooo continuing...
There is no ‘you’
The first time you pointed out "there is no you" my mind thought it was funny I was still using I after trying to be so careful with the language. The second time you pointed out "There is no ‘you’" my mind thought "gee I'm less aware of this "I" identification than I thought. Which produced a feeling of tiredness.

Also with the "There is no ‘you’" there is a feeling of loss. Of losing Billy or an old friend. This seems to mean letting go of something very personal and "I" feel resistance to saying goodbye.
X years of conditioning won’t go away in an instance
No resistance to that. Would just like to add that "I've" been watching thoughts for some time now. My mantra has been, Thoughts arising and passing, not me, not I, not mine.
‘glorious visions of Enlightenment’
Ha ha, duped again! Religions! Why do they have to exaggerate or why can't they tell young gullible minds in Sunday School walking on water is just a metaphor! I'm fairly disabused of the fairy tales, however maybe it's the seeker in me but there's still a sensation of yearning for some of that fairy tale stuff. Beam me up Scotty!

There is an expectation that after Liberation there will still be growth, self-improvement, and meditation, but without "me", just working on the Mind. Although the stories of someone getting "it" and saying they have no more questions, that's it, is intriguing.

Sincerely,
bill

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:15 am

Dear Bill,
The first time you pointed out "there is no you" my mind thought it was funny I was still using I after trying to be so careful with the language.
Ohh, please don’t do that. Don’t try to be careful with the language, systematically avoiding the word ‘I’. If you do that then I’m not able to help you, because I cannot see where you’re at the moment. So please, use the language that feels/sound the TRUEST for you at the moment. This is very important. I need your 100% honesty. Don’t write anything that is not 100% true for you at the moment.
There is an expectation that after Liberation there will still be growth, self-improvement, and meditation, but without "me", just working on the Mind. Although the stories of someone getting "it" and saying they have no more questions, that's it, is intriguing.
“After liberation…” – liberation is not a one-time event. Seeing no-self is just the first step. It has no end, it lasts until the end of the organism.

“Liberation there will still be growth, self-improvement, and meditation” – yes, this is a process, not a one-time event. But there is no self-improvement. There is no self that could be improved. There won’t be a better version of you.
Also with the "There is no ‘you’" there is a feeling of loss. Of losing Billy or an old friend. This seems to mean letting go of something very personal and "I" feel resistance to saying goodbye.
Thank you for your honesty. Yes, resistance arise because there is a belief that something can be lost. But there has NEVER been a ‘you’ that could be lost. Which has never existed, cannot be lost. Nothing will change. There is ALREADY no ‘you’.

Resistance is just a protective mechanism, and it does its job well. It highlights that there is a story there about pain or negative consequences to this investigation.

What I’d like you to do is to investigate this resistance. Examine it closely. Ask the resistance as it were a some kind of entity:

What do you want to protect me from?
What is the ‘negative’ story, what would happen if the illusion of the self is seen through?

Observe what images and stories come up ‘justifying’ its right to resist.

If you ignore the stories (thoughts) and mental images what is BEHIND the resistance?

Love, Vivien

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Thank you Vivien,
Don’t try to be careful with the language, systematically avoiding the word ‘I’
Well I'm sure you've seen this from others but I'll write it down to see how you respond. First off language, writing without using self-referencing terms is new to me and sounds weird. I know it's just a convention to say "I", but in this context "I" and "no-self" need to be clear. So I'll be 100% honest, but my terminology will be new. For example without a self instead of saying "I think", I would say "the mind thinks". Or another good one instead of "self-improvement", I would say "mind-improvement". And just to be Clear (ha ha, a state in Scientology) if there is a feeling the answer came from the Self, I'll write it that way, 100% guaranteed!
“After liberation…” – liberation is not a one-time event. Seeing no-self is just the first step
Ok, then I meant after "seeing no-self" I expect to continue losing baggage, etc.
Ask the resistance as it were a some kind of entity:
Ok now we get down to the meat! I sat this morning from 4ish to 5ish as usual and asked the question "What is the resistance to losing Billy?" This is what came up in feelings and sensations that I will translate into words:
  • Sadness, loss still comes up right away. In fact all day yesterday there was a feeling like mourning for a lost friend. The Mind has a lot invested in this creation and a lot of history like an old friend. The Mind also is very entertained by Billy's stories.
  • I asked again and got "boredom" There was a feeling of creating an object (Self) that could feel life and feel alive.
  • So I asked what about all that suffering and I had a feeling that the energy from anger and pain was just more feeling and life, so that was even better entertainment for the Mind as a justification. A la Tolle's Pain Body feeding off of energy.
  • What do you want to protect me from?
  • Gee I dunno if the mind is protecting me or just being plain selfish. I can see huge benefits to not selfing and yet the mind does not want to give it up.
sincerely,
bill

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:44 am

Dear Bill,
I know it's just a convention to say "I", but in this context "I" and "no-self" need to be clear. So I'll be 100% honest, but my terminology will be new. For example without a self instead of saying "I think", I would say "the mind thinks". Or another good one instead of "self-improvement", I would say "mind-improvement". And just to be Clear (ha ha, a state in Scientology) if there is a feeling the answer came from the Self, I'll write it that way, 100% guaranteed!
Oh dear Bill, there is a WARNING sign here! It seems that you’ve replaced the old belief “I am this body and personality” with a new one “there is no ‘me’, no-self”. This is a big trick! This is not about believing that there is no-self, it is about SEEING it. SEEING involves NO BELIEFS. In this way the belief in ‘me’ is kept intact, only the subject (the name of it) changed.

So, I ask you again, please don’t try to leave out the words ‘I’ and self. Just write naturally as if we have an everyday conversation. Otherwise I cannot help you.
without a self instead of saying "I think", I would say "the mind thinks". Or another good one instead of "self-improvement", I would say "mind-improvement".
This is the same belief just now you call it ‘mind’ instead of ‘I’. There is NO MIND either.

But please don’t try to figure this out intellectually. The intellect cannot go there, because SEEING is PRIOR TO thoughts. This is what we are going to work on.
I sat this morning from 4ish to 5ish as usual and asked the question "What is the resistance to losing Billy?" This is what came up
Thank you for sharing this and for your honesty. It is important to note that the three points you’ve listed are just thought stories, content of thoughts arising here and now, in this moment. These are just stories, but when they are not seen only as thought stories but they are believed, associated emotions can arise, like sadness, feeling of loss.

So as a next step, I’d like to ask you to observe the pure bodily sensation that is labelled as ‘sadness’ or ‘feeling of loss’. Ignore all stories, thoughts, and go directly to the pure sensations.

What is behind or prior to thoughts?

If you ignore the stories (thoughts) and mental images what is BEHIND the sadness?
Is there anything at all other than pure bodily sensations?
Does the bodily sensation is REALLY ‘sad’ or just thoughts suggest this?

--

After observing this, let’s start with our first examination.
The first thing to investigate is to find out what you currently believe yourself to be.
This should be kept very simple and should not be anything requiring in-depth analysis or thought.

The standard view of 'I', 'me' is that of a person - A body with a mind.
The standard view is that 'I' refers to this body that appears here in awareness. I am this body. Also 'I' have control over this body.
Since 'I' am this body, 'I' see, 'I' hear, 'I' feel etc - I perform all the senses.
This body was born - It will live a number of years - And then it (I) will die.

Feel free to reject what I have suggested if they don't match what you currently believe yourself to be.

Currently, would it be fair to say that you believe that currently you are a person sitting in a chair, looking at a computer screen and reading words off it right now?

What does the word 'I' point to?
What makes this body ‘yours’?
What makes this body ‘you’?

From now on, I will write all questions in blue, please always answer ALL of them. These questions are pointers where to LOOK. Of course, you can also reply to any other parts of my posts if you feel need to.

Love, Vivien

Billy3xs

Re: Thread for bill =8^]

Postby Billy3xs » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Thank you Vivien,

Oh dear, again! ;-) Hmmm, no mind, well onward and upward...looks like I've got two strikes now (ya Giants won the World Series!) uh, so I'll just let go of language manipulation, let go of figuring it out and just flow with the process.
What is behind or prior to thoughts?
If you ignore the stories (thoughts) and mental images what is BEHIND the sadness?
Is there anything at all other than pure bodily sensations?
Does the bodily sensation is REALLY ‘sad’ or just thoughts suggest this?
It's great getting your replies just before I go to bed. So I got up and sat with the same question and the ones you provided. BUT, nothing came up, that feeling has left and possibly the thought creating it has resolved in the background. I could not contact anything and was really eager to look behind. I feel like I need to FYI that when contacting some thought or Sankhara there will be typically a release of energy like a rush. I'm just saying, I'm aware of that happening, for what it's worth.
Currently, would it be fair to say that you believe that currently you are a person sitting in a chair, looking at a computer screen and reading words off it right now?
Yes I agree with the general description and I feel like the person sitting here.
What does the word 'I' point to?
"I" points to the five Skandhas; input from Form, Sensation, Perception, Mental Formations, and Consciousness. "I" points to this mish mash of perceptions, labels, thoughts, conclusions, volition or decisions.
What makes this body ‘yours’?
Well I've been stuck in it a long time, no one else has had it. All the senses seem to come through it and no one elses.
What makes this body ‘you’?
It has individualized looks, actions, personality, history, only this body has.

Sincerely,
bill

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:21 am

Dear Bill,
uh, so I'll just let go of language manipulation, let go of figuring it out and just flow with the process.
That’s an excellent idea :)
"I" points to the five Skandhas; input from Form, Sensation, Perception, Mental Formations, and Consciousness.
Dear Bill, this is learned, intellectual second-hand information.

When I ask these questions, I am not interested what you’ve learned previously what others said about this. You cannot go with this anywhere. I am only interested in your actual, immediate experience prior to thoughts.

So I’d like you to put aside all gained knowledge and report only from your direct experience.

Now we try to find the ‘owner’ of the body.
We are LOOKing for a real ‘I’. Real is something that can be found.

What I want you to do for our examination together, is to try to separate out thoughts from what is ‘real’.

But at first, as an example, let’s try to find Darth Vader from Star Wars.
We’re looking for a real Darth Vader that can be found.
In order to prove that it exists, we have to experience it directly by seeing, hearing, touching/feeling, smelling.

The image projected to the cinema screen is not it.
The poster on the wall about Darth Vader is not it.
The memory in ‘my head’ about Darth Vader is not a proof of its existence.
A thought suggesting that “he may be exist somewhere in the galaxy” is just an idea, but not a proof of it.
A lego figure of Darth Vader is not a real Darth Vader.
A life size wax figure exhibited in a museum is not it.
A twelve-year old boy dressed in a Darth Vader costume is not it.

Now, try to find the ‘I’ that supposedly owns the body. Look everywhere. Search every corner of the body, memories, feelings, thoughts, or any other places. Don’t leave any stones unturned.

Let's take 'seeing' as a first example.

Right now, these words on the screen are being seen. Examine the actual experience right now.

Now, can it be found what is seeing them?
Do you see a seer?
Can be located, found, tracked-down etc the 'thing' that is seeing these words on the screen right now?

Love, Vivien

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:21 pm

Thank you Vivien,

Thank you for the Darth Vader example, way better than Santa Claus... ;-)

This time I read your reply just before sitting, 2:30-3:00 am. I posed these questions;
Now, try to find the ‘I’ that supposedly owns the body.
Now, can it be found what is seeing them?
Do you see a seer?
Can it be located, found, tracked-down etc the 'thing' that is seeing these words on the screen right now?
1. No "I" could be found
2. Concentration was not that great and I kept coming back to the questions and asked, "Yes or No is there an 'I" to be found? As if, "come on dude, give it up, face it."
3. So eventually I felt some resistance in there somewhere and looked into/behind it. Not much there but I did get a rush of energy releasing something. Then I went back to it again and got another little release.

So now...1:20 pm second look at this
1. looking at the screen and your question, there is just seeing, written words sounding in my head as a voice speaking.
2. Looking at "Do you see a seer?" I get a shiver thru my body. No I don't see a seer, just seeing.
3. "Tracked down"...I come up empty with a slight headache and my eyes hurt.

Sincerely,
bill

Vivien

Postby Vivien » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Dear Bill,

You’ve done very good LOOKing :)

Let’s examine thoughts now. Sit for about 15 minutes and investigate these questions:

Where thoughts come from?
Where are they going?
Can ‘you’ stop a thought in the middle?
Can ‘you’ predict what will be the next thought?
Can 'you' choose not to have painful or negative thoughts?

Can an 'I' be found that generates thoughts?
“I think” - What is 'I'? What is the one that thinks?
What is the thinker of thoughts?

Does the thinker of the thought appear in experience? Can it be found?
Or could it be that the 'I' that thinks is also just a thought?

Take your time with the questions.

Love, Vivien

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Thank you Vivien,
Where do thoughts come from?
From synapses in various areas in the brain."You are your synapses. They are who you are."
--- Joseph LeDoux, 2002 (in Synaptic Self)
Where are they going?

Billy3xs

Postby Billy3xs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 pm

ooops again, hit the Submit button early!

Sooo, sitting with these questions was so empty, rather disappointing, no charge or release or rushes. Just empty looking.
Where do thoughts come from?
From synapses in various areas in the brain."You are your synapses. They are who you are."
--- Joseph LeDoux, 2002 (in Synaptic Self)
Where are they going?
The round file (trash). Seriously a thought generally leads to another one or generates a feeling or spinning a story. I become aware of a thought perhaps with loads of ugly energy, go into it, contact something stored, it releases with a rush of energy. Over and over again...
Yes, I do it all the time. Waking up from a daydream, delusion, off topic meandering...
Not exactly, fishing around in a topic is as close to predicting what might come up is as close as I could get.
Oh how nice would THAT be! But actually I chose to see through it, to reveal its hold on me, the Sankhara.
No I, and I learned "I" is also a thought here on LU! A very nice realization BTW. ;-)
"I" is the creation of something that takes credit for all this, that owns this sense of bill.
An amazing biological computer that is soooo helpful and appreciated, but has a tendency to run amok!
Tricky one here, I'll go with there is no actual Thinker. Just thoughts coming together somehow making sense like just the right ingredients coming together to make bread.
That blew my mind when I first read it here on LU. I felt quite a release turning the "I" around and seeing it as a thought. Understanding really started to fall into place then.

Sincerely,
bill

Return to “ARCHIVES”