i would like a guide

This is a read-only part of the forum. All threads where seeing happens are stored here and come from this forum, the Facebook guiding area and various LU blogs. The complete list, sorted by guide, contains all links. The archives include threads of those that came to LU already seeing as well.
tanyawilliams86

i would like a guide

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 am

hi,i have been inquiring into the nature of 'my' true self since march this year. I know intellectually that ego/mind is not real and have briefly recognized an aware space where thoughts have dropped away. I have been asking 'who am I?','what is behind the fear thoughts/feelings. I can't find the ego as an entity inside 'me'. I have come to the point where guidance from someone who has lifted the veil is much needed

Armstrong

Re: i would like a guide

Postby Armstrong » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:07 am

Great! I can guide you.

It would be good to know what expectations you have. How do you think life will change when you find out you don't have a self?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:32 am

[quote="It would be good to know what expectations you have. How do you think life will change when you find out you don't have a self?[/quote]

My expectations is to be guided on how to not be dominated by ego/mind and discover 'my' true nature.I need help letting go of anxieties around body image and shyness/introversion.

Life will just flow and happen like it does without any resistance from me.I will not suffer life so much (especially parenting my daughter)

thanks so much for 'doing ' this

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello and welcome! Reading your post, it sounds like you've come to the right place.

That idea that you "need help letting go of anxieties..." is going to make it more difficult to do this. Or the idea that life will somehow be fantastic, or that you'll see fancy colors, etc. Basically, if you "know" you are broken, you probably "want" to be fixed. But how would you know that's ever been done? Anyway, let's drop that worry for now.

My role here is to lead you through some direct pointing exercises. You'll see whatever you see.

If you are ready to start:

1) please confirm that you've read the disclaimer located here http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/

2) please confirm that you are OK having me be your guide.

3) say which of these doesn't work for you:

You agree to post at least once a day. If you are busy, just a "still here" let's us know you are still there.

You'll answer questions honestly, based on your senses, not your thinking. Please avoid personal details in your responses. I won't ask personal questions.

Let's try to keep things short, eschewing long answers, analytical answers, wordy answers. It is easier for you, for me and for the others that will read this. We'll get much better feedback from other guidems if there's less words for them to wade through when we're done.

Please don't worry that we'll miss things due to the last point. If things are ambiguous or I'm curious, I'll ask more questions.

You agree to put aside your nonduality teachings, meditation teaching and philosophies until we finish - eg videos, articles and books. The point isn't to starve you of intellectual food; ramping up the thinking - which seems to be what consuming media does - doesn't help us to talk about it in a fresh way. Do your daily meditation practice.

Please look at this and use the quote function. It will make it easier on me and the other guides: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

4) if you have any requests, please let me know

5) let's avoid using names. If I write a message here, it is for you and vice versa.

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:05 pm

1) please confirm that you've read the disclaimer located here http://liberationunleashed.com/disclaimer-2/
#1 agreed
2) please confirm that you are OK having me be your guide.
#2 agreed
3) say which of these doesn't work for you:

You agree to post at least once a day. If you are busy, just a "still here" let's us know you are still there.
# agreed

You'll answer questions honestly, based on your senses, not your thinking. Please avoid personal details in your responses. I won't ask personal questions.
#agreed

Let's try to keep things short, eschewing long answers, analytical answers, wordy answers. It is easier for you, for me and for the others that will read this. We'll get much better feedback from other guidems if there's less words for them to wade through when we're done.
#agreed
You agree to put aside your nonduality teachings, meditation teaching and philosophies until we finish - eg videos, articles and books. The point isn't to starve you of intellectual food; ramping up the thinking - which seems to be what consuming media does - doesn't help us to talk about it in a fresh way. Do your daily meditation practice.
#hmmm this will be a hard one but I'll do it.

I'm not looking for self help with anxieties as they seem to dissolving by themselves

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 pm

#hmmm this will be a hard one but I'll do it.
Ooops - that's my mistake. Please forgive me for being imprecise.

I didn't mean to tell you to do your daily meditation practice, but rather, "go ahead and do it if you want to."

The point is to stop reading about no-self, enlightenment, etc -- because the primary task you'll be involved in is carefully looking at your actual experience. The more words you read, the more difficult for you to look at your actual experience.

And on the other hand, meditation practice, if you do it, might help you to carefully look at your actual experience. We might get done with this process quicker.
I'm not looking for self help with anxieties as they seem to dissolving by themselves
It is unfortunate if you got the idea that I'm here to help you with your anxieties - and likely my fault due to me being imprecise. I'm only here to ask you questions about your "direct experience" of reality.

If you'd like to continue, let's get started:

If you type or tap out a sentence with your keyboard or phone, do you perceive a key (or phone screen), the tapping sensation and a tapper (aka "you")? If you try to find a tapper, can you find it? Or is it more accurate to say that you only perceive touch (along with motion)?

And if you consider seeing, can you find a thing or person that does the seeing (and the object)? Or is there likewise only the seeing - the experience of color?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 am

[

no, it's ok I now see i don't need help with them as they're illusory

If you type or tap out a sentence with your keyboard or phone, do you perceive a key (or phone screen), the tapping sensation and a tapper (aka "you")? If you try to find a tapper, can you find it? Or is it more accurate to say that you only perceive touch (along with motion)?
I perceive touch and motion only
And if you consider seeing, can you find a thing or person that does the seeing (and the object)? Or is there likewise only the seeing - the experience of color?
I can't find a person. There's only seeing colours and forms

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 am

If you sit quietly a bit, do you notice any thoughts? Do you volitionally create them? Do you choose their content?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 am

If you sit quietly a bit, do you notice any thoughts? Do you volitionally create them? Do you choose their content?
# yes i had a few thoughts. I don't choose them they just appear in my head, there is no creating them

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 am

... they just appear in my head.
1) That sounds very specific. Do they really appear in your head? Where?
2) Is a thought aware of anything, the way you are aware of the ground under your feet?
3) Does a thought know anything, the way you know your name or where you are?
4) Does a thought know you, the aware-er?
5) Has a thought ever arisen without you knowing it?
6) Do thoughts appear one at a time, or can you have multiple thoughts at the same time?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:54 am

yes they come from where the brain is behind my eyes
2) Is a thought aware of anything, the way you are aware of the ground under your feet?
no, it's just a bunch of words
3) Does a thought know anything, the way you know your name or where you are?
hmmm I'm not sure.I want to say no but how do know something without thought?
4) Does a thought know you, the aware-er?
No,awareness knows them because without awareness there's nothing to know them
5) Has a thought ever arisen without you knowing it?
sometimes there's thought noise, an unformed thought
6) Do thoughts appear one at a time, or can you have multiple thoughts at the same time?
one at a time

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 am

yes they come from where the brain is behind my eyes
1) In direct experience, how do you know you have a brain? Do you see it in your visual field? Hear it?

2) If you lightly touch one lower eyelid with one finger and another lower eyelid with another finger, such that you can feel the round shape of your eyeballs and take another hand and cup the back of your head, and rest a bit, do the thoughts seem to be in your head? By what sense do you know this?

3)
Does a thought know anything, the way you know your name or where you are?
hmmm I'm not sure.I want to say no but how do know something without thought?

That wording on the question is a bit tricky. You have thoughts. You say that because you *know* you have them. You not only *know* that you have them, but you've described them as a bunch of words. Can a bunch of words know anything? The point of this question is to get at the nature of words; can a word or a bunch of words know anything? Here are some words, "I want coffee" - do the words know anything?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 am

1) In direct experience, how do you know you have a brain? Do you see it in your visual field? Hear it?
i guess i don't know i have one.I can't see it or hear it.
2) If you lightly touch one lower eyelid with one finger and another lower eyelid with another finger, such that you can feel the round shape of your eyeballs and take another hand and cup the back of your head, and rest a bit, do the thoughts seem to be in your head? By what sense do you know this?
yes they do seem to be in the head but also in the middle of my chest. it doesn't come from any of the 5 senses

That wording on the question is a bit tricky. You have thoughts. You say that because you *know* you have them. You not only *know* that you have them, but you've described them as a bunch of words. Can a bunch of words know anything? The point of this question is to get at the nature of words; can a word or a bunch of words know anything? Here are some words, "I want coffee" - do the words know anything?
No words don't know anything

Armstrong

Postby Armstrong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

i guess i don't know i have one.I can't see it or hear it.
OK. Can you sense a brain by any of hearing, seeing, feeling, smelling or tasting?
yes they do seem to be in the head but also in the middle of my chest. it doesn't come from any of the 5 senses
OK, if thoughts are a bunch of words, they are appearing on a background. Imagine a billboard with words on it. The words are like the thought. The billboard is the background. Can you direct your attention to the background on which thoughts appear and disappear? Where does it seem to be? Does it have borders?

And something *knows* the thoughts. If you notice a thought and direct your attention to the thing that knows you had a thought, where is it? What are its qualities?

tanyawilliams86

Postby tanyawilliams86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:11 am

OK. Can you sense a brain by any of hearing, seeing, feeling, smelling or tasting?
no that is impossible :)
OK, if thoughts are a bunch of words, they are appearing on a background. Imagine a billboard with words on it. The words are like the thought. The billboard is the background. Can you direct your attention to the background on which thoughts appear and disappear? Where does it seem to be? Does it have borders?
it's everywhere,no borders
And something *knows* the thoughts. If you notice a thought and direct your attention to the thing that knows you had a thought, where is it? What are its qualities?
i don't know where it is. I'm confused. it has no qualities it is empty

Return to “ARCHIVES”