Any guide up for a challenge?.......

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
Metta777

Re: Any guide up for a challenge?.......

Postby Metta777 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:57 am

Hi Badger,

I would like you to try a Zen exercise, it is called Serious sitting. Unless you have some physical disability and cannot do it. There has to be a commitment to this and performing this as it is instructed. So before doing it go to the bathroom, eat or whatever before sitting. Meditate in the lotus position if possible or the way you usually do it. Sit for the meditation for one hour, you must not move. You may become uncomfortable, but we are going to use this discomfort to our advantage. So don't move to relieve the discomfort, stay with it. At first focus on the discomfort that is occurring, for 5 minutes or whatever is tolerable. Stay with it, give it attention, love it. Now shift your focus out, the pain or discomfort is spreading out,out, out through your entire body all the way to your head. Now, contract your awareness or focus again to the uncomfortable sensation, focus on it, feel it,love it, let it sing through your awareness. Now again shift the focus to expansion, contraction, expand,contract, expand. After one hour, set a timer to go off, you can massage your feet or legs or whatever. A feeling of numbness may be there it won't hurt you. Also, there may be a spreading sensation you may feel it or not, but it may just happen subconsciously, but something will be set into motion.
Also, on occasion there mental noise, things said in your brain that might shock you, unpleasant things. Just notice them, let them pass, float by and continue on. This is not unusual, so nothing to worry about. It might not even happen.

If you notice nothing, one more session of two hours may be done. Practice the same contraction, expansion of sensation in the body as described above. Then please while fresh write about any thing that comes up during this exercise so we can discuss it. Since I am on vacation until Mon, I may or may not be able to get in touch until then.

Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Badgerbob

Postby Badgerbob » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks Metta. I'm off work on Tuesday morning, so I'll have the time to fully dedicate to your exercise. Looks like a tough one, but I'll give it my best shot! In the meantime, if there's anything else you want me to try/ponder over, just let me know.

Badgerbob

Postby Badgerbob » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

Wow that was tough! A real mixed bag. The first hour was mainly a struggle with thoughts (some pretty weird, like a dream) and boredom. After a short break, the second hour was more of the same, but with some deeper, powerful moments thrown in for good measure.

I found it hard to concentrate because I was trying to not focus on anything in particular. Some say "sink into the 'I' thought or the 'I Am'"; others say "just let awareness watch awareness" (whatever that means?) and yet others "relax and just be". At various times I tried all these, but it felt most powerful for me when I just occasionally repeated the word 'I' in my mind, to help me focus. For a few seconds it was like some mind-bending drug, but thinking of it now, I can't really recall or describe it. Weird.

I would like to do that more often, but I don't think I have the stamina for it! I'm used to meditation sessions of no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I think I'd go mental if I did much more of that! :) or not?

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 am

Hi Bob,

Did you do the contraction, expansion part, it was very important. We are using the discomfort in a positive way here. when the body is still for an hour without moving at all there is bound to be some discomfort. the expansion,contraction of focus starts a process, but also shows something of the nature of awareness and perception. If you did it, then please tell me what your experience was of that particular part of the exercise. If not, try to do one hour again and practice the expansion and contraction part and get back to me with what was experienced. Also give some thought as to how it changed perception of awareness if it did. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:48 am

Hi Bob,

One more thing, try what is called " the Effortless Effort", don't try to concentrate so much as float and just let thoughts register but flow by without any particular attention to them. then when doing the exercise of changing focus, bring gentle concentration to that part of expansion of sensation and then contraction of sensation to a focal point then back out. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Badgerbob

Postby Badgerbob » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 pm

I didn't really understand the contraction/expansion thing to be honest Metta. As it happens, I had no discomfort whatsoever for the full hour! Mind you, I was sat in a comfy chair; my bones would have seized up within 10 minutes otherwise. I'll try that Effortless Effort thing tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Badgerbob

Postby Badgerbob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

Well, this session was mainly thinking, thinking, thinking. No thoughts in particular, just more of a random, nonsensical dreamlike quality. It felt like a complete waste of time. 20-30 minutes of this I can put up with, but an hour was torture!

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Bob,

That is why it is called "serious sitting". The contraction,expansion is this. It works well, in changing perception. The idea is to pick a sensation that is occurring while meditating, preferably something that is uncomfortable. You won't die or have any permanent harm from your legs feeling like they are falling asleep or some other discomfort.
Focus on that uncomfortable spot, which naturally will increase the intensity of the sensation, now imagine that the sensation is spreading throughout your whole body. Keep imagining this until you have filled your body with the sensation to the top of your head. Bring your focus back after to the uncomfortable spot, (contract, now expand again to feeling it in your whole body.It sets a process in motion. It is not really important that you understand anything intellectually.This whole experience is not about that. It is questioning what you believe to be true. You believe there is a self and experience things in a certain way. This is a way to move out of that.
You really have to be committed to the process to work this one.

The mind has been trained to see things as separate , the original true state is at birth. No conditioning, no labels, just experiencing as it is. With conditioning it is seeing through a filter. Take a picture and look at it upside down. don't label or think about it, just experience it. It will be difficult because your brain will instantaneously jump into action to make sense of it. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Badgerbob

Postby Badgerbob » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:42 am

Just letting you know Metta, I'm away till Monday with no wifi. Speak soon, Paul.

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Paul, Okay, Enjoy.
Metta
"This too shall pass"

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Paul,

A couple of things, Neil or Cosmik said he did skype you but didn't here anything back. Just passing this along.
I have decided not to guide anymore, if you wish to keep in touch I am okay with that, we can still discuss. Or you can just post yourself for another guide on the board. I hope you enjoyed your weekend. Love, Metta
"This too shall pass"

Metta777

Postby Metta777 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:38 am

Hi Paul,
Here is an excellent group to find what you are looking for. You must send request for entrance ,it is a closed group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheDirectPathGroup/

If you are still committed to it. Metta
"This too shall pass"

Return to “THE GATE”