Do I see that there is no me?

Welcome to the main forum. When you are ready to start a conversation, register and once your application is processed a guide will come to talk to you.
This is one-on-one style forum, one thread per green member.
xyzzy

Do I see that there is no me?

Postby xyzzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 am

How do I know whether or not I see that there is no me?

Ilona
Site Admin

Re: Do I see that there is no me?

Postby Ilona » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 am

If there is still I that needs to know, then you don't.

xyzzy

Postby xyzzy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 am

I've been going around in circles on this for months.

I see that there is no me, but it doesn't change my life in any way. As I'm going through my life, I still think and feel as if there's a me. I know that there is no me, but this is information that just sits on a shelf in my mind and has no effect on anything.

So then I think, well, maybe I don't really see that there's no me, and I only believe it intellectually, so I try to look at whether there's a me and try to find some deeper sort of seeing which would have some sort of impact. This doesn't lead anywhere, though.

And really, this is all fueled by the fact that I find life to be unsatisfying, there's a feeling that something is missing, a desire for something meaningful or good or whatever, I don't know what it is that is missing. So there's an attempt to try to solve this by looking for some experience of no self.

So, do I see that there's no me?

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm

No.
If it was seen, there wouldn't be such question.

What is incomplete?
Would anything need to change?
What exactly?

xyzzy

Postby xyzzy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 am

No.
If it was seen, there wouldn't be such question.

What is incomplete?
Would anything need to change?
What exactly?
Life is incomplete, this experience is incomplete. Life is neutral, rather than being good, and this is what would need to change.

It feels as if there is a me, as if this experience has a future. So then there's the need to solve all of the problems of the future now. Life not being good is one of these problems.

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 am

I'd say focus on looking and noticing what is right here right now, all problems are imagined. Life does not need to be fixed, only confused mind thinks so.
What right now is incomplete?

xyzzy

Postby xyzzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 am

I'd say focus on looking and noticing what is right here right now, all problems are imagined. Life does not need to be fixed, only confused mind thinks so.
What right now is incomplete?
Right now, nothing is imcomplete. Right now, I see that there is no me.

But it won't last, it never does. Seeing that there is no me is an experience, which is forgotten before long. Meanwhile, the belief in a me remains, that never goes away, and so life continues to be filtered through the belief in a me.

Seeing that there is no me doesn't stick, it doesn't last. Why is this?

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Right now is all there ever is. And any time you look, it's here- just like that.
What do you want to last?

xyzzy

Postby xyzzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Right now is all there ever is. And any time you look, it's here- just like that.
What do you want to last?
Seeing that there is no me.

Right now, when I look, I don't see that there is no me. I see it intellectually, but I don't feel it. There's a feeling of uncertainty. I think there is probably no me, but I'm not entirely sure.

I said in my previous message that it wasn't going to last, and it didn't. It never does. So why is it that other people can continue to see that there is no self, when I can't?

Ilona
Site Admin

Postby Ilona » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm

you can not possible know how it is for other people. you can only imagine and believe your stories.
and how do you feel something that isn't there? you can imagine something and feel sensation when you think of an image, but that's about it.

if you close your eyes for a couple of minutes and imagine holding a melon between your hands, you can feel the shape and size texture in imagination, but when you open your eyes, is that melon there? what happens to it? was it a real melon there for a bit? how about those sensations, can you feel an absence of the melon?

play with this and write what you learned.

Return to “THE GATE”